• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to Speedy Tuesday it today with my FOIS.

F8925C6E-098C-475A-A632-95280186107B.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NYT article posted earlier I saw. BoF writing about it.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5205 really is a looker. The case shape is especially dynamic and three dimensional.

Thanks!

I really do love this one. I think it is rather unique among Patek references.

I wonder when it will be discontinued. I hope it is soon :).

The one thing that did suck... paying for that deployant. Yowza.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in Miami in February on business. Staying at the Fontainebleu in Miami Beach. I want to go look at a Cartier Tank in person and potentially buy it from the boutique in Miami, maybe even a Panthere for my wife if I'm feeling generous. Anyone have experience with the boutique there? Are discounts viable at Cartier boutiques?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in Miami in February on business. Staying at the Fontainebleu in Miami Beach. I want to go look at a Cartier Tank in person and potentially buy it from the boutique in Miami, maybe even a Panthere for my wife if I'm feeling generous. Anyone have experience with the boutique there? Are discounts viable at Cartier boutiques?

Make an appointment. All the luxury stores in Miami are a zoo recently. You probably won’t get a discount but sometimes they’ll throw in a free strap or something.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are discounts viable at Cartier boutiques?
Typically no discounts at boutiques but they may throw in a free strap or something like that if you ask.

Also, be sure to phone ahead and set an appointment. Cartier has been pretty strict on the appointment thing since Covid.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grand Seiko is such an awesome, yet frustrating brand. I started my collection with Seiko, and Seiko has been, and always will be, a darling of mine. And the Snowflake is one of the first watches that I fell in love with.

Part of the problem, in my opinion - I have wanted a Grand Seiko for years, and would like to pull the trigger, but I am completely paralyzed! Do I get the SBGY007, which is gorgeous and has a clean dial but is a little bulbous and has scant WR? Do I get the the SLGH005, which has a gorgeous dial, and an impressive new movement, but has blunted hands and strange 22mm lugs? Do I get the OG, the SBGA211, which was my first love but is kind of too big now and is too thick for my tastes. The SBGA413, with the cherry blossom dial? Or the SBGA415, which the more muted winter dial? Do I get the SLGA007, which, sure, has the weird 22mm lugs but is a boutique edition and has a gorgeous blue dial and the new spring drive movement?

Or do I wait for a more perfect watch? Is that more perfect watch going to happen? Are they going to return to the samurai hands?

I've got to say - Rolex may be on to something. Here is the Explorer. It is one size. You can get it in SS or TT. The prior version is discontinued. There is something to be said about simplifying things for consumers.

Of the foregoing, I think the SBGA413 is my favorite. But I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.
Having handled most if not all of these watches in the flesh (which I assume you have) my view is that, even in the US, the aesthetic of all except the 007 is too out of whack with prevailing Western aesthetics.

I could go on forever but to name just two, they're usually too wide and the dauphine hands too large for the dial. Also, finishing is not what it used to be. The 007 is a bit of a strange exception; it'd be an excellent dress watch except for the bulbousness being just a tad too pronounced, almost like some of these diver watches from Doxa, and it really does not show in the photos but looks ridiculous in the hand and on the wrist (IMO). They could have deviated from the classic form without making it so obvious - such a flat surface behind the dial makes for a pronounced shadowed angle that really separates it already so why go further? And the rest being (for once) delicate and well proportioned, why such thick utilitarian lugs? The ice blue, to be fair, is less plasticky than usual, and the large crown is a Seiko fixture. It is still the best looking of the lot if you're after a dressier lawyer watch.

Given your previous choices over the years I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll be initially amused then sell most of that list (except perhaps the 007) after a month or two as you fail to gel with it, but I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads