• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deeky

Reaction score
I never knew I would have to explain the merits of hand finishing over machine finishing in an enthusiast forum, but this thread has been full of surprises

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew I would have to explain the merits of hand finishing over machine finishing in an enthusiast forum, but this thread has been full of surprises
You have COMPLETELY missed the point, but of course...

Deeky

Reaction score
It seems to me that you are the one who has completely missed the simple point I was making all this while, which is that when 2 watches are sold at a very similar price point, and one has hand finishing/haute horology touches and the other doesnt, then the former is better value.

That's it. There is no subjectivity in this. A person may of course still choose the latter for whatever reason (brand loyalty etc), but the value proposition of the former is always objectively better (unless there is a difference in resale value, but JLC does not have better resale than Breguet or ALS).

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that you are the one who has completely missed the simple point I was making all this while, which is that when 2 watches are sold at a very similar price point, and one has hand finishing/haute horology touches and the other doesnt, then the former is better value.

That's it. There is no subjectivity in this. A person may of course still choose the latter for whatever reason (brand loyalty etc), but the value proposition of the former is always objectively better (unless there is a difference in resale value, but JLC does not have better resale than Breguet or ALS).

Yep. Got it. Big misunderstanding. You make perfect sense re positioning your values as THE values. I’ve now adopted your perspective (my perspectives were “wrong”. They were based on OTHER values [**** THAT], which I must obviously reject so that the commissioner of VALUE recognizes and gives meaning to my “choices” from now on...). Enjoying my newly-found objective value! Cheers, man! Thanks 1m!

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not worried about watches. I do worry about the broader social implications of the rhetorical tactics on display here. Just kind of sad...

‘Twas ever thus though. Value, which is always going to be subjective, depends on how one measures it. Honestly none of the watches mentioned in this thread are good value in the eyes of the ordinary man in the street.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
'Value is subjective' is a non-argument. It is not a position or intellectual conclusion. It is what sophomore 'intellectualz' say to excuse theirs or others poor taste and propose that all opinions have equal validity.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Value is subjective' is a non-argument. It is not a position or intellectual conclusion. It is what sophomore 'intellectualz' say to excuse theirs or others poor taste and propose that all opinions have equal validity.

better to say value is vague.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right, so presumably you have a higher degree of understanding of epistemology than a sophomore philosophy student. Graduate level perhaps? Or PhD? And yet you don’t seem to be familiar with the fundamental distinction between values and facts:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Value is the result of supply/demand dynamics. Queasy-intellectual philosophical masturbations do not need to apply.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re confusing price with value — supply and demand dynamics determine the prices of things, not their value. And given we were talking about two watches that are the same price (one hand finished and one not), how can supply and demand dynamics possibly tell you their difference in value?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread be like:

The seagulls are screaming "value is subjective!" "there is no such thing!" and many on the ship are thinking about getting closer and telling it like it is to the volatiles but the wise chose is the leftermost ship who's heading to the discussion of guilloche mishaps and the pitfalls of QC under Richemont stewardship

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re confusing price with value — supply and demand dynamics determine the prices of things, not their value. And given we were talking about two watches that are the same price (one hand finished and one not), how can supply and demand dynamics possibly tell you their difference in value?

Exactly.

I cannot believe how many folks still don’t understand this. Value is not price. Value is not objective.

I tried a few post back to simply point out that some might just be misusing the word, or conflating it’s meaning.

The responses to that suggestion proved the point, but apparently the point still evades some.

Any broader point about how language and logic are being misused is met with “but how can you argue the value of hand-finishing...” or some other nonsense. I’m not arguing about ANY of these watch details. I’m saying some of you mfs need to visit a dictionary!

Last edited:

Deeky

Reaction score
Bundle A gives you 2 apples for $3. Bundle B gives you 2 juicier apples for $3. Which is better value?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads