• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bundle A gives you 2 apples for $3. Bundle B gives you 2 juicier apples for $3. Which is better value?
Depends on what type of apples I'm getting. I wouldn't care about value if the A is a breed I like while B is a ****** breed like Red Delicious or Granny Smith.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understanding the concept of Value = 8oz of water

Deeky = 6oz glass

Deeky

Reaction score
It depends. What if Bundle A's apples are a lot sweeter?

Equally sweet. We are comparing gold dress watches with gold dress watches. Not gold dress watch v SS Rolex/RO or whatever. That was the underlying premise to start with - why would you buy a gold dress JLC (Master series) that has no unique design language, as opposed to a gold Breguet Classique or ALS Saxonia. Admittedly it would probably be different if it was the iconic reverso, but was not how this argument started. It's also fine if you for some reason prefer the design of the ultra thin over the Saxonia, but the underlying argument is that the Master lacks alot of fine/high end finishing found in Breguet/ALS while being sold at a very similar price point. Hence the statement that JLC gold dress watches are not really value for money in comparison to its peers

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the most boring conversation ever...who cares what someone else thinks about value? If you want to debate the watches then please have at it. But if you're just going to be a pedant, please go away with that.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1624626791655.png
    1624626791655.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 48

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Value is the result of supply/demand dynamics. Queasy-intellectual philosophical masturbations do not need to apply.
Then stop doing it, you’re making me queasy.

And you’re wrong, but as I’ve said before appear to be deliberately contrarian and antagonistic so I won’t bother to engage.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Andy! Interesting to see both side by side. After decades of associating the Explorer with all steel, I have to admit it looks really good as a two tone watch. I like the yellow gold hands and trim around the hour markers against the black dial. I have a quick question, and it could be the the lighting, or the fact that the the background is tan, and the winding crown on the two tone model is yellow gold, anyway my question is whether the the crown on the new two tone model is larger/wider than the crown on your 214270? Again congrats and enjoy it!!!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy! Interesting to see both side by side. After decades of associating the Explorer with all steel, I have to admit it looks really good as a two tone watch. I like the yellow gold hands and trim around the hour markers against the black dial. I have a quick question, and it could be the the lighting, or the fact that the the background is tan, and the winding crown on the two tone model is yellow gold, anyway my question is whether the the crown on the new two tone model is larger/wider than the crown on your 214270? Again congrats and enjoy it!!!

Agree, I'm a big fan of the 2 tone version.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with both posts above. Having seen the renderings from Rolex and the images on their site and not been at all sure it looks really nice in real life pictures rather than studio ones. I think the 36mm makes for a more coherent looking watch than the 39mm, but they are both lovely.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question, and it could be the the lighting, or the fact that the the background is tan, and the winding crown on the two tone model is yellow gold, anyway my question is whether the the crown on the new two tone model is larger/wider than the crown on your 214270? Again congrats and enjoy it!!!
Now that you mention it, I see what you are seeing, too. I'll check the crowns later this morning.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You’re confusing price with value — supply and demand dynamics determine the prices of things, not their value. And given we were talking about two watches that are the same price (one hand finished and one not), how can supply and demand dynamics possibly tell you their difference in value?
Price is one of many objective manifestations of value.
How can scarcity of skills or cost of production that create bottleneck of supply could forecast final value of things? Is that really what you are asking?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"is that item a good value?"

"What is the value of that item?"

Same word, not the same concept. This isn't that hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics