• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is absolutely gorgeous.

0983CB6C-6F6A-4A7B-842C-B46C486EDAD8.jpeg

Deeky

Reaction score
If two watches are the same (or very close price), and one has hand finishing and the other does not, the one with hand finishing is better value.

This is not subjective, and should be completely obvious. But then again, after the last few pages I wouldn't be surprised if someone now jumps out in favour of machine over hand finishing

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If two watches are the same (or very close price), and one has hand finishing and the other does not, the one with hand finishing is better value.

This is not subjective, and should be completely obvious. But then again, after the last few pages I wouldn't be surprised if someone now jumps out in favour of machine over hand finishing

Are both gold at the same price?

Deeky

Reaction score
A big issue on this thread seems to revolve around (semantic?) conflations of the term “value”. Whenever I hear someone mention the term “value“ on this thread, I regularly feel that what follows are a collection of specific biases relative to price, but unfortunately too often articulated as some sort of regulated, mutually agreed upon set of metrics relative to price...******* yawn. Can we stop with this ****? It’s completely circular since there are no mutually agreed upon biases relative to price. Also, there aren’t even agreed upon functions for ANY type of watch (no matter the intended design function or marketing), thus price becomes a fairly relative/situational metric (see grey market Rolex...). This is some cultural relativism 101...

It would seem to me that the folks who talk most about value propositions might be trying to convince themselves. The loudest “value” shouters are likely the most insecure with their own decisions/calculations. Fine. All the “research” (after a certain point?) as “education” simply ends up being a way of repurposing/explaining away various mental disorders? (Jk!)

(nk)
Are both gold at the same price?

Might be :)

Deeky

Reaction score
Most brands have probably used JLC movements at some point. But it doesn't usually mean that brand literally took a JLC movement and planted it in their own case and left it at that - often they were improved on worked on.

Furthermore looking at these two movements (in Breguet's entry level classique and JLC's entry level Master ultra thin in gold), I would say the Breguet is far better finished - the price difference between is only about 2.5-3k

View attachment 1629350

View attachment 1629351
Could you elaborate?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“...and one has hand finishing and the other does not, the one with hand finishing is better value.

This is not subjective“

JFC! Read this a few times if you need to and try to figure out why it is, in fact, absolutely subjective (hint: the word value simply begs the question).

Do better.

Deeky

Reaction score
As I said mere minutes ago, I wouldn't be surprised if someone now comes up to defend machine finishing as being better or more valuable than hand finishing, and here we are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads