• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch looks great but I could do without the date. If I could afford $30k-$50k dress watches, I'd lean towards VC more than Patek or any other brand.

The date on that one, just screws up an absolutely beautiful dial and a great looking watch. Other than that, I love the case and dial.

When I was really more into dress than sports watches, VC was my favorite. I found their designs a bit more fun and interesting than the Calatravas of the day.

I know I just defended the 4:30 date on a chrono, but this is actually the worst date on a Chrono or just about any watch IMO. Floating out from the edge, so you know the movement is too small for the case. Then actually at 445 instead of in the middle of the indexes. I'm not sure which is a worse offense (leaning towards the 445 placement), but regardless its as if there was no thought given to the date at all.

The 4:30 date issue has never been a deal breaker for me. For me it always depends on the watch. Yes, the date shifted closer to 4:45 on the RO chronograph when they went from a 39 mm case to a 41 mm case. On the 39 mm cases it was centered. See the below examples. In addition, the 39 mm RO Chronographs had subdials that are all the same size. On the 41 mm chronographs, the minutes and hours subdials are larger than the continuous seconds subdial.

1631808797530.png
1631808840431.png
1631808905416.png

pmeis

Reaction score
The date on that one, just screws up an absolutely beautiful dial and a great looking watch. Other than that, I love the case and dial.

When I was really more into dress than sports watches, VC was my favorite. I found their designs a bit more fun and interesting than the Calatravas of the day.

The 4:30 date issue has never been a deal breaker for me. For me it always depends on the watch. Yes, the date shifted closer to 4:45 on the RO chronograph when they went from a 39 mm case to a 41 mm case. On the 39 mm cases it was centered. See the below examples. In addition, the 39 mm RO Chronographs had subdials that are all the same size. On the 41 mm chronographs, the minutes and hours subdials are larger than the continuous seconds subdial.

View attachment 1669881 View attachment 1669884 View attachment 1669885

These definitely look better to me, though that last one's date orientation is quite odd, isn't it?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Just curious about what aspects of the watch make you say that.

More interesting movement, more interesting subdial design (in my opinion), subdials are actually lined up with 3 and 9 which hasn't been the case on the Daytona since they stopped using the Zenith movement, display caseback, non screwdown pushers

Daytona is a fantastic watch and I still prefer its slightly smaller size for my wrist size, however

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
For sure, both of them are great chronographs. And let's face it, the Daytona is an icon at this point.

The feature I probably like most about the Zenith is actually the "tenth of a second" capability, as displayed on the bezel. Well, that, and the fact you can actually buy one LOL.

Also very, nice pickup by @Phoenician with that Defy 21. Congratulations....great pics, too.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More interesting movement, more interesting subdial design (in my opinion), subdials are actually lined up with 3 and 9 which hasn't been the case on the Daytona since they stopped using the Zenith movement, display caseback, non screwdown pushers

Daytona is a fantastic watch and I still prefer its slightly smaller size for my wrist size, however

I get it. I guess for me, I’m more interested in the visual. The size of the sub dials with their the apparent 3 tones makes it look a bit too busy. The edges of the sub dials are bumping into each other further adding to the crowded nature of the dial.

that’s what caught my eye.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get it. I guess for me, I’m more interested in the visual. The size of the sub dials with their the apparent 3 tones makes it look a bit too busy. The edges of the sub dials are bumping into each other further adding to the crowded nature of the dial.

that’s what caught my eye.

Yeah, I definitely recognize that the larger (and overlapping) subdials aren't everyone's cup of tea. The overlapping subs are fairly typical of Zenith (and they are less pronounced here than on some of there other models) and I don't feel strongly about them either way but I do appreciate the splash of color on them

Phoenician

Reaction score
For sure, both of them are great chronographs. And let's face it, the Daytona is an icon at this point.

The feature I probably like most about the Zenith is actually the "tenth of a second" capability, as displayed on the bezel. Well, that, and the fact you can actually buy one LOL.

Also very, nice pickup by @Phoenician with that Defy 21. Congratulations....great pics, too.

Thanks Keith! The Defy 21 is 1/100th of a second, so it's killer to watch that center hand spin around like a bat out of hell!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads