• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mechanical watches are a boomer hobby, Breguet is the Ur-Boomer brand capturing all the prized values of the boomer generation (longest history of all, most famous name, continuous production of watches, yearly mechanical innovation, hand finishing, refuses to play the marketing and market manipulation games that pushed Patek and Rolex ahead which gives it "authenticity of values" if not of perception, etc.). I mean this piece literally has a guilloched dial and, well, "Breguet hands". But to some extent being Ur-Boomer is a form of being antiboomer in a post modern world dominated by irony, as you can see from how the inspiration for it is presented by the supposed modernist:

1638959140197.png

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanical watches are a boomer hobby, Breguet is the Ur-Boomer brand capturing all the prized values of the boomer generation (longest history of all, most famous name, continuous production of watches, yearly mechanical innovation, hand finishing, refuses to play the marketing and market manipulation games that pushed Patek and Rolex ahead which gives it "authenticity of values" if not of perception, etc.). I mean this piece literally has a guilloched dial and, well, "Breguet hands". But to some extent being Ur-Boomer is a form of being antiboomer in a post modern world dominated by irony, as you can see from how the inspiration for it is presented by the supposed modernist:

View attachment 1716668
I think he meant anti-Boomer as in, Boomers are old and have bad vision, so they need big dials on their watches to see what time it is.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in Miami in February on business. Staying at the Fontainebleu in Miami Beach. I want to go look at a Cartier Tank in person and potentially buy it from the boutique in Miami, maybe even a Panthere for my wife if I'm feeling generous. Anyone have experience with the boutique there? Are discounts viable at Cartier boutiques?

Never visited the Miami boutique. As others have stated, no discounts at Cartier boutiques, but they should give you an extra strap if you ask. If they won't give you an extra strap, then come up north for a weekend getaway, and I hook you up with my sales associate, who I'm sure will. In addition, to making an appointment, you may want to tell them which pieces you want to see. You don't want to get there to find out that they had the pieces you wanted a few days earlier and sold them. In addition, if the Tank model you want to see is a Tank Louis Cartier, they may need to request one as its a somewhat limited production model that isn't always at the boutiques. Wishing you lots of luck and fun shopping for watches.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Miami Cartier boutique is located in the Design District, Miami's equivalent of Rodeo Drive. All the watch boutiques surround a courtyard, making it very easy pre-pandemic to see a lot of watches in a short period of time. Sadly, most of the boutiques are open by appointment only now. If you like contemporary art, the de la Cruz Collection and the ICA are free and a few blocks away.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition, if the Tank model you want to see is a Tank Louis Cartier, they may need to request one as its a somewhat limited production model that isn't always at the boutiques. Wishing you lots of luck and fun shopping for watches.

Second this...The past two times I was in NYC I popped in the Cartier boutique/maison to look at the rose gold Tank Louis Cartier and both times they did not have one on hand. Granted, these were last minute appointments made as I was walking up the block, so obviously not through any fault of the SAs

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gathering our community’s input, please. I’m into this. It’s available. May pull the trigger. Any feedback from current or past owners of this watch? Would occupy a dress watch slot in my collection. Thank you.
View attachment 1716798
Not a current or past owner, but I love it. Go for it.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Gathering our community’s input, please. I’m into this. It’s available. May pull the trigger. Any feedback from current or past owners of this watch? Would occupy a dress watch slot in my collection. Thank you.
View attachment 1716798
I am heading to the Maison to pick up the 82172/000R-9382 this weekend so I can only support your choice

thuhoan

Reaction score
View attachment 1716798
I was considering this one and I love the dial. But sometimes it felt a bit too busy for me.

Here is a comparison.

2068DC9C-FC1A-41DF-A3A7-CDE3703E9DD4.jpeg

Also check out this one @George Red, it’s another boutique version.

3DD49634-E3D4-4848-8032-80A38553CF48.png

6919D32C-393D-41C6-B967-503817A4751B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1716798

Great watch! Although, I do prefer the smooth dial smooth dial of the standard version. It gives it a cleaner appearance. Still overall, its my favorite recent round cased time only dress watch. A friend at a jewelry store which was losing its VC account called me because they had one new Traditionelle left with a nice discount, but it was white gold, and I just didn't like the WG as much as the RG. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads