• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in Europe for years, I never got pickpocketed or mugged. People used crowbars to take apart our mailboxes in Geneva whilst I was heading out at 4am, and drug addicts did break into my apartment and shoot heroin whilst I was away, but never had these issues "in person". I sometimes wonder what tourists are doing to attract this magical criminal attention.
Just standing out as tourists I'm sure. Americans, being fairly affluent, likely assessed as easy marks with cash, cards, nice cameras, and such. Americans also happy to stop and chat (which always annoys Euros for the most part), loudly asking in English where the beach/cathedral/museum/castle is...

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
similarly, I've worn my 16710 pepsi on my wrist virtually every day for the past 18 years, from West Baltimore to Greenwich, and I can count on both hands the times that someone has mentioned my watch at all.

that being said, with the increased value and popularity of watches I have updated my insurance accordingly knowing that its not worth my life or my health, and I can replace it if necessary.
Being a former military guy where Rolexes are popular, we would always caution our guys about risks during travel. Ladies-of-the-night, barflies, and others with possible malicious intent know exactly what Rolexes look like and drunk DOD-types are easy marks in a hotel bar.

Also, I currently have my Sub insured for last year's retail price. Now prices went up but could I even find one at retail? Should I insure it at what they really go for in gray/used markets? Ugh!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a former military guy where Rolexes are popular, we would always caution our guys about risks during travel. Ladies-of-the-night, barflies, and others with possible malicious intent know exactly what Rolexes look like and drunk DOD-types are easy marks in a hotel bar.

Also, I currently have my Sub insured for last year's retail price. Now prices went up but could I even find one at retail? Should I insure it at what they really go for in gray/used markets? Ugh!

Right, I've also lived and worked in cities for the past 20 years so I have what I would consider a pretty good safety/danger radar and use that accordingly. Bachelor party in New Orleans? Definitely leaving the watch at home

I insured my for the secondary market rate for that very reason, not only is my particular model out of production but any current version is unobtanium (for me) at MSRP

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right, F***ers. Listen up. This is all you’re getting from my peasant ass today. It’s EIGHT degrees outside. Ugh.
E39B8095-475F-429E-89C0-F43EA448715F.jpeg
51ED4ECC-18CB-43AB-A5E7-2B1FE342FFBA.jpeg
7B48083D-26C4-4B2B-A707-4FB6CA2203BA.jpeg
43CBB683-EA07-4FA4-99D6-12F11FCDE24F.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, yes. Years ago I was ready to pull the trigger on the blue the VCO. I got the call and went to the AD just to find out that it didn’t look great on my wrist. Even with discount I declined the offer. Till this day I am still in love with the VCO, but from pictures only. They say never meet your heroes, right?
I felt the same way with the VCO chronograph. It looked great in pictures and ticked all the boxes I wanted but just looked like **** on my wrist.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never felt in danger when wearing a watch. Really, I have never felt too in danger period, despite likely being in dangerous circumstances.

Recently, I was at a grocery store in a not-so-great location wearing my 5205, doing an early-morning grocery run, and was approached by a homeless man who asked for money / cigarettes. I was with my son, who is still a baby. I went back in to the store, gave him $40 because it was Christmas, and I was never worried or anything - he was a nice guy, and he had no intention of robbing me. However, I was cognizant of the life-changing amount of money on my wrist, and that it was kind of stupid to wear this while I was looking after my son.

When I lived in DC in the 90's, and certain parts were considered not very nice or safe, I always wore a Rolex, either a Sub or Daytona and never had any problems. I'm always mindful of my surroundings, but I never felt unsafe or that someone was eyeing one of my watches. When traveling to Europe I wore my 16570 black Explorer II, as it flies a little more under the radar and it was probably my least valuable watch at the time.

I doubt the average person would recognize a 5205 as anything special and very valuable. More people probably know or would recognize a Rolex or they might be more attracted to a dress watch if it were yellow or rose gold. White metals might be mistaken for steel if a person doesn't know watches.

The closest I've ever come to being pick pocketed, or robbed, was in a nice part of Boston (Newbury Street). A homeless guy was asking for money outside one of the shops that is no longer there. My girlfriend at the time brushed right past him and went into the store. I reached into my pocket, pulled out my wallet and opened the cash slot to take out some money to give to him, and when I went to take out some cash for him, he reached in really fast, grabbed all the cash that was in it and took off. I didn't have that much cash on me at the time, so not a big deal. But I never felt physically in danger.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reached into my pocket, pulled out my wallet and opened the cash slot to take out some money to give to him, and when I went to take out some cash for him, he reached in really fast, grabbed all the cash that was in it and took off. I didn't have that much cash on me at the time, so not a big deal. But I never felt physically in danger.
You'd be amazed by DC now. Previously murdery-areas now have people pushing babies around, hip restaurants, and yoga studios. You can actually walk U Street from the Metro to the 9:30 Club and not get killed (at least so far, my only data point is not being killed...).

I always try to keep a few $1 bills in my front pocket for homeless purposes.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my 20's I visited my parents who were living in Spain. I was jetlagged and oblivious when my Dad and I were approached by a guy in Marbella. They tend to work in teams/groups. I was clueless but Dear ole Dad knew what was happening.

Guy #1 distracts by getting in close asking rapid fire questions while guy #2 does the thieving. Before I knew what was happening, my 60 year old Dad was pushing guy #2 away with an umbrella to create distance and yelled at guy #1 to back off.

They pretended not to know each other but immediately disappeared into the crowd. We kept seeing them together for the rest of the morning.

It then occurred to me why all the tourists wore their backpacks on the chest.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never felt in danger when wearing a watch. Really, I have never felt too in danger period, despite likely being in dangerous circumstances.

Recently, I was at a grocery store in a not-so-great location wearing my 5205, doing an early-morning grocery run, and was approached by a homeless man who asked for money / cigarettes. I was with my son, who is still a baby. I went back in to the store, gave him $40 because it was Christmas, and I was never worried or anything - he was a nice guy, and he had no intention of robbing me. However, I was cognizant of the life-changing amount of money on my wrist, and that it was kind of stupid to wear this while I was looking after my son.

Where do you live? Travel? I'd reckon specific location is THE key factor in how safe you are.

I alternate between Chicago and NYC (most of the time feel really safe, but there are definite exceptions) and travel frequently to Europe (lots of sketchy outside-train-station situations) and Central America (where is certain areas, the police are as likely to shake you down for your Rolex as a knife-wielding thief...).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads