• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never read any of those Cussler books, although now I'm curious. Interesting that what I would imagine is a somewhat insignificant detail about a character's watch stuck with so many people enough that they bought the item themselves.

I've read several of the books Inca Gold, Sahara (different from the movie), Atlantis Found, and a few others and they are very entertaining. I can't remember which books I have read that reference the watch.

There is another book series (the name escapes me at the moment, I'd have to check through my books), where the fictional action hero wears a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570. EDIT- Scot Harvath wears and Explorer II in "The Lions of Lucerne."

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am getting myself a present , long searched for and finally found. I wanted to find one with a copper dial, but for now will scratch the itch with this one. Will switch the strap to grey or beige alligator later. Pics are of my watch from the dealer.
chopard-st-moritz-8386-pow-multiple-2.jpg

chopard-st-moritz-8386-pow-multiple-5.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I've read several of the books Inca Gold, Sahara (different from the movie), Atlantis Found, and a few others and they are very entertaining. I can't remember which books I have read that reference the watch.

There is another book series (the name escapes me at the moment, I'd have to check through my books), where the fictional action hero wears a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570.
Have you read the "Biggles" books?
It's about a pilot who flies in WW1.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting myself a present , long searched for and finally found. I wanted to find one with a copper dial, but for now will scratch the itch with this one. Will switch the strap to grey or beige alligator later. Pics are of my watch from the dealer.
View attachment 1646475
View attachment 1646476
Congrats!!! I haven't seen a St. Mortiz chronograph in many years. I tried one on with a bracelet, in their NYC boutique I think in the early 2000s. IIRC the base movement is very nice, an F.Piguet 1185 (same base movement used in the AP RO chronograph, the 1st and 2nd gen Overseas chronographs, and the 38mm Pasha Chronographs). Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots soon. Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:

Have you read the "Biggles" books?
It's about a pilot who flies in WW1.
I haven't read that one. I've read a few based on WWII such as The Runner by Christopher Reich and Hornet Flight by Ken Follet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the trailer for the new film, "House of Gucci?" Looks like Al Pacino who plays Aldo Gucci may be wearing a Breguet based on the straight lugs and the subdial placement moonphase, power reserve and date.

Sorry for the grainy photo...it was just a quick photo from my computer monitor with an iphone.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/sOsWRLh.jpg[/img]']

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing a couple of quick pictures of my new Sub 300. I think I like the 300T case better overall, but like the domed crystal and thin mid-case on this one too. It’s very wearable, even on a bracelet.

Oh, never read the books; just like the watch

CA907B88-CC5F-42B2-B746-533DF67FDD65.jpeg
745E085F-6121-41B7-BE68-6C4B480FD029.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing a couple of quick pictures of my new Sub 300. I think I like the 300T case better overall, but like the domed crystal and thin mid-case on this one too. It’s very wearable, even on a bracelet.

Oh, never read the books; just like the watch

View attachment 1646553 View attachment 1646554

Looks great! Congrats and enjoy them! :cheers: Also thanks for the side by side case comparison! I was wondering what the difference in cases would look like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads