• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RobinMA

Reaction score
What do the regular folks here think about the basic Tank collection? I am eying the Large (quartz) and XL (automatic) versions, or should I go for a 1960s Oyster Precision on a leather strap instead?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do the regular folks here think about the basic Tank collection? I am eying the Large (quartz) and XL (automatic) versions, or should I go for a 1960s Oyster Precision on a leather strap instead?

I have a 17cm wrist and the XL automatic looked way to big on me. Also, I have a hard time paying $10K for a quartz watch.

Personally, the rose gold large mechanical is currently in my top 3 choices for a dress watch.

In a world of sports/tool watches, I’m intrigued by something that is unapologetically aligned with the jewelry end of the spectrum. Plus now that I’m approaching the wrong side of 40, I fee like it’s a bit easier to pull off than if I was in my 20s.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a 17cm wrist and the XL automatic looked way to big on me. Also, I have a hard time paying $10K for a quartz watch.

Personally, the rose gold large mechanical is currently in my top 3 choices for a dress watch.

In a world of sports/tool watches, I’m intrigued by something that is unapologetically aligned with the jewelry end of the spectrum. Plus now that I’m approaching the wrong side of 40, I fee like it’s a bit easier to pull off than if I was in my 20s.

Why not the rose gold Tank LC? Size is perfect. Would not want smaller. Also, they may not make it past this year. It’s already past its shelf life.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not the rose gold Tank LC? Size is perfect. Would not want smaller. Also, they may not make it past this year. It’s already past its shelf life.

Sorry, the rose gold Tank LC is in the running currently for the dress watch slot. It’s probably at the top, followed by a neovintage Patek 5022 and JLC MUT moon. At least with the sub $15K budget I am working with currently.

Yea, I checked with the maison in NYC and they said you could order the rose gold Tank LC it throughout the year, but might not be able to do it afterwards. They strongly hinted that it would be reverting back to the yellow gold Tank LC for the anniversary.

RobinMA

Reaction score

The quartz Tank Solo is €2.660 and the XL automatic is €3.600, VAT included. How do you end up with "$10K"??

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting it for my brothers 30th birthday.

Always thought blue. But black is winning for me.

FWIW, I have put straps on both BB58's locally in my shop, and the black is easier to pair with leather straps. Having said that the blue is really nice too:
291AD31F-3168-420A-87CE-306AD8C3DE9F.jpeg

2CE578A8-A460-4BAC-BCAC-3758B58D3118.jpeg

-DL

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That’s a Hell of a nice gift and I’m sure he would be happy either way.

But black is the superior watch of the two. :wink:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a Hell of a nice gift and I’m sure he would be happy either way.

But black is the superior watch of the two. :wink:

Well, it would be a group gift with my parents and I, but yes, not too shabby for him.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blue is a great I-already-have-some-super-versatile-watches choice. It's not an everyday watch (which is fine, of course!). But the black is the all-around versatile, better looking choice. Blue is a bit more "pure" insofar as it dodges some of the faux-vintagey stuff that accompanies the black. But in the end, side by side, black all day long...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads