• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chanoch

Reaction score
Stopped by Tourneau yesterday to drop off my wife's Nomos Orion -- broken mainspring (or winding mechanism), as I mentioned in an earlier post this week. My wife is in her 60s, has lived with manual wind watches all her life, and never broke a mainspring before. Tchah. Coupled with the problems I've had with my Metro and Nomos's abysmal service, I am done with them. The Orion broke one month before it turned five years old. Am very sorry I didn't buy it at Tourneau's, as the money I saved buying it from a broker on Chrono24 is now about to be lost on the repair.

To console myself, I picked up a Longines Flagship Heritage for everyday/work ... Tourneau actually gave me a price that was equal to what I would have paid on Chrono24 or Amazon and I get their five-year warranty, which sure matters a lot to me now,
given the Orion.

Wanted to watch to remember my Dad by, may he rest in peace, and this 'Heritage' watch is one he would have loved and feels 'classic'. He'd owned a Wittnauer for years (with a nasty metal 'flex' band that he loved and which as a boy fascinated me), which I guess is a cousin brand of Longines, before investing in a Rolex late in life (that after 25 years spent more time in the shop than on his wrist or, after he died, on mine ...). Had tried something else the year after he passed, but it was too heavy for my relatively thin wrist and I sold it. This Longines works for me and made the otherwise painful trip to Tourneau for the Nomos repair a good deal happier.

IMG_3596 (2).JPG

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
, and it is--to a degree. I view it more as a GMT/travel use-case watch, leaving the "chunky diver" slot open for the Doxa. Whether this is me trying to justify the Doxa is another conversation altogether. It has a GMT bezel, not a diving bezel, so that's my position there. Really, though, the Whale Shark doesn't seem out of place in most situations where you'd wear any other stainless steel GMT. With the Doxa, though, I don't see myself wearing that anywhere but the beach, boat, etc.

What is the general consensus about this issue. My personal thoughts ate that if you will not actually be using the watch while diving, perhaps the GMt is actually more useful and of course it has more than adequate WR in your case. I kind of feel like for me, a rotating bezel is a rotating bezel.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by Tourneau yesterday to drop off my wife's Nomos Orion -- broken mainspring (or winding mechanism), as I mentioned in an earlier post this week. My wife is in her 60s, has lived with manual wind watches all her life, and never broke a mainspring before. Tchah. Coupled with the problems I've had with my Metro and Nomos's abysmal service, I am done with them. The Orion broke one month before it turned five years old. Am very sorry I didn't buy it at Tourneau's, as the money I saved buying it from a broker on Chrono24 is now about to be lost on the repair.

To console myself, I picked up a Longines Flagship Heritage for everyday/work ... Tourneau actually gave me a price that was equal to what I would have paid on Chrono24 or Amazon and I get their five-year warranty, which sure matters a lot to me now,
given the Orion.

Wanted to watch to remember my Dad by, may he rest in peace, and this 'Heritage' watch is one he would have loved and feels 'classic'. He'd owned a Wittnauer for years (with a nasty metal 'flex' band that he loved and which as a boy fascinated me), which I guess is a cousin brand of Longines, before investing in a Rolex late in life (that after 25 years spent more time in the shop than on his wrist or, after he died, on mine ...). Had tried something else the year after he passed, but it was too heavy for my relatively thin wrist and I sold it. This Longines works for me and made the otherwise painful trip to Tourneau for the Nomos repair a good deal happier.

View attachment 1645547

Sorry to hear what a disaster your Nomos experience was. However, I'm glad to hear that you found something you really like and which is a nice reminder of your dad. Congrats and enjoy the new Longines! :cheers:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus about this issue. My personal thoughts ate that if you will not actually be using the watch while diving, perhaps the GMt is actually more useful and of course it has more than adequate WR in your case. I kind of feel like for me, a rotating bezel is a rotating bezel.
No idea what the general consensus is. I would actually argue the GMT bezel is less useful unless you're traveling in another time zone. A least with a typical diving bezel you can more easily time...whatever you need to time...with some degree of accuracy moreso than with a GMT bezel. I agree the Whale Shark has more than adequate WR. Again, I'll be the first to admit part of this is probably just me trying to justify another watch purchase.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea what the general consensus is. I would actually argue the GMT bezel is less useful unless you're traveling in another time zone. A least with a typical diving bezel you can more easily time...whatever you need to time...with some degree of accuracy moreso than with a GMT bezel. I agree the Whale Shark has more than adequate WR. Again, I'll be the first to admit part of this is probably just me trying to justify another watch purchase.

For me the usability of the bezel to time things is the same. I don't actually pay attention to minutes on the Sub/diving bezel. I just move the triangle on the GMT or the Sub, to the duration of time I have on a parking meter (from where the minute hand currently is), or the duration of time it will take for something to cook. I like Subs, but I generally find a GMT function more useful than greater water resistance of most diving watches.

If any of that takes away from your justification to buy another watch...then everything above is totally wrong, and please
keep us posted regarding whatever watch you decide to buy! ;):rotflmao:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but at the end of the day practicality doesn't make one a beauty contest winner. Miss Universe rarely wins the title because she has a sturdier build that allows her to use a jack hammer for road work, and because she has a plain face that doesn't distract her co-workers.
:crackup:

"The watch doesn't make me smile--actually, it kind of makes me cringe--but look at all these functions! And how easy it is to read the time!"

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was delivered on Monday. The quality and value that Halios brings is incredible, and the piece is excellent as well.
View attachment 1645470
-DL
Congratulations! The attention to detail for Halios is incredible for a sub-$1,000K watch. As good as it looks on the bracelet, I've found it's also an incredible strap watch as the spring bar holes are strategically placed a little closer to the case than normal in order to avoid too much gap when wearing a strap. I also love that blue color and how it changes from natural light to sunlight.

It's a keeper for me and hopefully for you as well. Enjoy!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:crackup:

"The watch doesn't make me smile--actually, it kind of makes me cringe--but look at all these functions! And how easy it is to read the time!"

I ask one question, and one question only: how long does this make ******** feel?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If any of that takes away from your justification to buy another watch...then everything above is totally wrong, and please
keep us posted regarding whatever watch you decide to buy! ;):rotflmao:
Very on-brand... You are this thread's #1 enabler!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. On that note, for whatever reason I've been taken with the idea of a big chunky dove watch. This wouldn't masquerade as anything other than what it is. I want it to be robust and not something you'd ever consider wearing under the sleeve of a dress shirt. Something that would look out of place pretty much anwywhere except at the beach or in the water. I'd say a real tool watch, but that term is overused and I'm afraid of being labeled a tool.

Anyway, the one I keep coming back to is the orange dial Doxa Sub 300T. I think @Dino944 has mentioned in the past he has friends who like theirs. Anyone else?

View attachment 1645417

I also still like Seiko's more classic dive watch styling, so I've thought about the King Turtle (SRPE03 or 05). Two different price points, but those are the two that I keep coming back to.

View attachment 1645416
By a strange coincidence, I have the Doxa sub 300 in orange arriving tomorrow. I also have the Synchron Military, which shares the same case as an older version of the 300T. And, also having an Oris Aquis, here is what I can share (based on the Synchron Military and my research):

- It wears much smaller than the Oris Aquis. One of the things I like best about it is the 42.5 mm cushion case with the much smaller bezel and dial (I believe the dial is approximately 28 mm in diameter). Ridiculously comfortable and masculine in appearance without looking like a hockey puck on your wrist. I really like the chunkiness of this one in the 42 mm case size.

- Do your research on the current version of the 300T. The bracelet flares out significantly, is chunkier than the 300 bracelet and has a large ratchet clasp. In researching it and reading about people's experiences with it, the bracelet is pretty universally panned and there are lots of posts about trying to find alternative bracelets that fit the 300T case, such as a 1200T bracelet or using the 300T end links with a 300 bracelet.

- The beads of rice for the 300T end links are fixed (they do not articulate) and extend significantly beyond the lugs, which increases the lug to lug width and can result in a significant gap and weird angle for the bracelet as it diverges from the end links. Again, lots of posts about people filing those down or other hacks that should not be necessary on a $2K watch.

- I've got in the back of my mind that I want an aqua marine 300T to go along with the 300 professional arriving tomorrow, but the bracelet and end link issues have given me enough pause that I've got that on the back burner for now. I may eventually get one, but, if I do, it will be knowing that I'll probably wear it on an Erika's Original or rubber strap 90% of the time.

Best of luck to you.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. On that note, for whatever reason I've been taken with the idea of a big chunky dove watch. This wouldn't masquerade as anything other than what it is. I want it to be robust and not something you'd ever consider wearing under the sleeve of a dress shirt. Something that would look out of place pretty much anwywhere except at the beach or in the water. I'd say a real tool watch, but that term is overused and I'm afraid of being labeled a tool.

Anyway, the one I keep coming back to is the orange dial Doxa Sub 300T. I think @Dino944 has mentioned in the past he has friends who like theirs. Anyone else?

View attachment 1645417

I also still like Seiko's more classic dive watch styling, so I've thought about the King Turtle (SRPE03 or 05). Two different price points, but those are the two that I keep coming back to.

View attachment 1645416
Forgot to warn you off the Turtle. I love how Turtles look in pictures, but it gets little to no wear time for me because it is all of that 45 mm case diameter and very large and heavy on the wrist. This is coming from someone with a 7 1/8 inch wrist. I moved my Turtle to the drawer of watches that I need to get off ****** and sell.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! The attention to detail for Halios is incredible for a sub-$1,000K watch. As good as it looks on the bracelet, I've found it's also an incredible strap watch as the spring bar holes are strategically placed a little closer to the case than normal in order to avoid too much gap when wearing a strap. I also love that blue color and how it changes from natural light to sunlight.

It's a keeper for me and hopefully for you as well. Enjoy!

Thank you. I am very happy with it. I agree it will do well on a strap or nylon NATO. The blue is the “right” blue if that makes any sense. Definitely a keeper and will do well alongside my SKX013.

-DL

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

given the Orion.

View attachment 1645547
That is a lovely Longines. My dad is after something similar - it will be his first decent watch purchase since his (60s) Omega Seamaster in the 80s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads