• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
570 and 5296 are roughly the same price.

The Aquanaut was offered out of the sky blue. I had joked with my AD over text that it would make a great beater watch for the beach. It was a passing comment. A few weeks later he texted me back with a photo of a sealed Aquanaut and said: “Ready for the beach?” And that was that.

Anyway, says the guy with a 5022.

LOL. Good effort. Always with those moving goal posts like 9thsymph has pointed out repeatedly. A sad attempt to insult the 5026 that I have posted because it has much aesthetically in common with you 5170. So you insulted yourself.

Just buy some more ugly watches already and post soliloquies to them already.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I picked it on purpose due to its limited availability in the US (unlike say a Miata). Only if you really care about the outdoors would you think about it... over here of course there is no offroad and you can get a Jimny relatively cheaply, so they're ubiquitous in bright colours (there's also a hot pink G63 driving around near where I am). In the UK they were recently outlawed by increasingly drastic emissions regulations despite their small engine, so can only be purchased as a work truck. In Australia they're about US$22k with a very long waiting list and higher resale value used.

There is nothing on the market like it. By what I assume are Foo's criterias for a decent car, the Jimny is objectively one of the worst choices: poor acceleration, awful handling (it is a truck, technically), the aerodynamics cause some interesting wobbling at "speed" if you can reach speed that is and wind gusts scare drivers, they're noisy (think 3-4k RPM on the highway at 80kph), the finishing is of cheap plastic...

But the thing has little electronics or sophistication for 2021 and can actually go anywhere which if you're an aussie suburbs resident who likes to go a bit out of the city is perfect. There is nothing stock, from a major brand, that competes with the Jimny. What you'd be looking at instead has a V8 that can pull a tree out of the ground and 7 seats.

It's like the LC 70 series and their double 90l tanks, almost twice the G-class' 100l and not a feature most people would think about until they're doing more serious trips. These are unique designs that become "classic" - new 70 series still sell well in many places where they are needed.

Not sure about the crash rating though - thought they had issues with the head hitting the driving wheel in crash tests. Not something the typical buyer cares about, though...

The Jimny's have a cult following here. :worship2: with people lifting them on bigger tires, suspension mods, sticker in the rear windows,etc . . a common mod is to put a small shovel where the spare tire goes. They are everywhere, and driven by all types of people. from outdoors types, to office ladies.
Why are they so popular? in all generations?
in a contrast to @TheFoo 's wants in a peak city car, the Jimny is the perfect city commuter car. especially for a single occupant. they are small, the turning circle isn't trash. they are comfortable but simple inside. and they are undefeated in the snow. -also forgiving if you clip/jump a kerb. like you said, there is nothing on the market like it. (Except the JDM pajero mini) They are basically a lifted mini. And i can understand why people like them. Mrs V checked one out last year and she wants one. A Super rad all seasons commuter car.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a change from Patek discussions. Sorry to offer a non unique watch mass produced for 5k but I like it.

I read about this watch and the maker/desogner a week or so ago on another site. It's an interesting piece. Apparently each year the manufacturer produces an "anniversary" piece which goes on sale only for a 10-minute window, but everyone who orders one will get one. That salmon-ish dialed one that you posted is an example of such a piece.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My current favorite Patek model.

8_1.jpg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek 3448 Perpetual Calendar (1976, first introduced in 1962)
View attachment 1642811

Patek 5396 Annual Calendar (current production)
View attachment 1642815

Comparing the various design elements of the two:

The 3448 wins in most categories.

More elegant/interesting case with the smaller lugs and recessed crown. Also the shape of the bezel and its transition into the case is anachronistic looking by comparison to the 5396 but in a really good way. I also prefer the integration of the date windows and "PP Geneve" logo in smaller size with the Geneve connected to PP as opposed to below the date window. I am indifferent as to the shape of the markers (rectangular vs pointed on the 5396) but I like the more minimal minute track on the older watch and slightly dislike the redundancy of the gold hour markers doubling with the gold minute markers on the 5396. I also prefer the slightly more deco stylized font on the numerals on the 3448.

The only things I dislike about the 3448 are the two square hour markers at 5 and 7. Not sure the watch would look right with those omitted but I strongly prefer the way they are handled on the 5396. Additionally, I'm a little bothered by the way the 31 and 1 run into each other to make it look like 311.

I don't have a strong feeling about the date window on the 5396. At first I didn't like it, but its growing on me. I suppose its ultimately a win since you have the additional functionality of date + 24hr time.

Would be quite happy to own either watch!

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted this watch before (my late father's watch) but I recently came across the original warranty book.

DSC02336.jpg

Bit of an odd one, Omega Chronostop driver's watch purchased by my mother as a gift for my Dad a the American Embassy in Germany. Mom's father was a diplomat and working at a consulate in Germany at the time while my Dad was working in Vietnam.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jimny's have a cult following here. :worship2: with people lifting them on bigger tires, suspension mods, sticker in the rear windows,etc . . a common mod is to put a small shovel where the spare tire goes. They are everywhere, and driven by all types of people. from outdoors types, to office ladies.
Why are they so popular? in all generations?
in a contrast to @TheFoo 's wants in a peak city car, the Jimny is the perfect city commuter car. especially for a single occupant. they are small, the turning circle isn't trash. they are comfortable but simple inside. and they are undefeated in the snow. -also forgiving if you clip/jump a kerb. like you said, there is nothing on the market like it. (Except the JDM pajero mini) They are basically a lifted mini. And i can understand why people like them. Mrs V checked one out last year and she wants one. A Super rad all seasons commuter car.
Why would you want to commute in a truck? I guess you sit high up and it deals with crappy roads well but between the roll, noise, few amenities, it's a pretty awful way to spend an hour a day sitting in traffic no? And the automatic is a real dog. I guess I'm thinking of Sydney bumper to bumper commutes with the highway at 30kph. A perfect city car might be the 2 seater Smart, absolutely brilliant in London zone 1, sometimes can even be parked perpendicular. I haven't seen one in 20 years though, not sure if it's still around.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Why would you want to commute in a truck? I guess you sit high up and it deals with crappy roads well but between the roll, noise, few amenities, it's a pretty awful way to spend an hour a day sitting in traffic no? And the automatic is a real dog. I guess I'm thinking of Sydney bumper to bumper commutes with the highway at 30kph. A perfect city car might be the 2 seater Smart, absolutely brilliant in London zone 1, sometimes can even be parked perpendicular. I haven't seen one in 20 years though, not sure if it's still around.
Well. It's not so much of a truck. ( I drove a dump truck for 3 months. . .ugh)
It's uh, agricultural? would be how i'd explain it to someone. Very old school.
They are basic. but the design is good. I see so many that it can't be wrong.
People like these.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek 3448 Perpetual Calendar (1976, first introduced in 1962)
View attachment 1642811

Patek 5396 Annual Calendar (current production)
View attachment 1642815

My only issue with the 3448, is the lugs are not my favorite. However, maybe their more compact and angular appearance works better with the look of the recessed crown. To me it's dial is so much more appealing than that of the 5396.

I do prefer the lugs of the 5396, but maybe its because those are generally the lugs I prefer on a Calatrava. However the dial is a big miss for me. I suppose it's nitpicking, but anything in that price range would need to be perfect for me to pull the trigger on it. The biggest fail for me is that date cutting into the subdial. It just pisses me off. It could have been a really nice nice, but not perfect dial, if they had nixed the 24 hour indicator, and put the date on the subdial. Also it appears as though the subdial is shifted so high that even when the hands are at 10 and 2 they obscure the 24. Sure we all know it's 24, but it seems inelegant and sloppy. While on the 3448, when the hands are at 10 and 2, one can still see most of the number 31 for the date. The minute markers and hour markers are fine, but I'm really preferring the more delicate ones on the 3448. To me they vintage version looks more elegant, although, I'm sure the minute markers are easier to read at a glance on the 5396. I'm also not a fan of how they decided to have a big bolder "Patek Philippe" name at the top, but separated Geneve from it with the day and month windows. Sure, I get that its marketing to have the name be the first thing you see, especially when someone posts it on social medial. But I prefer the smaller more discreet PP with Geneve under it, and its placement on the 3448. In addition, I know some people like a seconds hand, maybe it's generally preferred, but on a watch like this I don't need it. I like the clean look of no seconds hand on a dressy piece.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about some old school Daniel Roth?

View attachment 1642994

I've never owned one, but always loved the old DR watches. Such beautiful dials and the case is so distinctive!

A friend has a watch from Daniel Roth's current company, a rose gold JDN tourbillon, which is beautiful. However, to me without that signature DR case, something is missing.

brokencycle

Reaction score
My only issue with the 3448, is the lugs are not my favorite. However, maybe their more compact and angular appearance works better with the look of the recessed crown. To me it's dial is so much more appealing than that of the 5396.

I do prefer the lugs of the 5396, but maybe its because those are generally the lugs I prefer on a Calatrava. However the dial is a big miss for me. I suppose it's nitpicking, but anything in that price range would need to be perfect for me to pull the trigger on it. The biggest fail for me is that date cutting into the subdial. It just pisses me off. It could have been a really nice nice, but not perfect dial, if they had nixed the 24 hour indicator, and put the date on the subdial. Also it appears as though the subdial is shifted so high that even when the hands are at 10 and 2 they obscure the 24. Sure we all know it's 24, but it seems inelegant and sloppy. While on the 3448, when the hands are at 10 and 2, one can still see most of the number 31 for the date. The minute markers and hour markers are fine, but I'm really preferring the more delicate ones on the 3448. To me they vintage version looks more elegant, although, I'm sure the minute markers are easier to read at a glance on the 5396. I'm also not a fan of how they decided to have a big bolder "Patek Philippe" name at the top, but separated Geneve from it with the day and month windows. Sure, I get that its marketing to have the name be the first thing you see, especially when someone posts it on social medial. But I prefer the smaller more discreet PP with Geneve under it, and its placement on the 3448. In addition, I know some people like a seconds hand, maybe it's generally preferred, but on a watch like this I don't need it. I like the clean look of no seconds hand on a dressy piece.

Without a second hand, how will I impress people with the fact that my watch is automatic and gently sweeps rather than ticks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads