• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the use of affectation interesting. A few years back the same could be said about the push to larger.
So much really depends upon the size of the person wearing the watch ... whether it's a dress or casual or sports watch ... and the personal style/personality of the wearer. It's probably good to have a range of sizes. But yes, some makers who are famous for big and extra big will just remain there.

I agree there is room for a wide variety even for the same person.

I just think it’s gotten to the point of affectation when every new watch is met with a chorus of “this would be great if it was 36mm”. I also think a lot of people seem to think all watches should be made for their wrist alone (this goes for both big and small).

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, not being an enthusiast, I would not wear even 42mm watch on my 7.25'' wrist. It is jarring and disproportionate when a watch looks like something out of Indiana Jones movies.
I would agree with you ... it is jarring and disproportionate when a watch is TOO BIG. That's my view. I also think Rolex is tacky with a capital T ... but that's not a widely held view here.

My wrist is the same size as yours. My 39mm +/- Flieger chronograph on my arm looks okay to me. But that 39mm JLC yesterday looked like a clown watch (well, to me and on my wrist). But each to his/her own. Some guys want to put on a show. They want people to notice their watch. They want to make a statement and to them BIG is beautiful. Others want discretion. A smaller watch is more tasteful in their eyes. Putting on a show just isn't their thing. And there is always simple aesthetics ... be it bigger or smaller. And I'm sure there are countless other ways to look at it.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No steering wheel in this photo...just some pasta and chicken parm from a very late lunch.

Strong watch game.
Weak collander game.
Super wet pasta. Unless you like it that way, then my good-natured sardonic barb makes me look like a (bigger?) tool.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with you ... it is jarring and disproportionate when a watch is TOO BIG. That's my view. I also think Rolex is tacky with a capital T ... but that's not a widely held view here.

My wrist is the same size as yours. My 39mm +/- Flieger chronograph on my arm looks okay to me. But that 39mm JLC yesterday looked like a clown watch (well, to me and on my wrist). But each to his/her own. Some guys want to put on a show. They want people to notice their watch. They want to make a statement and to them BIG is beautiful. Others want discretion. A smaller watch is more tasteful in their eyes. Putting on a show just isn't their thing. And there is always simple aesthetics ... be it bigger or smaller. And I'm sure there are countless other ways to look at it.

This is part of what bothers me about the whole conversation…the idea that there is some morally superior choice here, which is utter nonsense.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both points (that 39mm is too big for a dress watch, and that rose gold just feels flash) resonated with me. Are we finally over the curve of the "big watch" curve of the aughts? And why is there so much rose/red/whatever gold relative to history? I've personally never liked it. While "yellow" gold can be far from understated, it "feels" less flash to me than alloys (other than white gold). Would certainly be interested to hear, from those more knowledgeable than I, why these shifts happened. They are two of my least favorite design points in contemporary dress watches.

There are still plenty of large watches on the market from a variety of makers. However, we have seen some companies offering some smaller pieces. Rolex cut the Explorer from 39mm to 36 this year. As of 2017 Cartier offered a more classic size Tank Louis Cartier compared to the out going Tank Louis XL extra flat...which just didn't have the right proportions. In addition, their large Santos de Cartier is smaller than the old Santos 100, and their largest Pasha drop from 42 to 41mm (although that's still large). We will just have to wait and see what happens with watch sizes.

As for rose gold, its been quite popular for at least the last 20 + years (but it has been an option from companies like Patek, AP, VC and others long before that...although back then their production numbers were lower than today so probably still didn't see them that often). It is important to remember there are various shade of pink/rose gold, and there is even red gold (all depending on the copper content...although I'm not a fan of red gold). I have one VC that is 4N pink gold and it looks just a shade beyond yellow gold if placed next to a yg watch. I have one that is 5n rose gold and its a more rosy color. Personally, I've always thought pink and rose gold look far more understand and less flashy than yellow gold. Depending on the watch some pieces in yellow gold just scream 1985...and not in a good way! Then again some watches can look great in yellow gold or pink gold. Dial color can also make a difference. Panerai and some other companies pair rose gold with a blue dial, and that just doesn't work for me. Rose gold watches look much better with a white dial, silver dial, or a black dial than blue. While yellow gold works well with almost any dial color including blue.

Reactions: RSS

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strong watch game.
Weak collander game.
Super wet pasta. Unless you like it that way, then my good-natured sardonic barb makes me look like a (bigger?) tool.

Thanks for the comment on the watch game! Yes, not their day with pasta, but I was in a bit of a hurry, and the parm was very good. Cheers!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the idea that there is some morally superior choice here, which is utter nonsense.
We each have our views. Is one "morally" superior to the other. I don't think so. Aesthetically ... perhaps ... after all this is a style forum. We also have our reasons for what we buy & wear. But, what is and isn't superior is ... just opinion.

I've never particularly liked suits by Poole either. But, my best friend uses them ... and wears a Rolex. I tell him I'm not a fan of either ... he tells me to go to hell. We're even.

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with the car except for the wing (perhaps it serves a purpose beyond affect). And I want to like the blue color ... "secretly" I think I do ... but I can't help but think Smurftastic.
The wing does serve a purpose it created more downforce and keeps the cars front end planted on high speed. Porsche does not slap **** for looks.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The wing does serve a purpose it created more downforce and keeps the cars front end planted on high speed. Porsche does not slap **** for looks.
I get the function. Do all models of the 911 have it? If not why not? If not, is there something about the design of Foo's 911 that makes it necessary ... or a real positive? I'm truly curious about this.

I owned an 8C and didn't really feel I needed one ... then again I didn't push the limits.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some guys want to put on a show. They want people to notice their watch. They want to make a statement and to them BIG is beautiful. Others want discretion. A smaller watch is more tasteful in their eyes. Putting on a show just isn't their thing.

The above statement is essentially saying “I wear a small watch and that makes me better than all the dirty show offs who wear a big watch because the like to show off”.

Just own it.

• Sad
Reactions: RSS

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the function. Do all models of the 911 have it? If not why not? If not, is there something about the design of Foo's 911 that makes it necessary ... or a real positive? I'm truly curious about this.

I owned an 8C and didn't really feel I needed one ... then again I didn't push the limits.

Very short answer:
Not all 911s have it because they aren't all meant to be tracked. Or rather, some people are more serious about taking their cars to the track and others just drive theirs around the neighborhood. The track oriented 911s have the wing. The wing is definitely an engineering feature.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The above statement is essentially saying “I wear a small watch and that makes me better than all the dirty show offs who wear a big watch because the like to show off”.
I'm not better than anyone. I'm different. We are all different.

Do I prefer what I like? Yes. Does it make me better? Of course not.

There is no need for me to own YOUR comment.

Now, this conversation is over.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Like 9th mentioned, all of the track focused Porsches have the giant rear wing. The other 911’s and 718 road oriented coupes have the retractable wings.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very short answer:
Not all 911s have it because they aren't all meant to be tracked. Or rather, some people are more serious about taking their cars to the track and others just drive theirs around the neighborhood. The track oriented 911s have the wing. The wing is definitely an engineering feature.

Like 9th mentioned, all of the track focused Porsches have the giant rear wing. The other 911’s and 718 road oriented coupes have the retractable wings.

Thanks guys, that is VERY helpful.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very short answer:
Here is another possibile explanation. It is a design error that prompted Porsche to put that wing on to increase stability of the car at high speed . I remember when Audi had to do it to TT models because they would become unstable at high speeds & rear would go all over the road. It is quite possible Porsche did the same. In any case, disproportinately large watches just like XL wings on cars are not always functional, but they are always for attention whoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads