• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
However, in its price range I think it should have a safety closure for the clasp, and maybe a system for easily adjusting bracelet size, and also for switching to a strap (which I think will be difficult with this watch).

Between what Cartier is doing on the Santos, IWC on some of the newer Pilots and what VC offers on the current Overseas (maybe Richemont has some clue, eh?), it really seems like brands could really step up their offerings in this regard, especially once you're getting above the $8k price range.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi.
1A3BDF2A-CB61-4EBF-9A1F-412BC4AD0C34.jpeg

Delands

Reaction score
Kind of getting tired of wearing my Submariner with tailoring, especially formalwear. Have done that for twenty years now but think it's time I grabbed a more formal watch. Will pass the Sub to my son at some point (maybe when the recent Law School grad actually does something beyond be a professional student...).

I really like clean-looking watches and dislike any complications beyond a date function. Also dislike small seconds for some reason I can't quite articulate. Too many years watching 60 Minutes maybe? Looking at JLC Master Control but think they are starting to skew casual and JLC is pushing the Ultra Thin version as their entry-level dress watch.

The 40mm JLC-MC ($7250 retail) is on the left. With the brown strap, numerals, and blued sweep hand it's veering into IWC Pilot watch territory. Nothing wrong with that but if I wanted that look I'd go for the IWC Spitfire or something similar. 39mm JLC-MC Ultra Thin ($8100 retail) is on the right and looks more like a classic dress watch to me.

What do you guys think? Any other dress watches in that price range?

View attachment 1693010

I second the Lange Saxonia recommendation. It's very high on my list for an addition to my current dress watch, competing with the Patek 5196R.
If you want to stay in your initial budget, you can also have a look at the Zenith Elite models (classic or moonphase).
7 years ago, my wife wanted to give me a watch as engagement gift. The shortlist consisted of the JLC MC, JLC MUT, Zenith Elite Captain and an Omega (don't remember the model). In the end, my wife chose to give me the Zenith and I'm still very happy with her choice. I wear a suit/SC almost on a daily basis and the Zenith is a great companion.

Attachments

• Zenith.jpg
    Zenith.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 35

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the Lange Saxonia recommendation. It's very high on my list for an addition to my current dress watch, competing with the Patek 5196R.
If you want to stay in your initial budget, you can also have a look at the Zenith Elite models (classic or moonphase).
7 years ago, my wife wanted to give me a watch as engagement gift. The shortlist consisted of the JLC MC, JLC MUT, Zenith Elite Captain and an Omega (don't remember the model). In the end, my wife chose to give me the Zenith and I'm still very happy with her choice. I wear a suit/SC almost on a daily basis and the Zenith is a great companion.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of Zenith. Pretty much what I was looking for.

1635367813073.png

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The VC Overseas design just never worked for me. I always thought the 222 was better but VC won't re-release that one. 222 updated in a 38mm or 39mm would be a killer.
I like the Overseas collection. I especially like the 38mm with the blue dial and second hand at 9 with no date. Very tempted by that one to wear with odd jackets and casual suits and the lIke.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Does the AD at the Tyson's Galleria not have them in stock? I'll admit it's been a while since I've been there but they always had Saxonias on hand.

The store in Tysons hasn’t sold Lange for a year or so.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smittycl

I despise when I say I want "x" in price range "y", and someone posts "z" in price range "yyyy". Duh, Lange is greater than JLC.

That said, the Lange Saxonia Thin is so much watch it is ridiculous. The Lange Saxonia Thin is a perfect size, it is extremely elegant, and it mysteriously costs less than the prior iteration of the watch despite having a new movement. It almost feels like this watch is being subsidized - as much as a $17,800 watch can be subsidized. And it was a steal when it was around $13,000.

I mean, it is still $100 less than a JLC small seconds in gold. That is sillyness! Just look at how delicate these hands are:

View attachment 1693075

I am not necessarily looking for a dress watch. But if I were, this would be the one. Period.

Taking this in a slightly different direction, I'm trying to decide between that one and the Saxonia with the small seconds. Right now, it's all based on photos since we've been in lockdown. I'm hoping to visit the ADs in a few days and actually try them on. I'm not sure

My preference is this:
_img.jpg

rather than this:
alang_image.4350993.jpg

Only reason at this point is that in the second shot, the small seconds dial takes a bit off the 6 marker.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking this in a slightly different direction, I'm trying to decide between that one and the Saxonia with the small seconds. Right now, it's all based on photos since we've been in lockdown. I'm hoping to visit the ADs in a few days and actually try them on. I'm not sure

My preference is this:
_img.jpg

rather than this:
alang_image.4350993.jpg

Only reason at this point is that in the second shot, the small seconds dial takes a bit off the 6 marker.
For some reason I greatly prefer a sweep seconds rather than small.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between what Cartier is doing on the Santos, IWC on some of the newer Pilots and what VC offers on the current Overseas (maybe Richemont has some clue, eh?), it really seems like brands could really step up their offerings in this regard, especially once you're getting above the $8k price range.

:fistbump:

I agree completely. Also, while the Cartier Santos was not on @Newcomer 's list of watches with integrated bracelets, when one looks at certain watches in its price range or even a few that cost more (GP, Chopard, Piaget Polo S), it shows what a great value it is. It doesn't have a display back with highly decorated movement, but in terms of appearance, design, dial, water resistance, comfort, versatility, being antimagnetic, and being user friendly for sizing and changing straps/bracelet its really an impressive watch.

Edit: I will admit, the Santos design took a few years to grow on me....and now I really love it, especially the modern version with "Quickswitch" bracelet design.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads