• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project.

The process, details, contemplation, etc. are indeed a lot of the fun. I’ve never been someone able to find much success with instant gratification. The good news is that I spend less this way (well, maybe more in larger but less frequent chunks).

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13BBC7FC-13A3-466F-9D4C-00BBF7CF8E79.jpeg

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading your post, it seems like you wouldn't wear your Explorer to go mountain biking, wake boarding, or mountain climbing (one of the things that made the Explorer famous), because it's not interesting or a new enough design. But I'm not sure what problems a new design would actually solve for you as you go mountain biking or mountain climbing?

Sure, many people, myself included probably consider traditional criteria when evaluating a watch. Design, workmanship, functions/purpose (if it is a diving watch, GMT, chronograph etc), history, etc. I probably consider standard old school ideas as a way a measure a watch against competitors just as I would use certain criteria if comparing suit brands, or other items.

I guess I look at RM and I struggle to see that they solved a problem, beyond you finding them interesting. IMHO, RMs simple time only watch is their best looking watch, most of the others I find relatively gimmicky and unattractive.

I wouldn't wear my explorer mountain climbing for the same reason that almost no one wears a sub to go diving (@ronscuba). When I say new design, you are probably thinking a typical Rolex in 304 steel with an oyster case and oyster bracelet. I am thinking of something that's actually different but it's preposterous to even discuss since we all know that Rolex isn't interested in making new watches.

For starters, why won't Rolex make a carbon case? RM has carbon cases that weigh just a few grams and also form the baseplate for movements. That's interesting. A small change in lug width, bezel material or whether to polish centerlinks is not compelling to me but that's all Rolex has for us. Apart from incremental improvement to its movements, what's the most interesting thing Rolex has done in the last few decades? Probably ceramic bezels. And ... that's it. I think the Pelagos is more interesting than anything Rolex has done in a long time.

To some extent, discussing my views here is like talking about which bespoke suit is best for playing basketball. It makes sense that most people enjoy mechanical watches in a way that's congruent with the watches being offered by the industry leaders. I am more interested in the mechanical side (but not the traditional hallmarks of movement quality like hand finishing and 18th century complications) than the aesthetic details. I recognize that puts me on an island in this thread.

RM is fashion.

Awesome fashion!

Why isn’t that enough?

But that’s what it is.
That's besides the point I've been making. I don't even like the way RMs look so fashion is not part of the appeal for me at all.

I don't dispute that the vast majority of people buy RM for reasons unrelated to my interest. This thread is primarily jewelry-focused (when people aren't discussing their relationship with their ADs) and I brought this up as an alternate discussion point that I found interesting but obviously it's not resonating with other people.

I think one of the reasons I haven't bought a new mechanical watch in a few years (I think my last purchase was in 2016) is because my interests don't line up that well with what the watch industry is selling. I find RM's product positioning, if not always the end result, to be something I do find interesting.

I have an appreciation for mountain bikes for some of the same reasons and it hasn't escaped me that unlike mountain bikes, mechanical watches really aren't the best tool for any particular job. I still enjoy this thread and reading what you all are talking about even if I don't aspire the own the jewelry that seems to be popular with most watch enthusiasts.

I’m not going to argue. I would, however, ask you to read your own comment a few times and ruminate on it...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's 2022, why doesn't Rolex have a new watch line for the X games generation?
INTRODUCING NEW ROLEX XXXTREME, BRAH! POWERED… BY THE BLOCKCHAIN! FORGET COSC! THIS WATCH HAS A DIRECT LINE INTO ROGAN! AND IT’S SUPLEX-PROOF SO YOU CAN GET YOUR BJJ IN! SEE IT ON THE WRISTS OF CONOR MCGREGOR AND GINA CARANO!!! AND IT’S VACCINE PROOF!! NATURAL IMMUNITY BRAH!
I predict the Journe bubble is going to pop particularly spectacularly.
you saying the mania’s… gonna ad-Journe? I’ll show myself out.
Some watches will help you run .000001298 faster, but this mf will save your life in a finely calculated engine burn situation...
What about the Breitling emergency watch? That thing is supposed to be able to save your life!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
INTRODUCING NEW ROLEX XXXTREME, BRAH! POWERED… BY THE BLOCKCHAIN! FORGET COSC! THIS WATCH HAS A DIRECT LINE INTO ROGAN! AND IT’S SUPLEX-PROOF SO YOU CAN GET YOUR BJJ IN! SEE IT ON THE WRISTS OF CONOR MCGREGOR AND GINA CARANO!!! AND IT’S VACCINE PROOF!! NATURAL IMMUNITY BRAH!
you saying the mania’s… gonna ad-Journe? I’ll show myself out.

What about the Breitling emergency watch? That thing is supposed to be able to save your life!

Yeah, but Breitling brand identity is gauche as ****...sometimes death is better than watches unworthy of IG. I mean, IG aside, it’s not an investment piece...have you been paying attention to anything?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen that recent Hodinkee feature with Ben C and Ed Sheeran?

At one point Ed is kind of like “I’m a douche bag and RM is too douchey for me, so...draw your own conclusions...”

Ed is a douche. So, no need to take him too seriously here, but a point is being made...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Ed is actually really great in the video, but the point remains...)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
totally fux bro!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not commenting on the issue of whether these athletes wear these watches for "performance" or just for money.

I'd like to see Phil Mickelson wear his ubiquitous Cellini during an actual tournament and not only for the cameras when he lifts a trophy.

So, interestingly, Phil wore the same Celini for so many years, in part, because wearing a watch changes the effective swingweight of the clubs. In other words, wearing it/ not wearing it/ wearing a different watch would change how the clubs felt when he swung them. Nothing insurmountable obviously, but creatures of habit, etc.

I think he changed to a newer white gold from the yellow gold one he used to wear fairly recently, but I'm not certain.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear my explorer mountain climbing for the same reason that almost no one wears a sub to go diving (@ronscuba). When I say new design, you are probably thinking a typical Rolex in 304 steel with an oyster case and oyster bracelet. I am thinking of something that's actually different but it's preposterous to even discuss since we all know that Rolex isn't interested in making new watches.

For starters, why won't Rolex make a carbon case? RM has carbon cases that weigh just a few grams and also form the baseplate for movements. That's interesting. A small change in lug width, bezel material or whether to polish centerlinks is not compelling to me but that's all Rolex has for us. Apart from incremental improvement to its movements, what's the most interesting thing Rolex has done in the last few decades? Probably ceramic bezels. And ... that's it. I think the Pelagos is more interesting than anything Rolex has done in a long time.

To some extent, discussing my views here is like talking about which bespoke suit is best for playing basketball. It makes sense that most people enjoy mechanical watches in a way that's congruent with the watches being offered by the industry leaders. I am more interested in the mechanical side (but not the traditional hallmarks of movement quality like hand finishing and 18th century complications) than the aesthetic details. I recognize that puts me on an island in this thread.

I thought the main reason most people don't wear a Sub or other mechanical dive watch for diving is because most modern divers use dive computers. I've worn Rolexes swimming (I don't dive). They got a few scratches, they survived.

If high tech materials are your thing there are other makers besides RM, who have produced watches in materials such as carbon, titanium, tantalum etc. RM is futuristic, but to me they seem like a lot of independents who make futuristic watches (Urwerk, MB&F, Vianney Halter etc) that are bold but weird looking. Although, looks are subjective and no watch can be everything to everyone.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes, I wear a dive computer so a dive watch serves no purpose. I also would not wear a nice watch on a dive because it would get scratched and banged up.

Last edited:

RobinMA

Reaction score
When I first became aware of RM, via their adverts in "How to spend it", the young IB/PE baller's weekend reading, I though they were a souped-up version of Hublot, in a 10-20k price range.

For me, they embody 2010s spirit, alongside souped up "supercars", steakhouses and "rap" artists with perma-scowl.

BlairW

Reaction score
When I first became aware of RM, via their adverts in "How to spend it", the young IB/PE baller's weekend reading, I though they were a souped-up version of Hublot, in a 10-20k price range.

For me, they embody 2010s spirit, alongside souped up "supercars", steakhouses and "rap" artists with perma-scowl.
You are really laying it on thick with the “IB/PE ballers” statement in every post you make. Is this a phrase coined by yourself that you are besotted with? Or am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads