• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you share which case restorers can bring a watch back to a NOS-like state?

I like a few vintage watches, but I also want the watch to be "mine" and I think that a service and a restoration to NOS-like status would be an interesting way to hit 'reset' on a watch. Also for what it is worth, I don't intend on ever reselling any of my watches, so this would just be for me and not any sort of NOS "forgery" for re-sale

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you share which case restorers can bring a watch back to a NOS-like state?

I like a few vintage watches, but I also want the watch to be "mine" and I think that a service and a restoration to NOS-like status would be an interesting way to hit 'reset' on a watch. Also for what it is worth, I don't intend on ever reselling any of my watches, so this would just be for me and not any sort of NOS "forgery" for re-sale

If a Rolex, LAWW and Rolliworks in California are two of the best for a straight-up restoration. However, they pretty much only do Rolex and have a specific process for doing everything, with little to no hand work. That means you can get a Rolex from any vintage brought back to factory spec, but if you have any more specialized job (e.g. take out a ding on one lug but leave the rest of the watch untouched), they won’t be able to do it. Think of them as all or nothing and limited to largely machine-finished cases

For case work that requires detailed hand polishing, you’ll need one of the Italians or the firm I used in California (PM me). The best Italians include Time Lab (Milan), Il Menzerno (Rome), and Martini Gian Carlo (Parma). They do intensive, meticulous work on high-dollar Pateks. As you’ve seen from my experience with even a relatively pedestrian, modern Calatrava, Patek cases are a ***** to work on. Expect to pay in the four figures for any meaningful job.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time again, folks. Name your ideal three-watch collection, please (yes, once more, I'm considering consolidating).

George, you seem to love what you have. Short of maybe trading in towards higher end/ more expensive watches when you know that one of the issues you are going to run into on a three watch collection is getting rid of multiple watch which serve the same function, ie.chronograph.Would you be willing to trade in either your Speedy or your Daytona?

Out of curiosity, how many watches do you have? Maybe a 6 watch collection...maybe 8.

In my opinion, while times have changed, my three watch h collection would include an everyday watch, a weekend/vacation watch and a dressier watch for special occasions.
I am happy with my rail master for everyday (although I am working on a new strap waiting for my deployment clasp from Omega - over 2 months now) to send it to David lane to get a casual leather strap. At the same time I am in the market for a relatively inexpensive fun dive watch for weekends, etc. I am pretty close and hope to have a second watch by the fall to show you all. I might just stop there as my lifestyle really does not require a dressier watch. But there are many I like.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistic trio:

1. Sub

2. ALS 1815 up/down in yellow gold

3. Third one is tough because there's nothing I like as much as the two above. I'd probably use this as a rotating spot for the flavor of the month if I was to actually do this.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George, you seem to love what you have. Short of maybe trading in towards higher end/ more expensive watches when you know that one of the issues you are going to run into on a three watch collection is getting rid of multiple watch which serve the same function, ie.chronograph.Would you be willing to trade in either your Speedy or your Daytona?

Out of curiosity, how many watches do you have? Maybe a 6 watch collection...maybe 8.

In my opinion, while times have changed, my three watch h collection would include an everyday watch, a weekend/vacation watch and a dressier watch for special occasions.
I am happy with my rail master for everyday (although I am working on a new strap waiting for my deployment clasp from Omega - over 2 months now) to send it to David lane to get a casual leather strap. At the same time I am in the market for a relatively inexpensive fun dive watch for weekends, etc. I am pretty close and hope to have a second watch by the fall to show you all. I might just stop there as my lifestyle really does not require a dressier watch. But there are many I like.
I have 8, which is too much. And - yes - I love them all, but sometimes I reach for a watch in the morning, see 8 options, and think to myself: "Dude, what the ****. Too much."

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 8, which is too much. And - yes - I love them all, but sometimes I reach for a watch in the morning, see 8 options, and think to myself: "Dude, what the ****. Too much."

I found once I had more than 4, they all got a lot less wrist time. Still I love what I have and I haven't sold one in years.

Great looking watch, but is anyone else seeing the illusion of what looks like fractured (or otherwise fucked up) wrist shape, created by the trapezoid?

I could live with the illusion of a fractured wrist, the Tank Asymetrique is beautiful!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we just picking out of your collection? If so, I'd go Reverso, Rolex GMT and Daytona

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good trio.

(granted I would never stop at 3...I think 5 is as low is I would go, as I would want at least two watches on the dressier end of the spectrum: one in a yellow or rose gold and the other in a white metal...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads