• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys you’re not following the logic. Start following the logic. The logic is whatever foo calls the logic. That’s how logic works. Always been this way...
Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best both worlds is owning something from Porsche and Ferrari. A lot of Ferrari owners also own a Porsche or have owned Porsches. The difference being the current/recent 911 Turbo S is so easy to drive your grandmother can drive it, it does everything perfectly, but is far less engaging to drive. It wouldn't even be on my radar. I'd rather have a 930 Turbo, a 964 Turbo 3.6 or a 993 Turbo S than a modern Turbo S or a recent Porsche GT model. As for the current 911 Turbo S, meh...the new 992 Turbo S is blubbery and not very attractive. Anyway, my point was there are other products/companies where people have to buy other products or have customer history to get something particularly sought after (that is true of Porsche also). Foo is a rarity getting a GT3RS allocation without having a prior Porsche purchase history or paying significantly over MSRP . Anyway, I'll gladly own something from Porsche and Ferrari.
The only issue I have with Fiats or Ferrari same **** is that they cant be driven as a daily. They are too much to maintain and yes they can’t run next to a 911. I have driven the new 911 and yes it is no longer hydraulic steering yet it drove and responded like a 911 does. I do agree with you that the older cars are more authentic but look at the current automobile trend where the politicians and auto manufacturers have decided electric is the future.

Ferraris I have driven 308, 328, 355, 512 TR and 458 I’m sorry they are not for me. As compared to the Porsche models you’ve mentioned they are junk.

Enough car talk wrong threat for it. Let’s get back to the unattainable Rolex, Patek chat ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RSS

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one were to get a gold Daytona, which is the one to get and why? I was initially attracted to the champagne dial but that black dial is really forcing me to reconsider. Despite the photos, I’m going gold oyster bracelet. Non ceramic (gold) bezels are an option of course but I’m ruling that out for durability concerns.

A111BFD2-2F39-4CC4-81F2-8DEE036B7AE8.jpeg

B0297D1C-ABA1-49BB-BE44-054714FE9429.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of champagne dials for YG watches more than black dials with YG.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedmaster is a phenomenal watch and even more phenomenal when considering the relatively low price, but one only need handle it side-by-side with a Submariner to immediately tell that the latter is much more substantial and expensive feeling.

those being purpose designed and built watches, do you think the construction and materials have anything to do with the difference vis a vie the substantial feeling?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walked past Wempe today on my way to the dentist and Cellini on my way back. Seems like everyone is out buying watches today!

Wow sucks about the Zenith. Good luck if you go the JLC route.

Unfortunately, there is always risk that a new watch will need regulation/adjustment. Even more unfortunately, service across Richemont and LVMH is fairly uniformly bad.

I've actually had great service from JLC. Cannot speak to other Richemont brands. Since JLC introduced the 8 year warranty, I've noticed an uptick from good to great care and attention to clients.

JLC ebauches were once common amongst most of the top tier makers. But those makers heavily reworked and finished those movements. JLC has never tried to compete at that level.

As a JLC owner and fan, here's my perspective.

JLC is terrific at the low to middle end and at the ultra high end. It's the middle where we can quibble about value, aesthetics, etc. I honestly believe it comes down to a reference by reference head to head.

For example, I like the Master Ultra Thin Small Seconds in gold. No way in hell I'm buying it over a Saxonia, which is almost the same price.

I love this. And if I get adopted into the Bezos household, I'd buy this instantly.

1061407.png.crop.1000.high.png

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually had great service from JLC. Cannot speak to other Richemont brands. Since JLC introduced the 8 year warranty, I've noticed an uptick from good to great care and attention to clients.
I'm not sure of the context here, but a JLC boutique just opened up (well, opened up sometime during the pandemic) here in San Jose. I've wanted to get a navy blue alligator strap on a deployant buckle for my Reverso for some time. I went into the store a couple of months ago and asked about obtaining one. It seems that the strap and the buckle would have to be ordered separately and they couldn't figure out the price for me at that moment, for reasons that were not clear. So, they took my name and number and promised to call me with the details. No call ever came.

So I went back into the store a couple of weeks ago and went through the same process. This time, I wore my Reverso and also brought along my Master Ultra Thin which has the type of strap and buckle I want, for a visual reference. After a great deal of peering at computer screens and thumbing through catalogs, they quoted me $450 for the buckle and an unknown amount for the strap, but perhaps around $600 dollars. They would be happy to take my deposit for $1000 and settle any difference when the strap and buckle came in, in two to three months. Oh, and they wanted to charge me $35 for JLC to ship the strap and buckle to the boutique. Not to my house, mind you, to their own boutique. They wanted me to pay for them to ship their product to their store.

I did not feel that was a smart way to treat a customer who is a multiple owner (and my wife also was wearing her Reverso) and is thus likely to buy again. They finally agreed to waive the shipping fee. But by then it was too late. The next day I did a little online searching and found a JLC buckle and a JLC strap for less than $100 for both. Sure, they are probably knock-offs, but at this point I don't care.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now, this:
IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

Rolex Explorer reference 124273. Arrived today from Fourtané in Carmel. How can I put this? It's very, very nice.

lexmann

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the context here, but a JLC boutique just opened up (well, opened up sometime during the pandemic) here in San Jose. I've wanted to get a navy blue alligator strap on a deployant buckle for my Reverso for some time. I went into the store a couple of months ago and asked about obtaining one. It seems that the strap and the buckle would have to be ordered separately and they couldn't figure out the price for me at that moment, for reasons that were not clear. So, they took my name and number and promised to call me with the details. No call ever came.

So I went back into the store a couple of weeks ago and went through the same process. This time, I wore my Reverso and also brought along my Master Ultra Thin which has the type of strap and buckle I want, for a visual reference. After a great deal of peering at computer screens and thumbing through catalogs, they quoted me $450 for the buckle and an unknown amount for the strap, but perhaps around $600 dollars. They would be happy to take my deposit for $1000 and settle any difference when the strap and buckle came in, in two to three months. Oh, and they wanted to charge me $35 for JLC to ship the strap and buckle to the boutique. Not to my house, mind you, to their own boutique. They wanted me to pay for them to ship their product to their store.

I did not feel that was a smart way to treat a customer who is a multiple owner (and my wife also was wearing her Reverso) and is thus likely to buy again. They finally agreed to waive the shipping fee. But by then it was too late. The next day I did a little online searching and found a JLC buckle and a JLC strap for less than $100 for both. Sure, they are probably knock-offs, but at this point I don't care.
I believe JLC boutiques are all AD's like Rolex?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure. The one in San Jose is actually part of a larger store featuring several other Richemont brands.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love a nice leather strap but they disintegrate quickly in humid climates. I can’t wear a leather strap for 4-5 months a year. So it’s nice to have a bracelet for a dress watch. For the guy who was asking about the new rose gold Tank LC on bracelet, I say go for it. Totally worth it and a baller watch.

6F946A34-C7E1-4404-B447-72FE701E5BDF.jpeg

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andy - that is absolutely horrific. There is a reason why I buy directly from the brand in brand-owned boutiques. Sure, I lose the discount of ADs, but I don't have to deal with the headaches you just outlined.

There are a handful of actual JLC boutiques in the States. Not sure where they all are — I just know mine on Madison Ave in NY. Went onto the JLC site to see if I could find the store you went to (so I could ensure they never get a cent from me) and there are several possibilities, so will just blacklist all three. Looks like the closest actual JLC boutique to you is in Beverly Hills.

It's reasons like this that I understand why brands are starting to cut wholesale entirely.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there should NOT be any shipping charges if you pickup at the boutique... after all they get regular shipments from the warehouse located in the US.

The SS buckle probably only cost at best $50 to make and the strap is at best $100 so they're making healthy margins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads