• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenician

Reaction score
The dual-time is so so so good...I want this really bad.

The comical part is that they're only making 150 of each. I'll wager that all 150 of each were spoken for within minutes of the announcement; VC dealers and boutiques likely already have these set aside for special clients and unfortunately, flippers.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The comical part is that they're only making 150 of each. I'll wager that all 150 of each were spoken for within minutes of the announcement; VC dealers and boutiques likely already have these set aside for special clients and unfortunately, flippers.

Yeah, based on the comments on Hodinkee that's exactly the case, which sucks.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question about customs forms for shipment via DHL -

I have a watch incoming to the US from abroad which is being shipped by DHL. I got a text to say it’s on the way. Then I got a text with a form attached for me to complete, estimating the separate values of movement, case, strap and battery / automatic / windup.

I’m assuming that this is so they can calculate how much to sting me for on import duties. Does anyone have experience of this and if so, any advice on how to complete the form. Value of the entire watch (lightly used) is of course flexible but how on earth would you separate the value of the case from the movement?

Even the overall value? This detailed at around $6800 but on the used market I e seen them range from around 3500 to 6000 so it’s not even easy to estimate the ‘actual’ value of a lightly used watch (as opposed to what I paid). I am waiting to hear back from the seller if he specified a $$ value when he shipped and insured.

Anyone know even roughly their formula, ie if a watch is declared at a total value of $5k they’ll charge me 10 percent = $500 or something?

Advice / thoughts / experiences most welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a watch incoming to the US from abroad which is being shipped by DHL. I got a text to say it’s on the way. Then I got a text with a form attached for me to complete, estimating the separate values of movement, case, strap and battery / automatic / windup.

I’m assuming that this is so they can calculate how much to sting me for on import duties. Does anyone have experience of this and if so, any advice on how to complete the form. Value of the entire watch (lightly used) is of course flexible but how on earth would you separate the value of the case from the movement?

Even the overall value? This detailed at around $6800 but on the used market I e seen them range from around 3500 to 6000 so it’s not even easy to estimate the ‘actual’ value of a lightly used watch (as opposed to what I paid). I am waiting to hear back from the seller if he specified a $$ value when he shipped and insured.

Anyone know even roughly their formula, ie if a watch is declared at a total value of $5k they’ll charge me 10 percent = $500 or something?

I reached out to DHL about how taxes were calculated when I considered ordering a watch from an AD in Europe and none of the people I talked to could be me a straight answer...and based upon that I decided to scratch that idea, since it could amount to a couple extra grand based upon how the calculations went...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Value of the entire watch (lightly used) is of course flexible but how on earth would you separate the value of the case from the movement?

Buying something shouldn’t be this complicated.

Not a lawyer or accountant, but if I had to guess this is probably so no one sends a platinum watch with a diamond bezel with a sales receipt of $250...basically its asking you to parse out the value of the items to see if they individually are worth significantly more than the amount on the invoice to stop people cheating the system.

I'd ask the AD for a breakdown, or maybe just send along a number of comps form Chrono24 or whatever...

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% agree, good think that I just can't seem to like the overseas line. I do like a bunch of the classic dress watches but then I feel like ALS and PP make better them better.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah, did you buy from a personal seller and/or a small dealer? I had to do this too from a small dealer in Belgium, and in the end, just winged it. However, it's extremely important that you have the exact number that the seller put down as the value, or else it will get stuck in customs for a long while. I don't remember how much extra I paid. It was in the same ballpark as your watch, and I think that it was closer to 5%, but apparently, I've blocked it out of my mind.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Ah, did you buy from a personal seller and/or a small dealer? I had to do this too from a small dealer in Belgium, and in the end, just winged it. However, it's extremely important that you have the exact number that the seller put down as the value, or else it will get stuck in customs for a long while. I don't remember how much extra I paid. It was in the same ballpark as your watch, and I think that it was closer to 5%, but apparently, I've blocked it out of my mind.

it’s not a lot, and in the past I’ve just guessed at the numbers. Nobody cares; it’s just bureaucrats collecting paper so they can preserve their pathetic low value jobs.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score

I'm just a lurker on this thread but I think this might be helpful.

Movement is very low tax. So if the most of value can be attributed to the movement, they your tax will be very low.

View attachment 1672962

This is only info that I read in a couple places and not something I have experience.

dan'l

Reaction score

I‘ve done this before. You need to refer to the harmonized tariff schedule and it is quite detailed, based on country of origin, auto vs. manual wind, number of jewels, etc. Some watches have a very high tariff based on the factors mentioned, whereas others have almost none. The case, movement and bracelet (or strap) are separately calculated.

With all that said, I searched a long time for a watch I wanted and after locating one overseas, did a rough calculation of the anticipated tariffs, based on that doc I linked. In the end, I actually paid a bit less than what I anticipated, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Gabagool

Reaction score
36mm Tudor sub day, cause my 6 inch wrist ain’t made for Rolex sizes
E7BE072D-CA16-4D21-B58C-CFB0E178C55B.jpeg

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
Yesterday I moved my daughter into her dorm, and just like that the nest was empty. While sitting in the lot and waiting our turn to load out at the dorm, I had an unexpected call from my AD to let me know he had something for me at the store. Like with many things, the timing with timepieces can be everything. Stopped by today to pick up this memento:
6DC9A351-935D-421F-8A52-D95A2817C1B2.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I moved my daughter into her dorm, and just like that the nest was empty. While sitting in the lot and waiting our turn to load out at the dorm, I had an unexpected call from my AD to let me know he had something for me at the store. Like with many things, the timing with timepieces can be everything. Stopped by today to pick up this memento:
View attachment 1673497

Very nice! So your patience paid off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads