• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Longines...today's choice.

080421.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After all this talk about watches, when I look at videos (mostly classical music interests) on the computer I keep seeing watch flipping video's pushed my way. I'm told it's THE way to earn a living today. :) Given some of the prices here I suppose it could be. Do we have any "professional" flippers here?

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get a Seamaster 300 for $5k? If so, that's a hard choice to pass up.

Is your wrist big enough for a Longines Legend Diver? That's a good looking watch and a damn fine value prop. Lugs are so darn long though.

On bracelet for the blue dial. I think the black and grey dials are a little bit cheaper. The white dials are more popular and will probably cost more than $5k.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On bracelet for the blue dial. I think the black and grey dials are a little bit cheaper. The white dials are more popular and will probably cost more than $5k.

Oh yeah...that's not the one I was thinking about. I don't like those at all (no dice on the helium escape valve and skeleton hands).

I meant this:

img-SE300mc-vueC-large.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, on the subject of dive watches, sending this one to the group (although I kind of have some ideas already).

Looking for a dive watch, or a "sporty" watch with decent WR (100m), at or under $5,000 (that is not a hard cap, but I don't want to get into Rolex Sub money). Was considering a no date Sub for a while, but I think I want to fly more under the radar.
Black Bay or BB58?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah...that's not the one I was thinking about. I don't like those at all (no dice on the helium escape valve and skeleton hands).

I meant this:

View attachment 1648714
Those go for over $5k and that's the newest model released a few months ago. You could probably find used versions of the prior generation for under $5k but BNIB will still cost close to $6k.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, on the subject of dive watches, sending this one to the group (although I kind of have some ideas already).

Looking for a dive watch, or a "sporty" watch with decent WR (100m), at or under $5,000 (that is not a hard cap, but I don't want to get into Rolex Sub money). Was considering a no date Sub for a while, but I think I want to fly more under the radar.

My choices would be (have been):

Under 5k = BB58

Over 5k = no date sub

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, funny enough, two mentioned are the primary contenders:

42C0175D-C1E5-4D6D-AAE2-1E47D67562DB.jpeg

B56B941C-4666-4E43-918A-B5B5BC9022A1.jpeg

I love the no date sub but man, am I getting burned out on that watch. Most of my friends / acquaintances have one, want one, or know that it is $10k on the wrist, and that has soured me.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Omega recently released a new rubber strap that can fit a deployante buckle if you don't like the rubber strap with a pin buckle.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, funny enough, two mentioned are the primary contenders:

View attachment 1648727
View attachment 1648728

I love the no date sub but man, am I getting burned out on that watch. Most of my friends / acquaintances have one, want one, or know that it is $10k on the wrist, and that has soured me.
How big is your wrist? You can get an older model Panerai Sub for under $5k

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I am admittedly a serial watch flipper, dive watches have generally suffered from the quickest flips once they get in my hands. It hasn't seemed to matter if they're cheap or expensive. I did manage to keep my Hulk for about a year, but I'd guess the average dive watch lasts less than 2 months. Currently have these two. The Seiko predates the Unimatic by about a month, but I think is likely to stick around. The Unimatic does what it does well, but I don't really see myself wearing it much long term. The Seiko is cheap enough where maybe I can convince myself to keep it and stop wasting time buying dive watches.

I simply dont understand the appeal of these watches. maybe that's why they dont stay in your collection very long. how about the james cameron deep sea ?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like I repeatedly hear, on other fora, people bemoaning the lack of conservative, well proportioned, reasonably sized watches on the market. Yet, the JLC master series has been doing this for eons. The Master Geo, Master Calendar, Master Chrono, MUT Moon, etc., often range from 36mm to 40mm, are not too thick, and have very traditional design. I cannot help but feel like most people are not, in fact, interested in conservative and well proportioned watches when it comes time to swiping the credit card.
I agree about JLC and this explains why I own more than a few (bought my first back in 92). My wrist is 7 1/4" and the smaller understated size is what gets me to swipe the card. I'm thinking my Ultra Thin is only 32mm. My Geographique is about 36mm. BUT, I was in a store this weekend and was only seeing 39mm -- mostly 40mm -- and above in the JLC Master lineup. Right now I'm wearing the store owner's personal Master Grand Ultra Thin (39 to 40mm). He thought it would grow on me. It has, a bit, but not enough to buy. Without complications the dial feels oversized and empty. Tonight he's coming to dinner and I'll hand it back ... without a credit card to get my own.

Hopefully the old models are still available -- I saw none Saturday -- but it appears many models have been "supersized". Oh well, there is always the secondary market.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big is your wrist? You can get an older model Panerai Sub for under $5k

I have thought about Panerai recently. My wrist is pretty much exactly 7”.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tangent: I feel like I repeatedly hear, on other fora, people bemoaning the lack of conservative, well proportioned, reasonably sized watches on the market. Yet, the JLC master series has been doing this for eons. The Master Geo, Master Calendar, Master Chrono, MUT Moon, etc., often range from 36mm to 40mm, are not too thick, and have very traditional design. I cannot help but feel like most people are not, in fact, interested in conservative and well proportioned watches when it comes time to swiping the credit card.

I think that's part of it. They forget to say they want an inexpensive conservative, well-proportioned dress watch. I think the MUT Moon is one of the most beautiful dress watches out there, if not the most beautiful to my eyes....I just went to their website to look at them again, and did they recently change the case size? I swear I thought they were all 40mm. Now the website shows 36mm and 39mm versions.

Vintage Panerai at auction or Oris anywhere
+1 to Oris. Are you looking at more "luxury" style divers or more chunky/"toolish" style? Vintage inspired?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads