• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Saw this on Reddit. Don't see DJs on after market straps very often. I think it's a pretty good casual look.

Looks great on that strap. My DJ says hi.
f18ca372-be60-4773-b18c-81e54a312364-jpeg.16368464

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not surprising that the one time you agree with foo, you end up being totally, absolutely, unmistakably wrong-headed. You also dialed in the perfect amount of provoke-by-calling-an-obviously-not-trash-watchmaker-trash vibe. Maybe you guys are more alike then anyone might have previously suspected? ;-)
Love you, too, boo boo.

St1X

Reaction score
As of the past couple of months, Rexhep has said in interviews that they are now “developing” their movements in-house—code for decorating and maybe assembling movements that are made elsewhere, which Akrivia may have had a hand in specifying. Super shady ****.
Developing a besic movement is easy. With modern CAD software it's easy to even develop something like a tourbillon. Manufacturing is hard, thought. So if someone designs and develops a movement in house but outsources manufacturing he can still legitimately clan an in house movement

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watch. Most of these hot independents will be forgotten 10 years from now. And people will look back at the more obnoxiously designed examples with disgusted amusement.
Out of curiosity, what are some examples of the particular independents or models that you're referencing with this comment?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vintage is stunning. Is there anything in the modern collection or plans that approach its proportions?

There is nothing currently offered like that, and I'm not aware of any plans to release another. We will just have to wait to see what new offerings are released in 2022.

So is the minute repeater, think this is about 1930. View attachment 1737812

I've never seen the vintage Tortue minute repeater, however, there was a CPCP version. It was smaller than the 34mm Tortue Monopossoire. One sat in the 5th Avenue Flagship boutique for a few years. IIRC it was about $140,000.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other note on independents: Why should it necessarily be thought that any of these brands intend to be long-lived legacy brands? Their hyper-specific dated-ness is the attraction - be super hot for a specific stretch, rather than charmingly boring for 100+ years.

Does anyone honestly believe that Richard Mille thinks their watches are timeless?

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
W/R/T the issue of independents, I think it is probably difficult for independents to both have an identifiable design language and stay within the so-called "optimal" range. I am not a big Journe guy, but what he has accomplished is extremely impressive. His watches are identifiable from across a room, are completely unique, and, while aesthetically not for me, they exist within the "optimal" range.

Brands like De Bethune, and MB&F - well, they just offer a completely different product. And I am happy they exist as they add some color to a staid industry. Then, brands like Dufour, KV, Akrivia, etc. - I am not sure I care about how relevant they are ten years from now, because the watchmakers are the brands. I do acknowledge there is an issue with service, but I get the feeling you could find someone to service the movement.

I was thinking about this very issue earlier today, when I came across Laine Watches:

With the V38, you get a 38mm watch, 9mm thick, lovely dial work, a nicely-finished Vaucher movement, breguet numerals, and a fantastically balanced dial (it is not cross-eyed like the 5196). However, does it have enough character? It does have serious bang for your buck, but it feels kind of soulless.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great on that strap. My DJ says hi.
f18ca372-be60-4773-b18c-81e54a312364-jpeg.16368464
Nice. Sadly the one I posted isn't mine; I found it on Reddit.

Artsy fartsy snow shot:

I picked the wrong weekend for a quick Asheville mountain getaway with this snow storm. Or was it the right weekend? We'll see if the route home is passable tomorrow...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly believe that Richard Mille thinks their watches are timeless?
Of the various "modern" independents, RM is definitely the most likely to be remembered in 100 years, if only for its list of customers. It will definitely outlast Dufour, except in the mind of a handful of particularly literate collectors.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the various "modern" independents, RM is definitely the most likely to be remembered in 100 years, if only for its list of customers. It will definitely outlast Dufour, except in the mind of a handful of particularly literate collectors.
I’m not so sure about that. The RM list of customers will be as irrelevant as the time thingies in 100 years.
As for the artisanal charm and technical excellence (i believe its 6-10 seconds a month for a simplicity) of a Dufour timepiece, no competition in mind. History will tell, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads