• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
1634429524785.png

1634429545364.png

1634429567915.png

1634429608815.png

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@sinnedk, I think it's important that a watch complements your aesthetic - I think your Submariner does this.

If I wore artisanal streetwear, I'd lean in to it and consider an Octo Finissimo, particularly one of the more avantgarde renditions, a Classic Fusion, or a Defy.

View attachment 1686787
View attachment 1686786
View attachment 1686785
View attachment 1686797

A Tank, a Santos Dumont, or a Crash could work in a "high meets low" kind of way.

thanks man,

I’m just exploring atm you are right the sub and gmt both hit home the right way.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alpine Eagle with the textured dial is surprisingly attractive in the flesh. Definitely one that does not do well on photos (to contrast with those that do well in photos and not well IRL like the Laureato).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EWC are good peeps. I've bought one (vintage) watch from them and done a lot of browsing. I'm surprised that the watch in question is below retail, as their prices are generally on the high side. The rent on Newbury Street (one of the toniest shopping streets in Boston) is not paying for itself.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool good to know.

are most of their watches pretty easy to come by?

You should definitely try the watches on to see how they look and feel in person. Photos do not do them justice. From what I have heard the Santos (Santos de Cartier) in steel with ADLC model and the steel blue dial model have been tougher to obtain at ADs in recent months. Its possible that Cartier is shifting more of the supply of those watches to their boutiques (but no confirmation of that as of yet). I have not heard about their being any difficulty obtaining the chronograph Pasha or Santos. The bracelets on the Pasha and Santos are really nicely designed and have the Quickswitch system and Smart Link design so you can easily change between strap and bracelet with a button, and you can size the bracelets just be pressing a button also.

Tanks vary, the Tank Louis Cartier, which at is current size you felt is too small, is a limited production piece and its rare to find one at an AD or a Boutique. They can get them, but it does take time.

A few pix for inspiration.

My Pasha 950 chronograph...this is a vintage one shot model (limited run).

Santos de Cartier. This is a size large case. The Chronograph is slightly larger, and is an XL case.

Tank Louis Cartier XL (this size and model are out of production). However, other Tanks are available such as the Tank Americaine and the Tank Cintree.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boston folks - can anyone vouch for European Watch Company https://www.europeanwatch.com/?

They have a new unworn model of a watch that I've been hunting for, except it's suspiciously below retail.

They have a very good reputation. They've been in the same location for over 20 years, and I have friends who have purchased from them and they have all be very happy with the watches and the experience they had with EWC.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank Louis Cartier XL (this size and model are out of production). However, other Tanks are available such as the Tank Americaine and the Tank Cintree.
I'm pretty sure the Cintree is also out of production. There may still be some floating around in boutiques but they're getting harder to find.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Cintree is also out of production. There may still be some floating around in boutiques but they're getting harder to find.

I have seen one or two in boutiques, but I believe you are correct. Still if someone is interested, they just check their computer for inventory, and they can "Pull it from that store, to bring it into a client's nearest boutique"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads