• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The "2nd date Fossil".
DSC01494.JPG

Worn with a PRL Cable knit, and Tigora Snow Camo.
(last winter)

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking when I purchased the Pelagos. I checked it out during the workday wearing an OCBD. The SA immediately commented that it likely won't fit well under a shirt cuff if that's what I was looking for.

Not quite the same look you are after but a pic anyway.

View attachment 1645422
Yeah, I like the Pelagos in theory, but... there's just something about it that doesn't quite do it for me. In the context of my previous post, I think the Pelagos is an example of something that is a little too far on the elegant end of the dive watch spectrum from what I'm after. I like the looks--don't get me wrong--but it's just not what I'm going for. I tried one on a couple of months ago, and it was fine. To be honest, I'd probably take the Seiko SRP143 over the Pelagos if it were between the two based on looks alone, but the Seiko is overpriced.

pmeis

Reaction score
Have a tiny bit of work to do in the city today, so I figured I knock that out and hit up The Windup Summer Pop Up shop (speaking of different than the normal watches we see here). Will be my first time in the city since about a week before the pandemic when I went in to do a F2F sale of my white dialed OP39 last year.

Currently on the train with my Shadow.
5C069F40-5C24-4EA4-850A-1FA4B5A7329B.jpeg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Easy to read D&G.
DSC01505.JPG

A keeper. love the font and the date. and well? All of it.
Cost me $80? all in. .

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking when I purchased the Pelagos. I checked it out during the workday wearing an OCBD. The SA immediately commented that it likely won't fit well under a shirt cuff if that's what I was looking for.

Not quite the same look you are after but a pic anyway.

View attachment 1645422
What a great pic.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, the one I keep coming back to is the orange dial Doxa Sub 300T. I think @Dino944 has mentioned in the past he has friends who like theirs. Anyone else?

View attachment 1645417

That's the classic version, which Clive Cussler describes the character in his books, Dirk Pitt, wearing. Cussler worked in dive shops in the 1960s and early 70s that that's when he encountered the watch. Supposedly, an orange dial was chosedn after tests revealed it offered the best contrast between the luminous hour markers and the dial.

One friend has owned the silver dial version, the Sub 300T Searambler for about 2-3 years now and he loves it. He also owns other watches such at an IWC Flieger Chrono, Kermit Sub, Explorer II, Tag Monaco, a vintage early 80s steel and gold GMT on jubilee bracelet that he bought new, and a few other pieces that escape me at the moment. He doesn't baby anything that he owns be it cars or watches.

Another friend picked up the yellow dial version of the Sub 300T, called the Divingstar. He got it sometime in early 2020. His collection includes several Rolex (modern two tone Rootbeer GMT, Sub, Explorer II both dial colors, DJ, a Tudor GMT), Panerais, Bvlgari Octo Finisimo 9steel blue dial and all titanium version), JLC Reverso and several Cartiers (a few Tanks and a few Santos models). He isn't quite as tough on his watches as my other friend, but he really likes his Doxa a lot.

Both have pretty sizeable watch collections, but their Doxas do seem to get plenty of wrist time. Neither have had any problems with their Doxas. I will say although the diameter is 42.5mm, it seem to wear larger because the case isn't truly round, its more of a modified tounneau shape. I don't have big wrists so it wears too large for me, but the are very cool watches. But if you are looking for a big diving watch, this could be a great choice for you.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The gifted watch. cost in? $0.
DSC01513.JPG

This is almost daily. just feels good to wear. has some weight to it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think we see enough watches here. It’s always the same dudes that squabble over whatever the ****.
Well I only have 3 watches and I post them from time to time. I don't have the funds to go buy a new watch to post every 6 months.

Right now I'm waiting on my Omega Speedmaster Snoopy 3 whenever that comes in. I'll start posting that if I ever get it.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
@NakedYoga, big chunky dive watches are great. That Doxa is classic. 20 years ago I got a yellow Breitling Superocean Pro, and although it is a great watch and you never see anyone with one on, to this day I regret not getting that orange Doxa instead.
The Turtle is also a great choice and wears smaller than its 45mm size.... I like my SRP777 so much, I bought an SRPC91 Save the Ocean for each of my sons.
Pics: my SRP777 ......and my other chunky dive watch
20190215_064947-1008x756.jpg
20210728_101243.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads