• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so a few months ago I came thru asking about a watch to get to celebrate my daughter's birth.

After reviewing a bunch of options, I think I settled on the JLC Master Geo. I walked into the store expecting to love the mut moon, but actually fell in love with this gmt and world time complication. It's the perfect level of everyday dress watch (I think this falls into that grey area that Foo was talking about since it's not actually a dress watch).

I don't know when I'll be getting it, but I'm hoping to get it in the next year.

View attachment 1648475

now hurry up and make another baby so you can buy the other one too! ??

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so a few months ago I came thru asking about a watch to get to celebrate my daughter's birth.

After reviewing a bunch of options, I think I settled on the JLC Master Geo. I walked into the store expecting to love the mut moon, but actually fell in love with this gmt and world time complication. It's the perfect level of everyday dress watch (I think this falls into that grey area that Foo was talking about since it's not actually a dress watch).

I don't know when I'll be getting it, but I'm hoping to get it in the next year.

View attachment 1648475
A watch is a great way to celebrate the birth of a child, congrats again!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1648475

I pretty much only wear my Georgraphic nowadays. Cannot tell you how much I love it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1648475
Here's hoping you get yours soon.

This is perhaps my favorite watch out there. I first saw the Geographique in 92 (a previous model) while looking at a magazine in a United Airlines lounge. As I was traveling a lot, I knew I had to have that watch. I got the gold version -- don't think it was offered in steel prior to the Master series -- but I think the steel would be more useful. That said, I do like the overlapping dials (the architect in me) of the 24 hour indicator of the older version. But in my book steel is preferable to gold in this watch.
IMG_4812.jpg

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1648475

Exactly. This is a fantastic “dress” watch you can wear casually.

JB2410

Reaction score
Here's hoping you get yours soon.

This is perhaps my favorite watch out there. I first saw the Geographique in 92 (a previous model) while looking at a magazine in a United Airlines lounge. As I was traveling a lot, I knew I had to have that watch. I got the gold version -- don't think it was offered in steel prior to the Master series -- but I think the steel would be more useful. That said, I do like the overlapping dials (the architect in me) of the 24 hour indicator of the older version. But in my book steel is preferable to gold in this watch. View attachment 1648605
I have this in the rose gold. A pretty generous present earlier this year. It’s a beautiful watch. Great proportions. And the complications make it less dressy. But in gold it really is a dress watch. No getting away from it tbh. Steel definitely loses some of the formality and makes it more wearable.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo....sounds like y'all approve!

I think this is a great choice. Nicely straddles dress and casual. And with the complications, I feel this is a great value. Perhaps I am somewhat biased, but the JLC master series provides a great amount of value, and I believe it is criminally underrated.

A tangent: I feel like I repeatedly hear, on other fora, people bemoaning the lack of conservative, well proportioned, reasonably sized watches on the market. Yet, the JLC master series has been doing this for eons. The Master Geo, Master Calendar, Master Chrono, MUT Moon, etc., often range from 36mm to 40mm, are not too thick, and have very traditional design. I cannot help but feel like most people are not, in fact, interested in conservative and well proportioned watches when it comes time to swiping the credit card.

pmeis

Reaction score
It's sort of funny that you keep buying dive watches, but they never stay in your collection for very long. One thing I like more about the Seiko than the Unimatic, is the greater contrast between the dial color and the lum markings. Under bright light in your photo the lum markings of the Unimatic get a little washed out. Maybe my eyes are old, but at a quick glance outdoors on a sunny day it might not be that easy to read the time (at least based on the photo), but IRL it may not be an issue.

I did at least stop buying more expensive dive watches, the last few have been $1200 or under and either preowned or ones not at risk of losing much in resale, like the Unimatic.

My mother-in-law basically made the same comment to me in less technical terms based on posting the photo on my IG feed. The Unimatic definitely loses utility for the benefit of style a bit.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, on the subject of dive watches, sending this one to the group (although I kind of have some ideas already).

Looking for a dive watch, or a "sporty" watch with decent WR (100m), at or under $5,000 (that is not a hard cap, but I don't want to get into Rolex Sub money). Was considering a no date Sub for a while, but I think I want to fly more under the radar.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously Omega Seamaster 300m Pro Diver.
Also, on the subject of dive watches, sending this one to the group (although I kind of have some ideas already).

Looking for a dive watch, or a "sporty" watch with decent WR (100m), at or under $5,000 (that is not a hard cap, but I don't want to get into Rolex Sub money). Was considering a no date Sub for a while, but I think I want to fly more under the radar.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Vintage Panerai at auction or Oris anywhere.
19806174-pj2vxxgnrerh37a727q2zk1s-Zoom.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have this in the rose gold. A pretty generous present earlier this year. It’s a beautiful watch. Great proportions. And the complications make it less dressy. But in gold it really is a dress watch. No getting away from it tbh. Steel definitely loses some of the formality and makes it more wearable.
A part of me wants to get a newer one in steel. But I fear I'll never or rarely wear the gold one again.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously Omega Seamaster 300m Pro Diver.

Can you get a Seamaster 300 for $5k? If so, that's a hard choice to pass up.

Is your wrist big enough for a Longines Legend Diver? That's a good looking watch and a damn fine value prop. Lugs are so darn long though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics