• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fine with the car except for the wing (perhaps it serves a purpose beyond affect). And I want to like the blue color ... "secretly" I think I do ... but I can't help but think Smurftastic.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had snagged one of those Kurono watches. Very interesting / unique design language. I really like his handsets.

stdavidshead

Reaction score
After talking to my favorite watch dealer -- the talking included a bit of prodding -- I decided to get a JLC Master Ultra Thin with Small Seconds (in rose gold). The case is a whopping 39mm (felt larger to me). I went in today and when I tried it on I looked a tad like Edith Ann (older guys may remember) wearing a big watch. If not Edith Ann then one of those old people (yes, I'm 70) who wear extra big watches due to poor eyesight. Just didn't work for me. I also decided that gold doesn't work in my world these days. Too flashy.

I guess I'm still looking ... or maybe I have all the watches I'll ever really want. I certainly have more than I need.

Both points (that 39mm is too big for a dress watch, and that rose gold just feels flash) resonated with me. Are we finally over the curve of the "big watch" curve of the aughts? And why is there so much rose/red/whatever gold relative to history? I've personally never liked it. While "yellow" gold can be far from understated, it "feels" less flash to me than alloys (other than white gold). Would certainly be interested to hear, from those more knowledgeable than I, why these shifts happened. They are two of my least favorite design points in contemporary dress watches.

Man with a suitcase

Reaction score
A question for you Rolex enthusiasts out there:

My Milgauss will not wind any longer, the crown is very stiff when winding clockwise (only when winding, time setting is smooth) but the turn and lock is no problem. It’s never been serviced since it’s still quite new for a Rolex and I bought it new.

Has anyone else had such a problem and if yes, how much did you pay to get it fixed?

The 5 year warranty ran out in May :-( .

I’m going to the AD tomorrow to see what they say. Getting ready for a minimum 500€ bill and hope that’s the minimum. Lol I’m screwed. The watch can be seen in the photo.

Attachments

• 85D95C04-E970-4D21-9E8A-2C9D24C58162.jpeg
    85D95C04-E970-4D21-9E8A-2C9D24C58162.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for you Rolex enthusiasts out there:

My Milgauss will not wind any longer, the crown is very stiff when winding clockwise (only when winding, time setting is smooth) but the turn and lock is no problem. It’s never been serviced since it’s still quite new for a Rolex and I bought it new.

Has anyone else had such a problem and if yes, how much did you pay to get it fixed?

The 5 year warranty ran out in May :-( .

I’m going to the AD tomorrow to see what they say. Getting ready for a minimum 500€ bill and hope that’s the minimum. Lol I’m screwed. The watch can be seen in the photo.

It could be a bit more than that. I had my 16570 Explorer II serviced by Rolex's service center in NYC, back in 2014, and it was around $600 (590 Euros) and that was with nothing being wrong with it. Prices may have gone up, and there is clearly something that is wrong with your watch, so it may depend on if anything needs to be replaced. Wishing you luck with your service/repair.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both points (that 39mm is too big for a dress watch, and that rose gold just feels flash) resonated with me. Are we finally over the curve of the "big watch" curve of the aughts? And why is there so much rose/red/whatever gold relative to history? I've personally never liked it. While "yellow" gold can be far from understated, it "feels" less flash to me than alloys (other than white gold). Would certainly be interested to hear, from those more knowledgeable than I, why these shifts happened. They are two of my least favorite design points in contemporary dress watches.
Good questions, but I can't answer as these days I don't follow the "watch world" enough to know. But I did see a recent video with some poorly dressed fellow talking about how the big watch trend is on the way out. He thinks that a "small" 41mm watch is perfect. I had to laugh.

As for rose gold, it has long been popular in the wealthy South American market. I think there are skin tones that look great in it. Personally, I considered it as I have a number of "dress" watches in yellow gold, white gold, and steel ... and thought I should be open to it. I have a "peaches and cream" (aka pale but with warm undertones) complexion and had been lead to believe it might work for me (in a smaller watch it could). It looks great in the photos, but there was too much of it. Once I put it on my wrist I felt as if it must be magically connected to a Tesla coil. Yes, there was an over abundance of lighting in the watch store, but it sparkled like a diamond. I don't want a diamond. I don't like to draw attention. As I walk through the world, I don't want people to look at me. I prefer to pass unseen.

TeslaCoil.jpg

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I think a lot of the push for smaller watches is an affectation among watch aficionados. I don’t think normal people really care all that much. So if you’re a brand than needs to cater to enthusiasts (Tudor, micro brands) you’re going to produce more smaller watches than a brand with a different niche (like Panerai) or a brand with major cache (Rolex/Patek).

I’m not sure where a brand like JLC fits in, but it’s not like they’re introducing smaller watches in droves.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Smaller watch trend supposed to happen 5-6 years ago. The discussion forums have been anouncing it and it had almost happened but then everyone seem to say ''oh *******'' and went back to XL, XXL watches.
I have nothing against XXL watches as they work well for Off shore or Big Bang or RM. Personally, not being an enthusiast, I would not wear even 42mm watch on my 7.25'' wrist. It is jarring and disproportionate when a watch looks like something out of Indiana Johnes movies.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I think a lot of the push for smaller watches is an affectation among watch aficionados. I don’t think normal people really care all that much.
I find the use of affectation interesting. A few years back the same could be said about the push to larger.

So much really depends upon the size of the person wearing the watch ... whether it's a dress or casual or sports watch ... and the personal style/personality of the wearer. It's probably good to have a range of sizes. But yes, some makers who are famous for big and extra big will just remain there. They have their market.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads