• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For continuity, not the 58, but close enough:
View attachment 1742141
View attachment 1742142
-DL
My 0.02 but I don’t like to see divers on leather straps. Seems incongruent to me. You are essentially saying “I have bought this watch which is water’proof’ to a depth of 200 metres and I have ZERO intention of getting it wet!”?

I realise of course that part of the attraction of rugged tool watches is their over-engineering. Something like a speedy which was not intended for the ocean seems to pair better with leather straps.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey gang, wanted to ask for some advice. Gonna have a baby in September, looking to celebrate.

I'm looking for an everyday dress watch, maybe <$10k. Would love a complication in addition to time and date, with GMT being my favorite. 38-40mm. Steel case with a leather strap are also heavily preferred. Open to used as well.

So far, I'm interested in the following... Please lmk if there's something I'm overlooking, especially used in my price range.

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

IWC portofino chrono or portuguese
View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

VC fifty six (would have to be used, but these might be too new?)
View attachment 1597753
So the kid is here, but I was thinking that if you didn't need great water-resistance on a beater that could go up to suit and tie, the Omega Tresor in blue is really nice-looking and not too flashy.

Also like the 56. Haven't seen one in the flesh, but an interesting solution to that problem.

I am just reminded also, from looking through some older things, that Celadon has some lovely looking Chinese-accented dress watches. Much less money, no brand ID, etc. So you'd have to like the watch.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, the rose gold Tank LC is in the running currently for the dress watch slot. It’s probably at the top, followed by a neovintage Patek 5022 and JLC MUT moon. At least with the sub $15K budget I am working with currently.

Yea, I checked with the maison in NYC and they said you could order the rose gold Tank LC it throughout the year, but might not be able to do it afterwards. They strongly hinted that it would be reverting back to the yellow gold Tank LC for the anniversary.
I hope they bring back the YG Tank LC!

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been snowing for the last 84 years.
E64D134C-6A0F-4EBA-B75E-F94C1E5F6B75.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 0.02 but I don’t like to see divers on leather straps. Seems incongruent to me. You are essentially saying “I have bought this watch which is water’proof’ to a depth of 200 metres and I have ZERO intention of getting it wet!”?

I realise of course that part of the attraction of rugged tool watches is their over-engineering. Something like a speedy which was not intended for the ocean seems to pair better with leather straps.

Or it says "When it's the middle of January - in cold weather climates in which I don't intend to swim - I still wear my trusty dive watch as a daily, but leather feels better on my skin than steel..."?

(I frequently wear my dive watches on leather in colder weather, even though I also use them for pretty harcore water sport too...but I'm wearing my Speedy on a leather strap as you describe...haha!)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of leather straps vs bracelets: I think I'm gonna throw my DJ on a strap for a bit...I have never taken it off the bracelet, but I think a light grey calf-skin strap would look killer...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or it says "When it's the middle of January - in cold weather climates in which I don't intend to swim - I still wear my trusty dive watch as a daily, but leather feels better on my skin than steel..."?

(I frequently wear my dive watches on leather in colder weather, even though I also use them for pretty harcore water sport too...but I'm wearing my Speedy on a leather strap as you describe...haha!)
Yeah I’m browsing for a moon watch right now and somewhat torn as almost all my kit is on SS bracelets but that watch in particular seems to lend itself to a black or brown calf or croc strap. I remember Clooney wearing his on a black calf strap in ‘The American’ which may have subversively wormed its way into my subconscious and influenced my attraction for that look.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m browsing for a moon watch right now and somewhat torn as almost all my kit is on SS bracelets but that watch in particular seems to lend itself to a black or brown calf or croc strap. I remember Clooney wearing his on a black calf strap in ‘The American’ which may have subversively wormed its way into my subconscious and influenced my attraction for that look.
Dude, never watch “The American” if you don’t want to become addicted to speedy pro acquisition! Haha!

I bought mine on the bracelet, but have worn it almost exclusively on brown leather strap. Love this watch!!!

jmbb

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 2.42.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.16.25 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads