• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. But I’ve learned my lesson. All watches and wife’s jewelry are at bank’s safety deposit box. Insured. When I get back to USA, I will insure through Hodinkee or some other insurance provider. Anyone have a particularly good experience with a watch/ jewelry insurer?

Not to rain on your parade, but a safety deposit box isnt exactly safe. Lobbying and deregulaiton over the years basically means that the bank has almost no responsibility to actually keep your **** "safe". Jeweler's Mutual and a good house safe are probably the way to go...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the watch industry made a strategic mistake when “in-house movement” became a meme.

Very few have the business model to support the development of in-house moments.

So many faked it.

Yes, movements by a larger, group-owned company that are dressed up as "in house" for that specific watch brand.

The Perezcope blog wrote a couple of really thorough, well-written articles about it recently, with a specific focus on the Richemont Group and its associated companies ValFleurier (movements) and Panerai, IWC and Baume & Mercier (watches):

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. But I’ve learned my lesson. All watches and wife’s jewelry are at bank’s safety deposit box. Insured. When I get back to USA, I will insure through Hodinkee or some other insurance provider. Anyone have a particularly good experience with a watch/ jewelry insurer?

it’s called a personal articles I believe if you don’t own a home, if you own a home you can bundle.

FYI I am working with my insurance agent to insure my 2 Rolex. If you need I can intro you, I went to high school with the guy and he’s legit so lmk.

FYI to all, I have two friends in insurance so if you guys need help there dm me. Before folks jump to conclusions (yes this has happened) no I don’t get any referral bonuses out of this, simply a polite offer.

Not to rain on your parade, but a safety deposit box isnt exactly safe. Lobbying and deregulaiton over the years basically means that the bank has almost no responsibility to actually keep your **** "safe". Jeweler's Mutual and a good house safe are probably the way to go...

true. But the safety is the bank vault think of it as renting a space on a vault.
However I think safe deposit box is unnecessary if you insure your stuff so if it gets stolen who cares

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insurance policy plus a safe. My watches are on my household insurance and cost surprisingly little to insure each year.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I knew that. I have a policy on the contents of my safety deposit box.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insurance policy plus a safe. My watches are on my household insurance and cost surprisingly little to insure each year.
Yep. The ultimate solution will be a heavy home safe in the basement covered by a policy.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of like a Rolex Daytona with a Zenith movement? :devil:

(The lack of an in-house "engine" would not dissuade me from either if I had the money.)

Still there is a difference. With a watch such as a vintage Rolex Daytona 16520 with a Zenth based movement, the El Primero was not simply put into a Daytona as it was. Rolex made approximately 200 modifications to the movement, so it actually had more hand workmanship by Rolex than any other movement they were making at the time. Furthermore, when the 16520 Daytona was in production, not even Patek, AP, or VC made their own chronograph movements. They all depended on others for their chronograph movements.

As for Lotus, the difference was even back in 2009 when it came to road cars its main competitors all produced their own engines. The Toyota engine did give me pause, but it wasn't the only or main reason I didn't purchase a Lotus. Several other issues such as build quality, lack of authorized dealerships for warranty issues, (dealerships constantly close or give up the franchise within 2 years), and even a lack of independent service centers.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it’s called a personal articles I believe if you don’t own a home, if you own a home you can bundle.

FYI I am working with my insurance agent to insure my 2 Rolex. If you need I can intro you, I went to high school with the guy and he’s legit so lmk.

FYI to all, I have two friends in insurance so if you guys need help there dm me. Before folks jump to conclusions (yes this has happened) no I don’t get any referral bonuses out of this, simply a polite offer.

true. But the safety is the bank vault think of it as renting a space on a vault.
However I think safe deposit box is unnecessary if you insure your stuff so if it gets stolen who cares
I took my Sub to a Rolex dealer and they gave me an appraisal for the replacement cost. I then added that appraisal to my Personal Articles addition to Renter's Insurance. Of course, the odds of finding a new Sub should mine get stolen are about zero and used ones are selling for about 40-50% more than the new ones. Ugh.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all of this in-house movement talk - how are in-house JLC movements regarded?

Very high quality movements. Not quite on the level of PP, AP, and VC as far as finishing, but one would generally pay a lot more for a watch from the big three with similar case material and functions. JLC has supplied movements to PP, AP, VC, and Cartier, but they all finish the movements to their own standard. AP did own 40% of JLC years, ago, but they since sold their interest in the company.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of JLC’s movements - I’ve had my MUT moon for nearly a decade, it has been subjected to significant use and mild abuse, and it is STILL running within a second or two per day. People can pick on JLC for design, but JLC makes a hell of a watch.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my Sub to a Rolex dealer and they gave me an appraisal for the replacement cost. I then added that appraisal to my Personal Articles addition to Renter's Insurance. Of course, the odds of finding a new Sub should mine get stolen are about zero and used ones are selling for about 40-50% more than the new ones. Ugh.
I had to increase the insured value of my Nautilus by so much that the broker expected the carrier to require a re-appraisal but luckily they just accepted it. I don't even know how one would go about getting a grey-market value substantiated in cases where it differs so much from MSRP?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to increase the insured value of my Nautilus by so much that the broker expected the carrier to require a re-appraisal but luckily they just accepted it. I don't even know how one would go about getting a grey-market value substantiated in cases where it differs so much from MSRP?
At a certain point the watch isn't just worth owning anymore. I really wanted the white dial 5711 a few years ago but with the way values of the 5711 (and every other Nautilus variant) exploded the past few years, I probably wouldn't enjoy owning it. Same with the yellow gold AP RO 15202.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics