• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a solid vintage dealer? I'm trying to find a GMT, no-date sub, or a seadweller. No problem with replaced parts but want disclosure + pricing that reflects it.
Along with the usual suspects (EWC, HQ Milton), I recommend Andrew Shear of Sheartime. He is very responsive to e-mails and was able to find me a matte-dial Rolex 16800 in top condition for a competitive price that I (stupidly?) failed to jump on.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I just read a week's worth of posts here, and I'm not quite sure. I need to follow @RSS's advice. Anyway, I like this juxtaposition of two posts taken three days apart almost to the minute.

[justifying why a watch is peak watch] It is, from a complication perspective, literally one of the most technically accomplished watches in existence. But the base movement is technically inferior to the base movement in the 5170/5270.
A wristwatch is a thing you strap onto your wrist and have to use to tell the time. The range of “optimal” is not all that wide.

Allegedly, this one’s a hair above 12mm. Not bad.

Yeah, but you were replying to TM, who thinks 12mm is huge.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Along with the usual suspects (EWC, HQ Milton), I recommend Andrew Shear of Sheartime. He is very responsive to e-mails and was able to find me a matte-dial Rolex 16800 in top condition for a competitive price that I (stupidly?) failed to jump on.

Sweet, ill check them all out! I dont trust EWC. Sold a friends watch claiming it was new/unworn when that wasnt the case.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get serious for a moment, please? I’d like to talk about an important topic that affects us all.

Every year, millions and millions of watch collectors suffer from a devastating but preventable disease: Chronically Repulsive Anti-reflective Coating Syndrome (otherwise known as CRACS). Despite the billions of dollars that patrician horological overlords, such as Foo, pump into the watch industry, watch companies continue to ignore our CRACS, thereby equipping watches with crystals that reflect light at near-fatal rates. As our CRACS deepen, we are unable to photograph our watches in the wild without some reflective obstacle impeding what should be a clear view of our dials. Why haven’t they fixed it, you ask? I don’t know. Is it THAT hard to create a proper AR coating system that would seal all CRACS forever on all watches? Seemingly not. This bothers me. Nobody should have untreated CRACS - nobody! My CRACS, especially on Panerai, gets worse every day.

I’d love to hear from fellow collectors that are deeply afflicted in their CRACS. How do you feel and why haven’t watch companies fixed this issue? We’re here for you. I’m here for you. In the meantime, please donate to our ever-growing CRACS-prevention and treatment foundation, FooHatesPoors.org. Thank you.
View attachment 1739233
We should put together a drawn-out, dramatic commercial with a bunch of sad-faced pedestrian watch owners and a mopey Sarah McLachlan song/voice over. Then we could raise enough cash to solve this terrible problem.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very different from what a soldier returning from Moscow in the bleak of winter would have experienced … but there was the connection of the organ.
Twss

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pun= Milhouse vs Milgauss

Thanks for clarifying...I think I've only watched 2 episodes of the Simpsons and that would be well over 20 years ago.

Sweet, ill check them all out! I dont trust EWC. Sold a friends watch claiming it was new/unworn when that wasnt the case.

EWC does have a good reputation. I haven't purchased from them, but I have sold a few watches to them. My only criticism is that sometimes when they describe a watch as like new condition, their definition and mine are completely different. I expect like new in box to look like "New." Otherwise describe them as mint or excellent etc.

I would also suggest Paul Duggan watches. They have been around for decades and have a great reputation. I haven't done business with them, but I have friends who have worked with Paul and his sales people. They usually have a several GMTs, Subs, and Sea-Dwellers in stock.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Levity aside, what's the strategic impetus here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads