• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always favored black dials on Daytonas unless one is talking about an old manual wind Daytonas ref 6263 or 6265. Then I like them almost equally. All the automatic models I prefer with black dials. Wishing you luck with whatever version you choose.

Here is my 1994 black dial gold Daytona for some inspiration.

This **** *****. HARD.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if it's anything like your shoe-shopping habit, you buy and sell multiple pairs a year, then... :devil:

Unless you've either got a huge budget, eclectic tastes, or don't mind duplication, I really don't know what you'd buy after you've been purchasing at this rate for two or three years. There's just not that many watches out there that interest me - plus, of course, there's the need to make sure they're all wound and actually get worn from time to time.
Not quite sure I understand your comment. I buy what I like and keep stuff for as long as I like. No other explanation, really.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any wrist shots from farther away? I'm interested to see how it looks in 'real life' rather than marketing photos. I put my name down for an all-steel the day after these were announced.
Best I can do for now, until I take some vacuous Instagram brand-whoring shots while wearing it.
IMG_1306.jpeg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Did you consider the all-steel? If so, what made you choose the two-tone instead?
No, I did not consider the all-steel version. I have a steel Explorer (an early 214270) and I didn't want another one. I simply liked the look of the two-tone model.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I did not consider the all-steel version. I have a steel Explorer (an early 214270) and I didn't want another one. I simply liked the look of the two-tone model.

Congrats on the two tone Explorer! :cheers: Looks great! Hope to see a side by side photo of your new two tone Explorer with your 214270 when you get a chance.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple, smallish, time only, with 100m wr on a comfy nylon strap. It's a really nice summer wear even if it lacks the kind of color splash that one might typically associate with the season.

want this. Nomos Tangente Date Power Reserve is my next watch in 35mm.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big issue on this thread seems to revolve around (semantic?) conflations of the term “value”. Whenever I hear someone mention the term “value“ on this thread, I regularly feel that what follows are a collection of specific biases relative to price, but unfortunately too often articulated as some sort of regulated, mutually agreed upon set of metrics relative to price...******* yawn. Can we stop with this ****? It’s completely circular since there are no mutually agreed upon biases relative to price. Also, there aren’t even agreed upon functions for ANY type of watch (no matter the intended design function or marketing), thus price becomes a fairly relative/situational metric (see grey market Rolex...). This is some cultural relativism 101...

It would seem to me that the folks who talk most about value propositions might be trying to convince themselves. The loudest “value” shouters are likely the most insecure with their own decisions/calculations. Fine. All the “research” (after a certain point?) as “education” simply ends up being a way of repurposing/explaining away various mental disorders? (Jk!)

(nk)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big issue on this thread seems to revolve around (semantic?) conflations of the term “value”. Whenever I hear someone mention the term “value“ on this thread, I regularly feel that what follows are a collection of specific biases relative to price, but unfortunately too often articulated as some sort of regulated, mutually agreed upon set of metrics relative to price...******* yawn. Can we stop with this ****? It’s completely circular since there are no mutually agreed upon biases relative to price. Also, there aren’t even agreed upon functions for ANY type of watch (no matter the intended design function or marketing), thus price becomes a fairly relative/situational metric (see grey market Rolex...). This is some cultural relativism 101...

It would seem to me that the folks who talk most about value propositions might be trying to convince themselves. The loudest “value” shouters are likely the most insecure with their own decisions/calculations. Fine. All the “research” (after a certain point?) as “education” simply ends up being a way of repurposing/explaining away various mental disorders? (Jk!)

(nk)

You'd probably sleep better if you just accepted that everything anyone says here is just an opinion. Even the people who say it's a "fact" know it's an opinion. Just relax, look at pictures of watches, and don't worry so much.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd probably sleep better if you just accepted that everything anyone says here is just an opinion. Even the people who say it's a "fact" know it's an opinion. Just relax, look at pictures of watches, and don't worry so much.

Not worried about watches. I do worry about the broader social implications of the rhetorical tactics on display here. Just kind of sad...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads