• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I think I'll try the ebay route as I don't have a reputation on any of the forums.
I've heard your sole exposure/risk is getting the watch safely to EBay. My understanding is that, once you get it to EBay, they are on the hook for anything that goes wrong in shipping it to the buyer.

pmeis

Reaction score
Plscataway you say?
Great memories of Wurlizers nightclub many years ago. I’m still friends with a lass I met there in 1990 - talked to her yesterday coincidentally. Golden days matey!

Funnily enough, I have no ties there, it was about as closet to midway between the seller and I that I could find a Starbucks to meet up at.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how we’re having a discussion about consumerism on a forum where we post pics of $2000 shoes, $20k watches or otherwise talk about how much we want these things.

It’s like having a discussion about asceticism and self control while in the waiting room of a whorehouse.
1638578771703.png

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, here is the new one.

I’ve thought about getting the black. It is kind of a huge improvement on my OG iteration. Longer indices, applied logo, chapter ring is nicer, better moon phase, 70 hour power reserve. For the price, I’m struggling to think of a better pure dress watch…

6423DD59-8C1E-4C16-A492-F4460324FDD2.jpeg

60CF5B31-45BE-4CBF-8A2F-6DAA03C380B3.jpeg

lexmann

Reaction score

I’ve thought about getting the black. It is kind of a huge improvement on my OG iteration. Longer indices, applied logo, chapter ring is nicer, better moon phase, 70 hour power reserve. For the price, I’m struggling to think of a better pure dress watch…

View attachment 1714490
View attachment 1714491
By looking at the pictures, I thought I liked the blue dial until I tried the black dial on. The black looks really cool. Of course it is subjective.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1714490
View attachment 1714491

The JLC MUT Moon and the mechanical Cartier Tank LC are at the top of my dress watch list…I do love the PP 5196G and the 5227, but those are a significant price point jump

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is an anti-@George Red post, but here goes it - recently, I've been giving a lot of thought to this "hobby". So, here goes it, in no particular order.
  1. First, is buying watches really a hobby? Or is this mere consumption that we pass off as a hobby? As everyone in this thread is well-aware, buying watches is an expensive venture. Really, it is nothing short of absurd. And, as fast as I dove back into this hobby (head-first), I've decided to take a little time now to evaluate my next steps - including what it means to be interested in watches. I enjoy reading about watches, but I will not be happy with just reading about watches. I will never be a collector - in fact, I have zero interest in creating a watch collection (i.e., various iterations of a vintage watch, or having some thread that runs through my collection). Rather, I prefer to buy what I like. Instead, at this point, I guess I am better classified as an enthusiast as opposed to a collector. And I will say this, I find that watches are great at augmenting my other interests - specifically, I love to have a watch that I can wear when I ski, I find that I enjoy associating certain watches with playing with the kiddo, etc.
  2. The whole rat-race of this hobby is kind of exhausting right now. I like my AD a lot, but the difficulty associated with acquiring in-demand pieces is sort of outrageous. I found myself thinking about a "purchase plan", where I acquired several not-too-desired pieces to get other pieces that I do want. Then I sat back and though, this is just silly! I am sure this is all temporary, but I can see how this can wear someone out after a few years. It is hard enough to save the money, but to not be able to purchase what you want is tiring. And this goes beyond just Patek and Rolex and AP. A lot of sought after watches, whether it be the Cartier Cloche, the VC Everest, etc., are next to impossible to acquire. I hope this is not a growing trend of catering to the 1% of the 1%.
  3. In purchasing the 5205G, I feel like I am free - now that I have accomplished this "goal", i.e., Patek-ownership, I feel a massive sense of relief. However, I still do not feel wholly content. And perhaps I should have known that. In terms of my next target, whenever that might be, I am exceedingly undecided. I find myself wavering constantly, and I have far too many items on my wish-list. Spent a few days lusting over the SBGY007; then I switched over to the VC 1921; and now, I'm back on an old flame, the Lange Up/Down. I have not purchased anything, but I kind of feel like a guy who is now divorced from his first wife, and wants to dip his toes in the water. Do I go for the cheap date, who will be a fun romp with little long-term staying power (the new Aquastar II)? Do I opt for the classy, self-made woman I will have to work for (the Up/Down)? Or, do I stay single, and maybe think about how I got to where I am.

I would never judge anyone for the number of watches they own. Whether zero, one, or a hundred, it’s not the quantity that means anything. What I look for is thoughtful discernment and genuine enjoyment. Collecting watches sheerly due to perceived financial opportunity really grates on me. But there are plenty of “collectors” who are also genuine enthusiasts.

I myself enjoy keeping a tightly curated collection, comprised of watches I’ve intensely studied and ruminated on. I’ll take a handful of no-compromise watches over dozens of flash-in-the-pan baubles anyday.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll try the ebay route as I don't have a reputation on any of the forums.

Call up European Watch in Boston and Govberg in Phiadelphia to get competing quotes. Painless, safe transactions. To get a sense of what price you’re likely to realize, look at Chrono24 listings and take off about 20% to account for bid/ask spread and margins.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of collecting, something this way comes …

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads