• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. Do you feel the same way regarding precious metals, or just things like enamel dials and other handcrafted features?

Depends on the premium for the precious metal.

RobinMA

Reaction score

RobinMA

Reaction score
I hate to tell you but your TheFoo ship has set sail.

You’ve got to let that lost love sail off into the sunset.

He’s embarked on moving the goal post once again after all.

An explorer without an Explorer if you will.

The life of an IB/PE baller leaves little time to participate in something as silly as this thread.

More Richemont trash without case flaws please!

Serious question - dont you think this Foo-bashing is really bordering on mobbing?

Look. There is a guy who owns more supercar-level watches than most of us here. Upper class, top uni, IB. Prototype SF member, instead of 40,000$ millionaires with Big Pony poloshorts from the outlet village.

Just tone it down a bit, will you?

RobinMA

Reaction score
Like I said, the price is stupid. But, to be fair, it’s more like a $15K watch without the engraving/enamel.

Arent many of PP's enamel handcrafts with Lake Gevener scenes also based on a pedestrian 5196/5296 minus date window?

Now, the ultimate Fuckology the Fuckmeister would be.....

....a Quartz Aquanaut, no: a Quartz Epillipse d'Or with an enamel dial.

Platinum Quarz Aquanaut with enamel Disney dial.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Richemont trash question - if an AD carries some Richemont brands, but not others...do you think it is possible for them to order a watch from one of the other brands that they are not explicitly listed as an AD for?

I got a "no" when I was in Vacheron and got into a side convo about Lange. The SA had previously worked at the Lange boutique and seemed happy to help me with them - if I decided on that direction - but could only really order Vacheron (I believe...it's possible I misunderstood...). There seems to be a lot of overlap between the boutiques, but ultimately still in their own lanes. Not sure if this is specifically regional or pervasive...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a "no" when I was in Vacheron and got into a side convo about Lange. The SA had previously worked at the Lange boutique and seemed happy to help me with them - if I decided on that direction - but could only really order Vacheron (I believe...it's possible I misunderstood...). There seems to be a lot of overlap between the boutiques, but ultimately still in their own lanes. Not sure if this is specifically regional or pervasive...

Ah, gotcha...yea the one AD I pop into every now and then has all the brands that I like with the exception of ALS but they do carry a number of other Richemont brands but with the current state of Rolex, I'd hate to break up my any potential spend across different ADs

thuhoan

Reaction score
Richemont trash question - if an AD carries some Richemont brands, but not others...do you think it is possible for them to order a watch from one of the other brands that they are not explicitly listed as an AD for?
My AD couldn't. Dropped the deal with Cartier and JLC and was not able to order a Santos for me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Arent many of PP's enamel handcrafts with Lake Gevener scenes also based on a pedestrian 5196/5296 minus date window?

Now, the ultimate Fuckology the Fuckmeister would be.....

....a Quartz Aquanaut, no: a Quartz Epillipse d'Or with an enamel dial.

Platinum Quarz Aquanaut with enamel Disney dial.

They are generally based on a 5296 case, yes, but they also use the caliber 240 micro-rotor movement. The 5296 was a ~$30K watch. With the thinner caliber 240, it could easily have been in the ~$35K range. In other words, a completely different universe versus a basic Reverso in gold.

But more important is the difference in enamel work! What Patek does is in a different stratosphere versus the simple tiger on the $100K Reverso in question. Plus, these enameled Calatravas go for $80-100K (last I checked).

The JLC folks are either high on something or hoping enough people are super stupid with both their eyes and wallets.

B21F642B-ADA7-4BBB-95F6-46FAFEC06F6A.jpeg

FBA9D421-8AB6-417C-B946-2A59A0A35747.jpeg

F8B4EFAD-CF98-4FED-B3D0-4333C1EE121C.jpeg

D5B9A6D4-D315-4089-AE36-A30967537E50.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. Do you feel the same way regarding precious metals, or just things like enamel dials and other handcrafted features?
Depends on the premium for the precious metal.

Pretty much what Foo said. Depends on the premium. I do struggle to find value in a JLC gold watch, for example.

For me, the distinction between JLC and Patek RHC is, while they are the same price ($80k plus), the underlying watch is much nicer with the Patek RHC. If the JLC reverso was finished to a different, higher standard I could easily change my mind. (Note: it would be awesome if JLC had a higher end reverso).

I think the Oris is a better example with my beef. An enamel, artisan dial when the remainder is like 1/26 of the total price of the watch. At least with Patek RHC the dial is 2/3 or less of the total price of the watch.

And yes, I understand this is arbitrary. And I have zero interest in buying a Patek RHC when I could buy something more horologically, yet less artistically, interesting.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much what Foo said. Depends on the premium. I do struggle to find value in a JLC gold watch, for example.

For me, the distinction between JLC and Patek RHC is, while they are the same price ($80k plus), the underlying watch is much nicer with the Patek RHC. If the JLC reverso was finished to a different, higher standard I could easily change my mind. (Note: it would be awesome if JLC had a higher end reverso).

I think the Oris is a better example with my beef. An enamel, artisan dial when the remainder is like 1/26 of the total price of the watch. At least with Patek RHC the dial is 2/3 or less of the total price of the watch.

And yes, I understand this is arbitrary. And I have zero interest in buying a Patek RHC when I could buy something more horologically, yet less artistically, interesting.

I kind of want the bald eagle Calatrava.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those enamel Pateks look like decorative plates that people buy on QVC. I'm sure the quality is great, but good lord can you imagine the response if you saw something similar in a Stauer watch ad in Road & Track?

The engraved JLC is just one of numerous cash grabs ... sorry special offerings ... we see tied to the lunar new year. This year it's tiger and we will see similar commercial special editions across any number of asset classes. I guess there must be a demand for it but let's not pretend that there was some other motivation here. There is no purpose in comparing it to other watches unless those watches are competing for lunar new year bucks.

The Oris is similar obvious cash grab but I don't know much about the story so it may not be new year related.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads