• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The yellow gold sub is better than a rose gold version. The yellow they produce is brilliant and you bought the right watch.

As for the GS, that watch has my preferred case shape from them and looks much better in person than in pictures. Its really difficult to capture the way the light plays off that case with the polishing. This one is my preferred reference since I know you were curious. Can confirm it indeed ***** in person, and especially in Waffle Houses. It's also thinner than Foo's goaty goat 5004:

View attachment 1736969
View attachment 1736970
My problem with GS is that a lot of their watches are pretty thick. Other than that, cool watch bro! This totally ***** like @RSS

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The yellow gold sub is better than a rose gold version. The yellow they produce is brilliant and you bought the right watch.

As for the GS, that watch has my preferred case shape from them and looks much better in person than in pictures. Its really difficult to capture the way the light plays off that case with the polishing. This one is my preferred reference since I know you were curious. Can confirm it indeed ***** in person, and especially in Waffle Houses. It's also thinner than Foo's goaty goat 5004:

View attachment 1736969
View attachment 1736970
MUAH

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note: Why are we not seeing pictures of your platinum Day-Date or Daytona? These seem like the perfect watch for you...
Woah. I don’t own a platinum day date. I do have a few Daytonas that I sprinkle throughout this thread (including today).

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone’s interested, here’s the only video I’ve found of the GS. It’s so hot.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah. I don’t own a platinum day date. I do have a few Daytonas that I sprinkle throughout this thread (including today).
I meant, you should add a platinum day date or platinum daytona to your collection. They seem like a great fit for you.

You could go from Richemont trash to Nouveau Richemont trash :)

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone’s interested, here’s the only video I’ve found of the GS. It’s so hot.

You need to see the blue in person. My local GS dealer has had a few of the blue dial watches in the case over the years and the light shades just dont work for me. You may disagree, but I would definitely have a look in the metal if you can.

Edit: I think all GS watches should be seen in person if possible. They are really difficult to photograph and as much as I love many of the models for hte things you cant see in pictures, there are a few things that just dont work when you are there in real time.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the looks. The dial. The case shape. The nearly bezel-less outline. It’s just looks so clean. Like light dances off it.
My man. I, too, eat with my eyes first. The case shape is pretty great, especially the bevels on the lugs. I've been curious about GS for quite a while. I go through phases where I'm very interested and go look at them at the place down the street from my office, and then periods where I find them too sterile. This particular one is pretty intriguing, though, with that case shape.

You need to see the blue in person. My local GS dealer has had a few of the blue dial watches in the case over the years and the light shades just dont work for me. You may disagree, but I would definitely have a look in the metal if you can.

Edit: I think all GS watches should be seen in person if possible. They are really difficult to photograph and as much as I love many of the models for hte things you cant see in pictures, there are a few things that just dont work when you are there in real time.
Agreed. The GS I've looked at in person at my AD by and large looked very different from both the GS website renders and third party marketing photos--some for better, and some for worse. One of the more surprising examples was the Internet's favorite GS darling, the Snowflake. The dial was not nearly as pretty in person as I'd come to believe from that lying bastard The Internet. Conversely, some of the more seemingly pedestrian models that I saw online looked much better in person. One that comes to mind is one of the GMTs with the GMT bezel (not the ones with the small 24 hour markings on the dial). I'm pretty sure it had a green bezel, so it must have been the SBGE257 or SBGJ239.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Just called about 10 GS dealers and boutiques. Nobody has it. One dealer, in particular, was very helpful: Carat & Co in New York (Queens, to be precise). I put down a deposit for the next one that comes in. First time I’ve ever had to do that for any watch. Looking forward to getting it.

carat & co is really great. Can recommend them

dan'l

Reaction score
Or you may have bought the better looking version. Personally, although I love blue dials, but I think they look far better with yellow gold or white metals than they do with rose gold. I remember trying on a 15202OR/Rose gold with a blue dial, and thinking it just looks off.
I‘m with Dino on this and think the Sub looks better in YG.

From a Hodinkee „I-wish-they-made-that“ article:

85B62C21-9F95-4148-8FCE-948A9CD43A0B.jpeg

This is the watch I‘ve been fantasizing over for the past 4 or 5 years - a solid gold Rolex w/o date. So far only the Daytona is sans date and I think a yellow gold Explorer would be absolutely killer. Even better if it were with a brushed finish. When the two-tone was released last year, my dream was half-fulfilled.

Perhaps Tudor will release something with a gold bracelet this year, since they now offer the BB58 in 18k on a strap.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100%.

Which is why it pays to learn more about what you are buying. More circumspection and less “COOL WATCH BRO! TOTALLY *****!” would be a positive development.

Perhaps not mutually exclusive...knowledgeable folks can find **** watches cool = “Bro that 5004 totally ***** - like a chode!”

;-)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have brains and balls (I'm pretty sure) and our desires come from both. These are emotional objects that appeal to both our higher and baser selves and even that dichotomy is really a polite fiction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads