• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are just confused thinking any car with Porsche shield = Fast car and give way.
Probably, they certainly do when I’m on a motorbike.

re. the JLC, I think that range look stunning in gold, but the value point is valid - they are twice as expensive.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to say, I kinda like this. Especially with the bronze bracelet too. Always felt like the 43mm size was just a bit too bulky.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly different look today on a Nato. Already ordered a deployment clasp from Omega and when that comes in will be sending to David Lane to set on a mid brown leather. Probably a whiskey Butero which I think should be the goldilocks happy medium as I find the bracelet too formal and the Nato too casual.
20210623_065511.jpg

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word is people that drive Porsche are major tools.
I was under the impression that people that make their own money drive Porsche’s. I understand all of this demand and supply bull crap with producing less cars/ watches etc to hike demand but I have driven and worked on many of these automobiles. Fiats are not for me. 911 Turbo S or GT trim will outperform anything that is made in Italy. Then again you already knew that! ?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this watch recently. It is a fantastic value. My only gripe is the lone numeral at 12 o’clock, but if that doesn’t bother you, there’s not much else to complain about.

That said, it’s not unusual for a watch to need regulation and losing eight seconds a day is hardly egregious. In fact, if it’s consistently losing eight seconds, the watch is very precise! Much harder to be precise than randomly accurate.

JLC watches in gold make no sense. The value proposition is completely wiped out.
You make no sense. What the **** is “value,” anyway. Why would a rose gold JLC be any less “valuable” than its steel counterpart? I like rose and yellow gold because it’s heavier and looks cool. I don’t care about what the secondary market says. I don’t care about how much I’ll lose if I ever decide to part with a piece. I don’t care about anything other than what I “value”: do I like this better in rose or yellow gold? If the answer is affirmative, then I buy.

If I cared about “value,” at least the way you’re defining it, I’d never buy anything other than stainless Rolex and Patek. I don’t do that.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this watch recently. It is a fantastic value. My only gripe is the lone numeral at 12 o’clock, but if that doesn’t bother you, there’s not much else to complain about.

That said, it’s not unusual for a watch to need regulation and losing eight seconds a day is hardly egregious. In fact, if it’s consistently losing eight seconds, the watch is very precise! Much harder to be precise than randomly accurate.

JLC watches in gold make no sense. The value proposition is completely wiped out.
What…..the…..****….are you talking about? A JLC reverso in Y/RG is not worth it’s own value?

You got some ‘xplaining to do….

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make no sense. What the **** is “value,” anyway. Why would a rose gold JLC be any less “valuable” than its steel counterpart? I like rose and yellow gold because it’s heavier and looks cool. I don’t care about what the secondary market says. I don’t care about how much I’ll lose if I ever decide to part with a piece. I don’t care about anything other than what I “value”: do I like this better in rose or yellow gold? If the answer is affirmative, then I buy.

If I cared about “value,” at least the way you’re defining it, I’d never buy anything other than stainless Rolex and Patek. I don’t do that.

I won't speak for foo, but from my perspective, JLC's steel watches are very competetive in their price range (i.e., their high on the list of watches I would consider in the under $10k bracket).

But when you get to their prices for the gold versions, you start bumping up against watches that are, in my opinion, higher tier. If I'm going to spend $25 - $30k on a watch, it's probably not going to be a JLC.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do I not make sense or do you not follow?

JLC movements are not nearly as refined as the like from Lange, Patek, VC, etc. With some exception, they are very workmanlike and intended to deliver the most function/complication for the dollar by relying on machine finishing and movement design more focused on ease of manufacture and servicing than fineness of design or structure.

Once you double the price of a JLC watch by opting for a precious metal case, it overlaps with watches from manufactures doing much finer, higher quality work. Thus, the value proposition becomes less clear. You may still be getting more complications for the dollar, but the watch then considerably lags behind similar-priced watches from better makers along many important vectors.

I wasn’t speaking to value retention.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What…..the…..****….are you talking about? A JLC reverso in Y/RG is not worth it’s own value?

You got some ‘xplaining to do….

No. You need to look closer at what you’re paying for.

$15-20K for a completely machine-finished gold Reverso with a pedestrian, workmanlike movement is silly when you are within spitting distance of entry-level watches from makers like Lange, Breguet, VC, etc., that simply operate at a much higher level.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I not make sense or do you not follow?

JLC movements are not nearly as refined as the like from Lange, Patek, VC, etc. With some exception, they are very workmanlike and intended to deliver the most function/complication for the dollar by relying on machine finishing and movement design more focused on ease of manufacture and servicing than fineness of design or structure.

Once you double the price of a JLC watch by opting for a precious metal case, it overlaps with watches from manufactures doing much finer, higher quality work. Thus, the value proposition becomes less clear. You may be getting more complications for the dollar still, but the watch then considerably lags behind similar-priced watches along many other important vectors.

I wasn’t speaking to value retention.
Jesus ******* Christ, thus guy. Look, I would draw it for you, if I could. Here's what I mean:

Me seeing the JLC master calendar chrono in steel: "Oh, nice."
Me seeing the same watch but in rose gold: "OOOOOOH **** ME NEEDS NOW!"

That's value for me. Period. Value = I love it. **** other brands. **** other less "pedestrian" watches. **** the less finished "workmanlike" movements.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jesus ******* Christ, thus guy. Look, I would draw it for you, if I could. Here's what I mean:

Me seeing the JLC master calendar chrono in steel: "Oh, nice."
Me seeing the same watch but in rose gold: "OOOOOOH **** ME NEEDS NOW!"

That's value for me. Period. Value = I love it. **** other brands. **** other less "pedestrian" watches. **** the less finished "workmanlike" movements.

Explains a lot about your watches.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately the Zenith wasn't even consistent in its time loss. The first day I measured it it lost a more reasonable 4 seconds, then the next day it was 6 and finally got to 8. If it was at least consistent I assume it may have been a less involved process of regulation as opposed to what may have required an adjustment/service and I've only heard horror stories of LVMH's US service department (and this probably wouldn't have been helped by the watch being a new release with a new movement) so I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Definitely agree on the JLC's value proposition. Even at MSRP you're getting a fair bit of watch for the coin but additional discounts on JLC aren't usually hard to come by so that combined with the fact that I'm buying it out of state (and therefore have no sales tax either) makes it pretty hard to pass up for the price.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Zenith wasn't even consistent in its time loss. The first day I measured it it lost a more reasonable 4 seconds, then the next day it was 6 and finally got to 8. If it was at least consistent I assume it may have been a less involved process of regulation as opposed to what may have required an adjustment/service and I've only heard horror stories of LVMH's US service department (and this probably wouldn't have been helped by the watch being a new release with a new movement) so I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Definitely agree on the JLC's value proposition. Even at MSRP you're getting a fair bit of watch for the coin but additional discounts on JLC aren't usually hard to come by so that combined with the fact that I'm buying it out of state (and therefore have no sales tax either) makes it pretty hard to pass up for the price.

Wow sucks about the Zenith. Good luck if you go the JLC route.

Unfortunately, there is always risk that a new watch will need regulation/adjustment. Even more unfortunately, service across Richemont and LVMH is fairly uniformly bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads