• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's actually a big sized watch, I'm leaning towards it being a Rolex Sea-Dweller

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Rolex experts that want to tell me if they see a glaring weakness in this watch? I'm looking for a retirement watch (soon!) and something like this seems to be at the top of the current list, but I haven't bought vintage Rolex before and am hesitant.

I'd love some other recommendations too. Looking (probably) for something in gold, around $15k max but could stretch for something really specific.

psb

Reaction score
Any Rolex experts that want to tell me if they see a glaring weakness in this watch? I'm looking for a retirement watch (soon!) and something like this seems to be at the top of the current list, but I haven't bought vintage Rolex before and am hesitant.

I'd love some other recommendations too. Looking (probably) for something in gold, around $15k max but could stretch for something really specific.
No papers, no box --> do not buy :rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize chrono24 has been around a while, but $10k is a big gamble. I’ve seen too many YouTube videos of just how well made counterfeits are, albeit those are always the more sought after SS sport models.

A few years ago the Real Real got in trouble over its authentication practices as they were thin at best and the emphasis was on making product available.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No papers, no box --> do not buy :rolleyes:

Because of resale value or because you would question the watch itself?

I don't care about resale value, and having the box and papers means nothing to me as long as I can be confident in the legitimacy of the watch.

Reactions: psb

psb

Reaction score
Because of resale value or because you would question the watch itself?

I don't care about resale value, and having the box and papers means nothing to me as long as I can be confident in the legitimacy of the watch.
I do not trust in watches that have no original box and papers. The watch my be a
plagiarism. Only if you know the dealer personally or he has
impeccable reputation i would think about buying without any proof of authentication.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not trust in watches that have no original box and papers. The watch my be a
plagiarism. Only if you know the dealer personally or he has
impeccable reputation i would think about buying without any proof of authentication.

I just think it's tough to expect box/papers on a 40 year old watch - heck, I threw the box away the day after I bought my new Rolex. But I totally understand your point.

Reactions: psb

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My longtime watch repair guy recently said that the Rolex Sub fakes had gotten so good that he could not identify that one was fake from visual examination, even when he thought it likely that it was fake. It was not until he disassembled the watch, specifically looking for discrepancies in the movement, that he could confirm that it was a forgery.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My longtime watch repair guy recently said that the Rolex Sub fakes had gotten so good that he could not identify that one was fake from visual examination, even when he thought it likely that it was fake. It was not until he disassembled the watch, specifically looking for discrepancies in the movement, that he could confirm that it was a forgery.
Yep, same. My AD says they are separating the cases from the movements and selling individually. So you can get a real case with a completely fake movement in it. On my most recent purchase, I had them open the case and double check even though it came with box and papers. Box and papers easier to forge than the watch

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other question I would have on this watch is where is the bracelet(where most of the gold would be)? Over the years, 90% + of the Day-dates I have noticed have been on a bracelet.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other question I would have on this watch is where is the bracelet(where most of the gold would be)? Over the years, 90% + of the Day-dates I have noticed have been on a bracelet.

Yes, generally speaking, but truth is that I want to wear it on leather and would rather not pay extra for a gold bracelet that I'll never wear. Not a concern for me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone had an older AP serviced/refreshed in the US? How was the experience? Thanks.

I haven't had mine serviced yet, but I've heard great things about the service center in Clearwater, FL.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, same. My AD says they are separating the cases from the movements and selling individually. So you can get a real case with a completely fake movement in it.

That's one of the reasons if you service a Rolex in the US, they won't give you the old parts such as hands, dials, bracelets, bezels, winding crowns etc. It's sold on a trade in basis and Rolex keeps the old parts, so that owners of the old parts don't sell them on ebay were they can end up in the hands of people who make make Franken/fake watches that use some real Rolex parts.

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, Rolex fakes are amazing. I once got scammed after an AD told me it was good to go! Turns out it was a frankenwatch with various Rolex parts and fake ones. Real movement, real case and real crystal, random other fake parts.

I actually ended up getting my watch back, reported the guy, and sold the real movement to a local dealer here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, Rolex fakes are amazing. I once got scammed after an AD told me it was good to go! Turns out it was a frankenwatch with various Rolex parts and fake ones. Real movement, real case and real crystal, random other fake parts.

I actually ended up getting my watch back, reported the guy, and sold the real movement to a local dealer here.

Were they service parts installed during a Rolex services (which would be fine by me) or miscellaneous parts installed by a prior owner (not fine).

I genuinely have no problem with service parts, especially service dials if they replace something with patina damage

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads