• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

that is very nice

You should definitely try the watches on to see how they look and feel in person. Photos do not do them justice. From what I have heard the Santos (Santos de Cartier) in steel with ADLC model and the steel blue dial model have been tougher to obtain at ADs in recent months. Its possible that Cartier is shifting more of the supply of those watches to their boutiques (but no confirmation of that as of yet). I have not heard about their being any difficulty obtaining the chronograph Pasha or Santos. The bracelets on the Pasha and Santos are really nicely designed and have the Quickswitch system and Smart Link design so you can easily change between strap and bracelet with a button, and you can size the bracelets just be pressing a button also.

Tanks vary, the Tank Louis Cartier, which at is current size you felt is too small, is a limited production piece and its rare to find one at an AD or a Boutique. They can get them, but it does take time.

A few pix for inspiration.

My Pasha 950 chronograph...this is a vintage one shot model (limited run).

Santos de Cartier. This is a size large case. The Chronograph is slightly larger, and is an XL case.

Tank Louis Cartier XL (this size and model are out of production). However, other Tanks are available such as the Tank Americaine and the Tank Cintree.

the pics actually do quite the justice.

Pasha and Santos de Cartier definitely speak to me, more so pasha as I need a chrono in my life.

@sinnedk - previously mentioned, but I could see you getting along well with the OF:

View attachment 1687638

You know I am just not feeling it. I think Bvlgari and chopard (mentioned above) are both watches that look neat but I think Cartier more for me.

lexmann

Reaction score
Love the Santos Dumont XL S/S but the rose gold version is insanely beautiful. But the price tag....
Screenshot_20210926-220636.png

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Paris last week and stopped by a handful of watch stores. In terms of Rolex, there were many rose gold DJ models available, mostly with oyster bracelets. Almost every time I mentioned that I prefer 36mm to the SAs they tried to talk me out of it, despite them having more availability for that size.

I also went to look for a VC Overseas for fun, but apparently that model is reaching Royal Oak and Nautilus types of scarcity now.

pmeis

Reaction score
Some recent machinations on the less expensive side of my collection.

Somebody made me an offer on the Nomos Metro Update that I felt was a bit bigger than I liked, so I took him up on it and basically made a three for one trade with the proceeds (+$200) on some newly released watches, including the Baltic Calatrava with the Chinese microrotar movement that was mentioned a couple weeks ago. One 41mm watch for two 36mm and one 38mm watch...I find these three together to be more fun.

Some individual pics of the Baltic. Even with concerns of its derivativeness, there just isn't anything that really exists like this under $30k for some reason. There are some Longines Calatrava like options that dabble around $2k, but it's not like there are dozens of 570p lookalikes at all price levels like there are Submariner looking dive watches. Its a strange gap in the marketplace. I think the watch is done well enough for the price. I really like that this watch exists, but I do struggle to understand when I will wear it. Given how seldom I have genuine need to dress up (not that a suit is required to wear it), the cost is probably appropriate for the amount of use I will get out of it. At the same time, on the rare occasion I need to wear a suit, am I really going to want to wear this over my Santos on its gator strap or my Tangente?

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somebody made me an offer on the Nomos Metro Update that I felt was a bit bigger than I liked, so I took him up on it and basically made a three for one trade with the proceeds (+$200) on some newly released watches, including the Baltic Calatrava with the Chinese microrotar movement that was mentioned a couple weeks ago. One 41mm watch for two 36mm and one 38mm watch...I find these three together to be more fun.

Some individual pics of the Baltic. Even with concerns of its derivativeness, there just isn't anything that really exists like this under $30k for some reason. There are some Longines Calatrava like options that dabble around $2k, but it's not like there are dozens of 570p lookalikes at all price levels like there are Submariner looking dive watches. Its a strange gap in the marketplace. I think the watch is done well enough for the price. I really like that this watch exists, but I do struggle to understand when I will wear it. Given how seldom I have genuine need to dress up (not that a suit is required to wear it), the cost is probably appropriate for the amount of use I will get out of it. At the same time, on the rare occasion I need to wear a suit, am I really going to want to wear this over my Santos on its gator strap or my Tangente?

Agreed - that Baltic is super hot. Nearly ordered one too! To your point, not sure why it's so hard to find classically styled micro-brand watches.

Unrelated note...need to stop my cycle of ordering a watch while waiting on a watch I ordered lol

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kind of a win for me, so after all these years my wife might finally decided to get a Cartier Tank Solo (quartz in smallest size)!

it’s a good looking watch. Almost grabbed one but the smaller size felt too small and the larger size looked too big. I went with a Santos Dumont instead.

On the plus side, the Baltic is going for a pretty nice premium at the moment. Not sure how long it will last because from what I understand they will be re-releasing them eventually. I’ll probably pick one up around then if I can.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The tank solo is for her, I would have gone for non quartz for starter (she didn’t know watch needs to be serviced or didn’t think it cost that much to service).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s a great looking watch. To me, it does not have to be paired with formal attire. In fact it reads pretty casual (maybe business) to me.

pmeis

Reaction score
That’s a great looking watch. To me, it does not have to be paired with formal attire. In fact it reads pretty casual (maybe business) to me.

I agree, though the 30m wr and hesalite crystal aren't necessarily aligned well with my day to day lifestyle including an super active 10 month old. We'll see!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics