• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t Max Verstappen wear Tag H? For performance? Give me a ******* break...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
l mean, guys, by your own logic these athletes would benefit further by simply wearing nothing. And yet...
Just shoes and whatever is needed to hold the boys in place down there or girls in place up there. Also tie the hair down or back to keep it out of your face. Wearing watches for sprints is dumb. I can understand for long distance to make sure you're pacing properly.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just shoes and whatever is needed to hold the boys in place down there or girls in place up there. Also tie the hair down or back to keep it out of your face. Wearing watches for sprints is dumb. I can understand for long distance to make sure you're pacing properly.

I love watching F1 and seeing dudes check their lap times via skeleton RMs...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nadal wears his RM on his right wrist. I doubt it would survive the torque he generates with his forehand if he wore it on his left regardless of what RM thinks.
You know why Nadal wears RM at all? Performance? Haha

Guys. Athletes wear RM for money.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least my man Roger Federer just strolls out AFTER the match wearing a dope Rolex (also for money), sparing us the pretense...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn...sorry for ranting...didn’t even know I hated RM until today...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys. Athletes wear RM for money.
No one is disputing this. IWC has hundreds of brand ambassadors and they get paid too. But they don't wear them while sportsing, only while posing. Find us a sprinter wearing a rolex, IWC, patek or anything else.

The fact that actual athletes are willing to wear these things while doing their sports is different. Golfers put on their Rolexes after their rounds because they are required to but they're not wearing them while playing. Obviously if Casio paid enough money, it could get people to wear F91Ws or whatever, but there is a reason you aren't going to find a pro golfer, runner or tennis player strapping on a ******* big pilot, PAM or whatever while earning their keep.

Is it a gimmick? Sure, this whole consumerist hobby is bullshit. Honestly you have to be sort of foolish to believe otherwise. At least RM carries the bullshit all the way from start to end.

No. A lot of them are just a jewelry that can show you time. But a lot of them are indeed just a gimmick - looks like ****, solves no problems, 15$ quartz watch does better job at time keeping.
This pretty much says it all. I find RM interesting because they have carved out a niche based on an entirely different formulation of the product space than the existing players.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't even wear IWC at all until after he gets out of the car!

While driving, he just has a picture of a watch on his glove.
Please tell me it’s a digital image/NFT of an RM...

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is disputing this. IWC has hundreds of brand ambassadors and they get paid too. But they don't wear them while sportsing, only while posing. Find us a sprinter wearing a rolex, IWC, patek or anything else.

The fact that actual athletes are willing to wear these things while doing their sports is different. Golfers put on their Rolexes after their rounds because they are required to but they're not wearing them while playing. Obviously if Casio paid enough money, it could get people to wear F91Ws or whatever, but there is a reason you aren't going to find a pro golfer, runner or tennis player strapping on a ******* big pilot, PAM or whatever while earning their keep.

Is it a gimmick? Sure, this whole consumerist hobby is bullshit. Honestly you have to be sort of foolish to believe otherwise. At least RM carries the bullshit all the way from start to end.

This pretty much says it all. I find RM interesting because they have carved out a niche based on an entirely different formulation of the product space than the existing players.

Ok. I’d describe your parsing here as cool-aid fueled, but ok. To each our own. I generally greatly respect your thoughts on watches. I’m just of a very different attitude here, so, you know - agree to disagree and such...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please tell me it’s a digital image/NFT of an RM...

Rocking the pilot watch!

1643060845217.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you see a SS Tank Must as a daily rocker?
ALternatives??
I think it's a great daily wear.
Yeah, fingers crossed. I think $20K is the low end and $30K is the high end. Either okay with me.
Are they not going to give you at least a specific estimate/quote before they begin work? Or is it such that they believe you can and will pay whatever they eventually charge? And they'll just present you with an invoice when the work is complete and you take delivery?
And the added weight of having a metal Rolex on vs a RM can be huge when sprinting and throw off your technique.
Another big factor is how tight the watch is on your wrist and whether it jangles around. It messes with rhythm, muscle memory, etc. This is one reason why I really only where a $40 Casio digital watch when I'm golfing. It's might and tight in the wrist.

Not commenting on the issue of whether these athletes wear these watches for "performance" or just for money.

I'd like to see Phil Mickelson wear his ubiquitous Cellini during an actual tournament and not only for the cameras when he lifts a trophy.

When you partake in this consumerist hobby, you have to decide what you care about and what you don't.
Very well said.

Doesn’t Max Verstappen wear Tag H? For performance? Give me a ******* break...
On his Instagram apparently he often wears a Daytona.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great daily wear.

Are they not going to give you at least a specific estimate/quote before they begin work? Or is it such that they believe you can and will pay whatever they eventually charge? And they'll just present you with an invoice when the work is complete and you take delivery?

Another big factor is how tight the watch is on your wrist and whether it jangles around. It messes with rhythm, muscle memory, etc. This is one reason why I really only where a $40 Casio digital watch when I'm golfing. It's might and tight in the wrist.

Not commenting on the issue of whether these athletes wear these watches for "performance" or just for money.

I'd like to see Phil Mickelson wear his ubiquitous Cellini during an actual tournament and not only for the cameras when he lifts a trophy.

Very well said.

On his Instagram apparently he often wears a Daytona.

BUT HE WEARS TAG H AT THE RACE BECAUSE PERFORMANCE!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads