• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, generally speaking, but truth is that I want to wear it on leather and would rather not pay extra for a gold bracelet that I'll never wear. Not a concern for me.
My concern was, if sold originally with a bracelet, what happened to it? Even if it was switched out for a strap, I think the average owner would save the bracelet, as it would likely help resale price. Would be a further concern to me on authenticity, along with the box and papers, as others have noted above.

Don't want to be negative on what would clearly be an important and positive emotional acquisition, but you asked for input. I think most of the posts in reply suggesting caution are from seasoned board members and Rolex owners.

If authentic, it seems like it may be an attractive price today. I haven't been following Rolex prices lately, with the crazy escalation. I seem to recall a Day-date on a bracelet might have been gotten for 10ish a few years ago.

I am sure you have an opportunity to acquire a Day-date that will give you a lot of pleasure. I was toying with getting one used on a bracelet a few years ago, realized it might be a bit too much watch for me to carry off, given my lifestyle and social circles (I also have another Rolex, so the President was definitely a want to have, not need to have for my rotation).

The model does have its own gravitational pull though, and as Jack Forster of Hondinkee has suggested, it may be the Ur Rolex model. Good hunting, post it when you get one.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they service parts installed during a Rolex services (which would be fine by me) or miscellaneous parts installed by a prior owner (not fine).

I genuinely have no problem with service parts, especially service dials if they replace something with patina damage

No, fakes/clones. Not service. Was a superfake this guy assembled, no clue why anyone would put that much into a fake. Seems weird to put in 80% of the cash for the real deal but hey.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they service parts installed during a Rolex services (which would be fine by me) or miscellaneous parts installed by a prior owner (not fine).

I genuinely have no problem with service parts, especially service dials if they replace something with patina damage

I would presume, since he said "Fake ones" they were not genuine Rolex parts. Service parts from Rolex while not original to the watch, are genuine Rolex parts. They are not fake parts. In addition, any watch that is 40 years old, most like has some service parts, crown, tube, gaskets, etc. They only thing people tend to get concerned about with service parts is the dial and hands (a watch with original is always worth more...although, we aren't taking about a double red SD where the dial is a huge part of the value on such a rare watch).

Fake parts can be aftermarket things like bezels, dials, or something else made by a company or watchmaker who is not employed by Rolex or making them for Rolex. In addition, as has been mentioned in this thread before, Rolex will not even work on a watch with an aftermarket/fake parts bezels, dials, bracelets etc., unless you authorize them to remove the aftermarket/fake parts and replace them with parts from Rolex. Rolex has no problem working on their watches that have Rolex service parts.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My concern was, if sold originally with a bracelet, what happened to it? Even if it was switched out for a strap, I think the average owner would save the bracelet, as it would likely help resale price. Would be a further concern to me on authenticity, along with the box and papers, as others have noted above.

Don't want to be negative on what would clearly be an important and positive emotional acquisition, but you asked for input. I think most of the posts in reply suggesting caution are from seasoned board members and Rolex owners.

If authentic, it seems like it may be an attractive price today. I haven't been following Rolex prices lately, with the crazy escalation. I seem to recall a Day-date on a bracelet might have been gotten for 10ish a few years ago.

I am sure you have an opportunity to acquire a Day-date that will give you a lot of pleasure. I was toying with getting one used on a bracelet a few years ago, realized it might be a bit too much watch for me to carry off, given my lifestyle and social circles (I also have another Rolex, so the President was definitely a want to have, not need to have for my rotation).

The model does have its own gravitational pull though, and as Jack Forster of Hondinkee has suggested, it may be the Ur Rolex model. Good hunting, post it when you get one.

Thanks. I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I admit I didn't really think about the "missing bracelet" issue as a potential red flag for authenticity.

pmeis

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I admit I didn't really think about the "missing bracelet" issue as a potential red flag for authenticity.

I don't think the missing bracelet thing is red flag. You got to remember that the majority of watches aren't purchased by people who know the importance of a complete set and maintaining it. This goes espescially for more vintage pieces. There are tons of braceletless Datejusts/Oysterdates/DayDates/etc out there from the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

chrfi

Reaction score
It's Seiko for me today, the high beat GMT.

17pyu8i.jpg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the missing bracelet thing is red flag. You got to remember that the majority of watches aren't purchased by people who know the importance of a complete set and maintaining it. This goes espescially for more vintage pieces. There are tons of braceletless Datejusts/Oysterdates/DayDates/etc out there from the 60s and 70s.

Rolex was also a lot more affordable until very recently. Even 10 years ago, it was completely different. When a watch is more affordable, you don't mind doing things like dial swaps or removing the bracelet and swapping it. Losing the box, etc.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Buy the seller, not the watch." Rolex fakes have gotten so good that I would not buy from anyone other than an AD or a reseller (e.g. DavidSW, European Watch) with a sterling reputation.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would presume, since he said "Fake ones" they were not genuine Rolex parts. Service parts from Rolex while not original to the watch, are genuine Rolex parts. They are not fake parts. In addition, any watch that is 40 years old, most like has some service parts, crown, tube, gaskets, etc. They only thing people tend to get concerned about with service parts is the dial and hands (a watch with original is always worth more...although, we aren't taking about a double red SD where the dial is a huge part of the value on such a rare watch).

Fake parts can be aftermarket things like bezels, dials, or something else made by a company or watchmaker who is not employed by Rolex or making them for Rolex. In addition, as has been mentioned in this thread before, Rolex will not even work on a watch with an aftermarket/fake parts bezels, dials, bracelets etc., unless you authorize them to remove the aftermarket/fake parts and replace them with parts from Rolex. Rolex has no problem working on their watches that have Rolex service parts.

when I took my late father’s watch into the RSC I made sure to tell them I didn’t want anything replaced except for what was absolutely necessary to keep the watch in working order. I think a few bits from the movement were replaced but otherwise it was taken apart, cleaned and put back together.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I took my late father’s watch into the RSC I made sure to tell them I didn’t want anything replaced except for what was absolutely necessary to keep the watch in working order. I think a few bits from the movement were replaced but otherwise it was taken apart, cleaned and put back together.

Collectors don't care about a few parts of the movement that are replaced due to wear and tear. Its like replacing fuel lines/ brake lines or timing belts in a car. Its necessary to keep it in working order, and it doesn't affect its value or overall appearance. There isn't much point in having a watch (or car) that can't be used because parts have worn out.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collectors don't care about a few parts of the movement that are replaced due to wear and tear. Its like replacing fuel lines/ brake lines or timing belts in a car. Its necessary to keep it in working order, and it doesn't affect its value or overall appearance. There isn't much point in having a watch (or car) that can't be used because parts have worn out.

for a vintage piece, at least in my opinion, as long as the visible aspects of it retain their originality and patina that’s what’s most important. I’m not sure how that translates to the value should it go on the auction block, but in my case the function was far more important than the auction value.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering the state of the market these days, is it worth it to throw my hat in the ring at a company-owned boutique for a 4th or 5th watch before purchasing my 2nd or 3rd?

Thinking about a moonshot watches like an AP RO or FJP in 5-10 years time...

As of now I have "registered my interest" for a Rolex Sub 124060 about 6 months ago (and have another 12 months to go until when I'm looking to buy). If the Rolex well is still dry by the time 2023 rolls around, my plan is to pull the trigger on a Cartier Tank Louis (rose gold WGTA0011), and then leverage that purchase history for a 2024 Submariner purchase.

But with these wild wait times for hot watches, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just visit the AP and FPJ boutiques and start that process now for potential 50th bday gifts to myself. I've heard that the AP boutique in NYC is a company-owned store and it operates a true 'wait list' and I know that FPJ is transitioning to boutique-only sales for the US as well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads