• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That might be true, but that is a different angle of the rarity discussion. There are many watches that were produced in limited numbers for certain reasons other than being non-liquid. I am hunting for one right now and it keeps evading me. When I find it I will post it.
Certainly there were many things made that were rejected by mass consumer for one reason or another it has absolutely no bearing on how I choose what I like.

The point is that everything under $10K is industrially produced with little hand work. In terms of craftsmanship, the best you can expect in that price range is precise and consistent rather than anything worthy of admiration unto itself. In terms of engineering, it is difficult to match Rolex given their scale and resources. In fact, from a technical perspective, Rolex is quite singular irrespective of price.

It’s like looking for a really “unique” new car for under $50K.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this guy back from servicing.

_DSC2231.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The point is that everything under $10K is industrially produced with little hand work. In terms of craftsmanship, the best you can expect in that price range is precise and consistent rather than anything worthy of admiration unto itself. In terms of engineering, it is difficult to match Rolex given their scale and resources. In fact, from a technical perspective, Rolex is quite singular irrespective of price.

It’s like looking for a really “unique” new car for under $50K.
So any watch worth a paycheck is a thing?
And priced higher is a fraud?
well. yeah.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So any watch worth a paycheck is a thing?
And priced higher is a fraud?
well. yeah.

Not sure what you’re saying but also fairly sure I’m saying something different.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to poor shame me?
I mean that watches become more of the same as you look up.
But that is wrong. there is a plethora of watches to choose from.

No, I'm not shaming anyone. I don't understand what you mean when you said watches get blurry?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
No, I'm not shaming anyone. I don't understand what you mean when you said watches get blurry?
I mean, the value at cash point gets blurry. and many watches can seem similar value.
The value on a watch can change per dealer.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One should buy what one can afford.
One persons blurry is another’s 20/20 vision. It’s about the watch and the enjoyment one derives from it, not how much was paid.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
They say a watch is worth it's sale price.
But that is open to interpretation.

Do not overpay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads