• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy - that is absolutely horrific. There is a reason why I buy directly from the brand in brand-owned boutiques. Sure, I lose the discount of ADs, but I don't have to deal with the headaches you just outlined.

There are a handful of actual JLC boutiques in the States. Not sure where they all are — I just know mine on Madison Ave in NY. Went onto the JLC site to see if I could find the store you went to (so I could ensure they never get a cent from me) and there are several possibilities, so will just blacklist all three. Looks like the closest actual JLC boutique to you is in Beverly Hills.

It's reasons like this that I understand why brands are starting to cut wholesale entirely.

there’s one in Las Vegas too. I believe in Caesar’s though I could be wrong.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy a watch every four months. Lately, I haven’t really adhered to that. I try never to sell anything unless and until I’ve had my fair share of time with a piece and I’m “over it.”

So if it's anything like your shoe-shopping habit, you buy and sell multiple pairs a year, then... :devil:

Unless you've either got a huge budget, eclectic tastes, or don't mind duplication, I really don't know what you'd buy after you've been purchasing at this rate for two or three years. There's just not that many watches out there that interest me - plus, of course, there's the need to make sure they're all wound and actually get worn from time to time.

First of all, I am such proud dada. Upon entering the store, my 5-year-old daughter pointed at the Patek and Rolex signs and exclaimed: “They have Patek watches and also Rolex! Let’s look at Patek first!”

I really, really hope that this post is Foo's attempt at a joke...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now, this:
View attachment 1629541
View attachment 1629542

Rolex Explorer reference 124273. Arrived today from Fourtané in Carmel. How can I put this? It's very, very nice.
Any wrist shots from farther away? I'm interested to see how it looks in 'real life' rather than marketing photos. I put my name down for an all-steel the day after these were announced.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, the Sub has advantages over a JLC (or a Patek for that matter), as it is designed for a different use. For example, the movements are purposefully built to be thicker and more robust in order to be more durable. They are two different watches that are designed to emphasize different functions and qualities.

So, does the same logic track that Rolex precious metal sport watches also are a bad value proposition? At 40K MSRP for a white gold submariner you could snag a number of nicer, better finished, more complicated Pateks, Langes, and probably even a number of the low end FP Journes

I would imagine the tendency of gold and platinum to scratch and ding negate the durability aspect , and it is not really suited to the design purpose

Personally, I think the concept precious metal sports watch is a bit of an oxymoron and only really has its place in a "look at my **** you money" context

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one were to get a gold Daytona, which is the one to get and why? I was initially attracted to the champagne dial but that black dial is really forcing me to reconsider. Despite the photos, I’m going gold oyster bracelet. Non ceramic (gold) bezels are an option of course but I’m ruling that out for durability concerns.

View attachment 1629509

View attachment 1629508

I've always favored black dials on Daytonas unless one is talking about an old manual wind Daytonas ref 6263 or 6265. Then I like them almost equally. All the automatic models I prefer with black dials. Wishing you luck with whatever version you choose.

Here is my 1994 black dial gold Daytona for some inspiration.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, does the same logic track that Rolex precious metal sport watches also are a bad value proposition? At 40K MSRP for a white gold submariner you could snag a number of nicer, better finished, more complicated Pateks, Langes, and probably even a number of the low end FP Journes

Personally, I think the concept precious metal sports watch is a bit of an oxymoron and only really has its place in a "look at my **** you money" context

Value is in a sense depends on what you want and your intended use. I have a gold Daytona that I can wear to go target shooting, or on my friend's boat. It can withstand whatever I can dish out, it can get wet, and I can wear it all day long no worries about it...while I wouldn't wear a complicated Patek, Lange, or FPJ for anything more than a day at the office or dinner out. Also back in the day when this version was new, FPJ's were were very problematic...artistic and beautiful, but there were lots of stories all over various watch forums about problems with them, terrible service, and insane repair costs.

As for the "F*ck you money" concept...and the "F*ck you watches" people mention here, there was never talk or consideration about that when these were new. It seems that's a more recent concept. My watch merely completed a part of a collection of watches I owned, steel Daytona with black dial and white dial, steel and gold Daytona, white gold Daytona, and a YG Daytona. There was no RG version in the 90's. I wear white metal sports watches most of the week, so its a nice change to have some color. As for it being a display of wealth, these days so is basically anything from Rolex, PP, AP, Journe or other watches from brands with hard to buy models. If you like it and can afford it, who cares.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would imagine the tendency of gold and platinum to scratch and ding negate the durability aspect , and it is not really suited to the design purpose

This is still missing a fundamental point that I have been repeating: a sport watch and a dress watch are different types of watches. Like trucks versus sports cars.

A gold Rolex may run $35-40K, but it was designed for a different function versus a similar priced dress watch from Patek. One is not “better” or “worse” than the other. In contrast, a similar Patek is pretty plainly superior to a similar JLC—they are the same type of watch but designed and built to different standards.

Also, if you really want to be as apples-to-apples as possible, you’d have to compare that gold Rolex to a gold Patek on a bracelet (like the 5711 1R). That Patek is $60K at retail. Even then, it does not have the water resistance, functionality, or durability of the Sub.

The real argument in JLC’s favor is that some folks just want to heap on the complications, irrespective of refinement. This is a relatively rare breed of collector, however, as most would rather have finer movements, finer cases, finer finishing, etc.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always favored black dials on Daytonas unless one is talking about an old manual wind Daytonas ref 6263 or 6265. Then I like them almost equally. All the automatic models I prefer with black dials. Wishing you luck with whatever version you choose.

Here is my 1994 black dial gold Daytona for some inspiration.

As someone with no real interest in neither chronos nor gold watches (and with a healthy dislike of ceramic bezels), if you do want to combine the two, this is the absolute best way to do it. A friend of mine has one of these and I was quite surprised by how awesome it is in the flesh :satisfied:

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone with no real interest in neither chronos nor gold watches (and with a healthy dislike of ceramic bezels), if you do want to combine the two, this is the absolute best way to do it. A friend of mine has one of these and I was quite surprised by how awesome it is in the flesh :satisfied:

I like the look of both black and champagne dials and indeed black and gold bezels but I am pretty worried about a gold bezel picking up dings and scratches. The ceramic seems like a safer bet for the long haul in this regard. @Dino944 Yours looks to have held up well though!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, here is a question:

Do you take a Patek 6119 or a JLC Master Control Chrono Calendar in gold?

Do you take a Patek 5196 or a JLC Master Control Calendar in gold?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is still missing a fundamental point that I have been repeating: a sport watch and a dress watch are different types of watches. Like trucks versus sports cars.

I think we're on different parts of the same page - personally I like my tool watches to be tool watches, and dress watches to be dress watches and I don't see the point of mixing the two, which I think is how I view a white gold submariner.

I'm not a car guy, so forgive me if this is too far off the mark, but the cars/trucks analogy I think a white gold sub is akin to a pick up truck with Porsche-level trim/detailing...what's the point if you're just going to be hauling logs and climbing in and out of it with your muddy boots

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, here is a question:

I would definitely take either Patek over the JLC. I'd also take a Lange Saxonia or VC Patrimony or Brequet Classique. I admit though, I'm a much bigger fan of simple dials. The complications in the Master Control Calendar don't move the needle for me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, here is a question:

Patek in both cases, easily. Ask me 15 years ago and I may have answered differently.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of both black and champagne dials and indeed black and gold bezels but I am pretty worried about a gold bezel picking up dings and scratches. The ceramic seems like a safer bet for the long haul in this regard. @Dino944 Yours looks to have held up well though!

I wear all of my watches, but I'm pretty careful with them, so the bezels on them still look quite good. I'm sure the ceramic is safer bet if one is particularly tough on their watches.

Deeky

Reaction score
Even after so many pages on the topic, it seems that people still deliberately (or worse, unknowingly) make false comparisons between Rolexes and dress Journe/Pateks etc when the (simple) point is that gold dress JLCs are terrible value for money when compared against what you can get for the same amount of money (i.e other dress watches)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads