• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a really a track car, you can buy a GT3 touring for example without the wing - looks more subtle and is still a beast.
The 991.2 911 GT3 Touring would be the GT car I would get if I had the money.

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For years I just assumed that was a simple cargo shelf behind the 911's front seat. Every time I was in one (as a passenger), that's what I saw. Only recently did I discover (much to my surprise) there are actual seats if the shelf is folded up. That strikes me as funny ... although possibly useful. The few performance cars I've owned did not have rear seats.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For years I just assumed that was a simple cargo shelf behind the 911's front seat. Every time I was in one (as a passenger), that's what I saw. Only recently did I discover (much to my surprise) there are actual seats if the shelf is folded up. That strikes me as funny ... although possibly useful. The few performance cars I've owned did not have rear seats.

lower insurance rates in most cases. Four seat “passenger” car vs. pure sports car. It doesn’t matter that the rear seats are too small to actually function to hold adults. They are seats nonetheless.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lower insurance rates in most cases. Four seat “passenger” car vs. pure sports car. It doesn’t matter that the rear seats are too small to actually function to hold adults. They are seats nonetheless.

I don't think the little kid seats affect insurance rates for 911s or other 2+2 sports cars - at least not any more, may a very long time ago they did? The main things I've heard of that affect insurance are location, type of vehicle, vehicle use(daily driver vs weekend/collectible), miles you drive per year, (low miles per year is often a discount) age, gender, marital status, driving record, claims history.

Reactions: RSS

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the little kid seats affect insurance rates for 911s or other 2+2 sports cars - at least not any more, may a very long time ago they did? The main things I've heard of that affect insurance are location, type of vehicle, vehicle use(daily driver vs weekend/collectible), miles you drive per year, (low miles per year is often a discount) age, gender, marital status, driving record, claims history.
I always liked the urban myth of red color cars having higher insurance.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indirectly red, yellow, and orange, probably do...they tend attract the attention of the police in a sea of gray, white, and silver cars...so you may be more likely to get a ticket that will lead to a surcharge and higher insurance rates ;) :rotflmao:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Story of my life. When I was in my early 30s my insurnace rate was 26 points. I had to re-register all my private cars to my buisness just to avoid being raped. Not a single accident all my life, but ******* Massachusetts cops collected their pound of flesh all the same.
Traffic courts was my second job :brick:.

If you want to get out of big speeding ticket I have a recipe for you.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Story of my life. When I was in my early 30s my insurnace rate was 26 points. I had to re-register all my private cars to my business just to avoid being raped. Not a single accident all my life, but ******* Massachusetts cops collected their pound of flesh all the same.
Traffic courts was my second job :brick:.

If you want to get out of big speeding ticket I have a recipe for you.

Oh that's brutal!!! I got plenty of speeding tickets in Massachusetts when I was in student living in Boston.

I also remember years ago a friend who is a lawyer was in a courthouse and he overheard a Massachusetts state trooper say, if he pulls over a Lexus, MB, or BMW (although I imagine for him it applied to any luxury or sports car) the driver is getting a speeding ticket because their car costs more than he made before overtime.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same here, plus the amount of claims they have on that model in your age group has an impact. My 911 is cheaper to insure than my 3 series BMW partially because of the lower mileage per year and partially because 40 somethings crash a higher percentage of 3 series than 911s.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have some insights as to the (full size) Landcruiser's failure in the UK market? I heard people didn't enjoy the truck like driving experience. They're a big hit in the Middle East and Australia, but disappeared from the US altogether. I guess if you're mostly driving on roads and near plentiful repair shops you might as well go German or Indian. But there is something special about driving something at the extreme end of an evolutionary path, to accept the compromises that come with the full experience.
It’s a good question - they aren’t all that popular here. I think if you are going to have a full size SUV in a country with narrow roads and small parking spaces, then it has to be at the luxury end of the market - either German or a Land Rover product. Full size Far Eastern SUVs of any manufacturer aren’t that popular here, but the mid size ones are very common, but mid size and s SUVs in general are more popular than full size ones here, same with saloon cars.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I managed to get out of a ticket once because the cop said "Just because you drive a hot red car..." He'd gotten us for crossing a double yellow in Tilden Park (hills behind Berkeley). It was double yellow for MILES and we were behind bicyclers who would NOT give way. We were very careful ... and had at least 1000' of vision as they were going slowly uphill. Judge was wavering until I mentioned the hot red car comment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads