• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very close to the top of my shopping list, to the extent I can justify having one. Torn between rose and white gold (40mm).

The blue enamel dial is also a dark horse to consider, probably in white gold. Dunno. Navy dials seem to be more practical in nature, so perhaps best to leave that for the Omegas of the world.

ronscuba

Reaction score
My 0.02 but I don’t like to see divers on leather straps. Seems incongruent to me. You are essentially saying “I have bought this watch which is water’proof’ to a depth of 200 metres and I have ZERO intention of getting it wet!”?

I realise of course that part of the attraction of rugged tool watches is their over-engineering. Something like a speedy which was not intended for the ocean seems to pair better with leather straps.
Well, the whole dive watch category is about looks. Depth ratings 100m or more ? Helium escape valves ? Kind of silly.

As a diver, if I am going to wear a dive watch, it will be vintage style with a leather strap or mesh bracelet.

If I am going diving, I wear a dive computer.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458

Nice score! Yes the other two are not even close. I also have the chorno as my grail...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458

Love this watch so much!!!!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did someone(s) say 1815 Chrono? Paired here with v. plebby J Crew hoodie.

IMG_0504.jpg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Hell of a first post.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, never watch “The American” if you don’t want to become addicted to speedy pro acquisition! Haha!

I bought mine on the bracelet, but have worn it almost exclusively on brown leather strap. Love this watch!!!
It’s too late matey. I’ve seen the film a few times and the fix is in. I’m not that fussed about the minutia I just want a weekend hesalite beater. Seems like approx $4k is the threshold on the grey market but if anyone looking in has a contact that can hook a brutha up please PM me!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the whole dive watch category is about looks. Depth ratings 100m or more ? Helium escape valves ? Kind of silly.

As a diver, if I am going to wear a dive watch, it will be vintage style with a leather strap or mesh bracelet.

If I am going diving, I wear a dive computer.
Yeah we’ve had this before. I’m old school and actually do wear and use a dive watch when I’m diving. I have the most basic hose computer I could get and was half considering just getting analogue gauges!

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
It’s too late matey. I’ve seen the film a few times and the fix is in. I’m not that fussed about the minutia I just want a weekend hesalite beater. Seems like approx $4k is the threshold on the grey market but if anyone looking in has a contact that can hook a brutha up please PM me!
For the current reference, I found grey's right around $5200 or so. They all said not much discounting for the current versions because the rising prices on Omega's side. Happy to put you in contact with my guy.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm presently leaning hard toward Lange 1, but 1815 and Saxonia are still contenders - along with 5196p (need to see one in the metal) and VCT (going to try one on this week).

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yeah we’ve had this before. I’m old school and actually do wear and use a dive watch when I’m diving. I have the most basic hose computer I could get and was half considering just getting analogue gauges!
I use an analog apg and wrist dive computer.

I feel funny wearing a modern style dive watch or paying for deep depth ratings.

But the GO Seaq does look sweet.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458

Clearly, you have not spent enough time on this forum if you declined the privilege of owning a Patek Philippe. Do you have any knowledge of the history of Patek Philippe? What it feels like to have pure Calatrava blood coursing through your veins?

Alas, you are but Richemont swine. Just the sight of the gold chatons makes me physically nauseous.

Now, shifting gears: that is one hell of a watch! Is this the 37mm or 40mm iteration? I prefer the former, but YMMV. In my view, perhaps the most gorgeous time-only watch out there. And the 37mm iteration is something of a bargain! The hands are just gorgeous. I have no doubt it will be an amazing compansion.

Care to let us know your next targets? Lange 1815 Chronograph?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 subdials actually a very common layout by several other makers such as AP, VC, GP, Breguet, and Lange. I personally prefer the 4 identically sizes subdials to Patek's use of a large subdial at 6 including the date, and then smaller subdials at 3 and 9. The lack of symmetry in terms of the subdials on that Patek bothers me. It seemed less evident on their older pieces such as the 3940 and 5040.

This one :inlove: :

1642990931291.png

Why can't VC release watches like this anymore (in a reasonable size)?

Also, at @TheFoo, I look forward to seeing the results of this! Very exciting they were able to accommodate you. I would love to see hands like the Patek 5270P. I think that would be gorgeous.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It came with the watch! Not my favorite stitch thread color, so I’m getting something else.
Didn't realize it came with a bracelet and a strap. Sweet deal. What are you thinking for a strap? I said recently I think most of these Grand Seikos look really good on a more casual strap. I can see that one working with a light colored strap with some suede-like texture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads