• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no banter to contribute, I find it difficult to both be funny and to argue in English :rolleyes:

But as I spend a boring week indoors isolated positive with Covid, let me share my two Day-Dates :satisfied: First a 1965 1803 with a very cool and short production run dial, love the indexes on this one. Case condition could be better, but the way the dial changes from silver to champagne more than makes up for it. Recent purchase, head only and still looking for the perfect strap.
View attachment 1744928
Next up is my 18239 with a factory diamond dial. Perfect for shoveling snow, Norwegian date disc and all. Perhaps for holiday drinks by the pool as well, I can’t remember what that was like :tongue:
View attachment 1744931
Interesting to see the diamond dial with what looks like a relatively casual outfit. I was talking with my wife's boss around Christmas and noticed he was wearing a yellow gold, diamond dial Day-Date in 40mm. Dial seemed just a little too large in that configuration, but he's a pretty trim and lanky guy so it could have been that. What size is yours?

NonServiam

Reaction score
Interesting to see the diamond dial with what looks like a relatively casual outfit. I was talking with my wife's boss around Christmas and noticed he was wearing a yellow gold, diamond dial Day-Date in 40mm. Dial seemed just a little too large in that configuration, but he's a pretty trim and lanky guy so it could have been that. What size is yours?

I only do casual. Very hard to shovel snow in a tux. This is the right sized DD, 36 mm. I count myself lucky to have “vintage sized” wrists :laugh:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally giving my Speedy a break. I got this strap for my DateJust, but since it’s off getting engraved, I threw it on my Sub and it works well...especially during the blizzard conditions in which I presently dwell...

1E2B2D8A-418D-48EB-903E-3165A56724C5.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep.

In all seriousness, I do not know if there is a single perpetual calendar that is available to purchase now that is near as lovely as the 1980s perpetual calendars pumped out by the big three.

Yeah...That's a great looking watch...so well-proportioned/balanced! (Just saw an IG post about it...haha...news travels fast...)

Not crazy about the hands and sticks, though...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...That's a great looking watch...so well-proportioned/balanced! (Just saw an IG post about it...haha...news travels fast...)

Not crazy about the hands and sticks, though...

I like the slim baton hands (I guess they are baton hands) on a watch like this. Even with the hands obscuring the perpetual calendar information everything is legible.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep.

In all seriousness, I do not know if there is a single perpetual calendar that is available to purchase now that is near as lovely as the 1980s perpetual calendars pumped out by the big three.
I particularly like the IWC Novecento with the Kurt Klaus module, all functions controlled through the crown. I believe this was produced in 1985. Has always disturbed me that PP, VC and AP never bothered to respect the market, with this innovation, as IWC once did.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IWC Novecento with the Kurt Klaus module

As the owner of an annual calendar with a short power reserve, it really is a pain in the butt to set the watch and use the pushers. I agree, some additional interaction with the crown would be appreciated.

I am not familiar with the history of this, but I really love having functionality with pushing in the crown. For example:

Separately, that slow retrograde date is unbelievably cool.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of where the market is, I do not think there is a better deal than "neo-vintage" - this clocks in somewhere under $30,000.

View attachment 1745029

Beautiful AP!!! Values on a lot of pieces from the 1980s are kept in that range due to size. Simple time only pieces were often 33 or 34mm, with more complicated pieces being 36mm. Even AP's RO and Patek's Nautilus shrunk and most were offered most in a 36mm case (although yes Jumbo's were still available). Today, people expect larger/bolder cases and lugs, so many piece from the 80's are a bit tougher to sell. But they can represent a great value to those who like the size and those designs.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I particularly like the IWC Novecento with the Kurt Klaus module, all functions controlled through the crown. I believe this was produced in 1985. Has always disturbed me that PP, VC and AP never bothered to respect the market, with this innovation, as IWC once did.

Absolutely, love IWC's Novencento! The first time I saw one was in the mid 90's. A client from Italy who was a big "Watch guy" back then came in wearing a 16518 yellow gold Daytona on a strap one wrist and a yellow gold Novecento on his other wrist. He didn't believe in world time or GMT watches, as this gave him an opportunity to wear 2 of his watches per day. The Novecento was stunning, and one rarely sees a rectangular perpetual calendar. I saw one for sale in a store about a year ago, but the condition wasn't quite as nice as I would have liked it to be. Otherwise I would have purchased it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads