• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably because that watch is huge and ugly. Will look super dated when fashion changes.
It's 40mm for a chrono, not sure I'd call it huge but I can see the plain factor playing into it

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 40mm for a chrono, not sure I'd call it huge but I can see the plain factor playing into it

Yeah.. 40mm should be sweet spot for a chrono. It looks more like 42mm though to my eye.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is uninspired dial design. I have seen and owned Big Date Chrono watches with this layout and they look kind of boring and cheap.
Does not look cheap once you look. It's actually what drew my gaze - the precision, the proportions, the careful complexity of the dial, the playful contrast of textures. I couldn't read the logo, it was that small. Took me a few times to spot the cross.

In a certain sense it is a good candidate for the values often advertised but less often displayed here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think people just buy random ferraris or a **** ton of hermes towels but maybe I am wrong. The good thing about watches is you can at least buy and build purchase history, wear them and then sell. doesn't work with most hermes goods and maybe only with a few Ferraris or similar luxury goods

Actually, with Ferraris at least in the US in the last 15+ years, they wouldn't sell you a new one unless, you already owned a Ferrari. If you didn't you had to purchase one or more of their pre-owned Ferraris or a less desirable model like a 612 or California which had small back seats. Then they would let you order a new car. Hermes, from what I hear in some countries they won't take people's names for a wait list for Birkins or Kelly bags. A friend's neighbor works for Hermes and since Covid and the requirement that you make an appointment before showing up, people are buying more than ever when they get there because they may not be able to get an appointment if they decide to think about something, and it could be sold by the time they get back. So their dedicated buyers are buying more than ever, which also gets them the ability to buy the hard to get items when they arrive.

Tank LC on leather is $13K retail. With the rose gold bracelet it's $28K. Is it weird to have the bracelet cost more than the watch itself? Sort of feel it becomes more of a piece of jewelry that just happens to tell the time. Maybe that's not a bad thing from a woman's point of view?

Not really surprised. Personally, I think the Tank LC is very reasonably priced. The MSRP of mine back in 2008 was $12,500 (although mine came on a deployant). It was then replaced by a bigger extra flat model, which had bad proportions, lacked any guilloche work on the dial, wasn't very popular, and was about $16-17K when they stopped making it. Then Cartier did the unthinkable and had some price reductions on gold watches and jewelry. Check out the price of gold dress watches from other companies. As mentioned, I consider it a great value. They will be going on at least in the US on June 30th, I believe 5% on watches, and 6% on jewelry.

As for the gold bracelet, I've seen it and tried it one, and between the weight, the workmanship and the price of gold, I'm not really surprised by the cost of the bracelet. Remember the Love bracelet and Juste un Clou bracelets which are not as complicated to make and use I believe far less gold, are $6,550 to $7,600 (depending on bracelet and yg/rg vs. wg).

Can someone help me understand why this VC Overseas 49140 doesn't get more love? The pre-owned prices on these are very reasonable
View attachment 1628709

Well interest in them has been revived and prices are about what the were when new or a little more. When new, you could buy them all day long for 35% off MSRP. They used the same base movement, the F.Piguet 1185, which was also in the 38mm Cartier Pasha Chronograph for about $5,000 less, although finished to their standards and with a gold rotor. Some didn't love the bracelet, which had a tendency for links to get jammed up and stuck together when you took it off. In addition VC really struggled to find an identity with a sports watch, and they kept jumping from design to design. AP had the RO, PP had the Nautilus, but in roughly the same period, VC had the 222, then the ugly 333, then equally ugly Phidias, then the Overseas, then a completely new Overseas, then the next generation of Overseas. Personally, I like this 1st generation Overseas far more than the second generation Overseas. I think its more understated without the Maltese Cross influenced bracelet, and the dial is much nicer looking and IMHO its a more interesting design.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my employees had a friend that was able to buy a brand new Ferrari without prior purchase history. He had to put down like $50k deposit and wait 4 or 5 years to get an allocation. The guy was obviously rich as ****. The car got wrecked when some kid crashed into his home garage and took out part of the car.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is uninspired dial design. I have seen and owned Big Date Chrono watches with this layout and they look kind of boring and cheap.

For me the Big Date is the main failure in terms of design. It seemed like every company in the mid 2000s had to have a big date, and it really did nothing for most designs. I like the smooth finished dial of the 1st generation Overseas far more than the diamond textured dial of the second generation models, plus other unfortunate features such as big ugly hour markers, big ugly hands, different subdial hands on the seconds subdial, and unnecessary writing in the seconds subdial. With the current model VC has gone back and cleaned up the dial with a smooth finish, slimmer more attractive hour markers and hands, symmetric sized subdials, using the same hands on all subdials, eliminated unnecessary writing on the subdial, and gotten rid of the big date.

2nd Gen.
1624372332430.png

3rd gen

1624372381396.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my employees had a friend that was able to buy a brand new Ferrari without prior purchase history. He had to put down like $50k deposit and wait 4 or 5 years to get an allocation. The guy was obviously rich as ****. The car got wrecked when some kid crashed into his home garage and took out part of the car.

I have one friend who did the same thing. He got on the waiting list back in 2000, but he didn't get his car until 2006. It took so long to get his car that the 360 he ordered went out of production and he got an early 430. Again that's 15 years ago, plus I think he paid over sticker.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That 3rd gen overseas is marginally better, but it still looks like a basic ETA chrono layout with unnecessary date window. Lazy design.
BTW, is it an angle of the last picture or bottom hourmarkes are half the length of the top ones? Why?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what a bummer. that must have sucked

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 3rd gen overseas is marginally better, but it still looks like a basic ETA chrono layout with unnecessary date window. Lazy design.
BTW, is it an angle of the last picture or bottom hourmarkes are half the length of the top ones? Why?

No it appears you are correct the markers at 1 and 11 are much longer than the ones at the bottom. I guess they chopped the ones at the bottom to fit the subdials. Not sure why they didn't just make the ones at the top shorter also to match the ones at the bottom?

1624377583076.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it appears you are correct the markers at 1 and 11 are much longer than the ones at the bottom. I guess they chopped the ones at the bottom to fit the subdials. Not sure why they didn't just make the ones at the top shorter also to match the ones at the bottom?

View attachment 1628810
Wow, the blue dial really elevates that watch in my eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads