• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
I really like this watch. I've dabbled in Grand Seiko over the years and while always impressed by their quality, something always left me cold. I've always thought one of their dressier GMT watches would be cool to play with, but the thickness (13.3mm) and the more subdued dials have kept me away. The Watches of Switzerland version of the tried and true SBGM221, the SBGM241, at least helped out the latter aspect enough that when one came up second hand locally I thought it was time to give it a go.

I find that the watch wears fantastically. It is still thicker than it needs to be, but the case shape is quite enchanting. Its so much unlike the other watches I've owned from GS or the watches I've typically collected. Almost everything I've owned has had a more angular and/or utilitarian bent to the case geometry. Even the Santos, which is the most complicated watch case I own, is still basically slab sided. From the top, this watch case doesn't look that interesting, but its profile, with its rounded sides, high polish, domed sapphire crystal and thickness, really comes off very luxurious on the wrist in a way I wasn't anticipating. The reflective dark green dial and perfectly polished indexes really add a jewel like quality to the watch.

So even though its both my thickest and lowest WR watch, it feels so unique compared to my usual tendencies that I can't help but to be smitten with it.

I think this might be my favorite angle of the case:

officine

Reaction score
Just kicking the tires…

View attachment 1706996

Having the exhibition watches is nice! I learned that the Sky Dweller is NOT for me. Learned that the 36mm Explorer has damn near perfect proportions.

Also, finally got around to trying the Cartier Santos. Wow, what a fantastic wearing watch!
I've been wearing mine with a Jubilee just to switch it up. I would imagine this will divide opinions..
C3AA0968-D51E-4E46-9F7B-3D3E61583088.jpeg

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, I am waiting for a 5930G.

Love the dial design and complication.
I always liked that watch but never pulled the trigger, even was offered a discount 2 years ago back when this was still a thing. 5905-1A fit a like glove and had real trouble giving it back. Walking out with the sky dweller after should have felt great but I was thinking about the green dial 5905...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just got offered the skydweller today and also tried on the new PP - love the 5905 but sadly wasn't offered one:

View attachment 1708853 View attachment 1708854
The Patek World Timer jumbled with a chrono is a bit of a mess. The watch would look a lot better if it were just a regular 5230 with the green guilloche dial. The current 5230's with the grey guilloche dial look like ****.

The 5905 looks great though.

ctofashion

Reaction score
I always liked that watch but never pulled the trigger, even was offered a discount 2 years ago back when this was still a thing. 5905-1A fit a like glove and had real trouble giving it back. Walking out with the sky dweller after should have felt great but I was thinking about the green dial 5905...

I had the same feeling, but with a 5270P that I had to pass on(can’t afford it right now).

It haunts my dreams, I am just hoping they don’t discontinue it until I can pick it up.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same feeling, but with a 5270P that I had to pass on(can’t afford it right now).

It haunts my dreams, I am just hoping they don’t discontinue it until I can pick it up.
ok 5270P is my modern grail patek... but 60k I could do for the 5905 no problem. 220k is a problem - kinda :) but my absolute favorite.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok 5270P is my modern grail patek... but 60k I could do for the 5905 no problem. 220k is a problem - kinda :) but my absolute favorite.
You could get the ... homage ... for $13k?

1637718297988.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting development in the independent watch space. Looks like Kari is taking over for UJ and UJ is stopping all current model production to focus on the new collection to be launched in 2023.

I really liked UJ's dress watch collection. Their steel sports model was a big miss even though it was pretty unique looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads