• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dad bought a Seiko Seahorse when they were sponsors for the Tokyo Olympics. I think it originally came on a bracelet but I remember him wearing it on a military ribbon strap Zulu style then later a Speidel expandable bracelet. The Zulu had black and yellow stripes. I think he was impressed with the automatic movement and alleged water proofing.
When I got my first Timex I was intrigued by how his didn’t seem to have a crown (it was recessed) and it blew my young mind that he didn’t have to wind his up at bed time like I did!
He later moved up to a series of quartz watches and the Seiko was unworn in his drawer. My brother has it now and says it still works but I cautioned him not to use it as nearly sixty years of erosion will mean there’ll be a lot of metal on metal grinding. He’s casting about for a watch maker to overhaul it but I think his best bet is the Seiko service Center if one exists in England. It could do with some TLC like in that video.

1624194806125.jpeg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
You could contact Seiko directly and try your luck.
I do know a watch store that still sells those and repairs them. well, it was a few years ago. They would treat it right. probably not cheap though.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could contact Seiko directly and try your luck.
I do know a watch store that still sells those and repairs them. well, it was a few years ago. They would treat it right. probably not cheap though.
Yeah I think this is good advice. Getting my brother to move is like launching the Queen Mary but I’m ever hopeful he’ll get round to it. He does have a passing interest in watches - more than your average bloke but not to the level displayed on here! - and I think he realizes that regardless of value it’s a great family heirloom. Looking at pictures of my Dad today, it appears it was first on a brown fake croc strap. That’s him on the right, me next to him!
1624195989568.jpeg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah I think this is good advice. Getting my brother to move is like launching the Queen Mary but I’m ever hopeful he’ll get round to it. He does have a passing interest in watches - more than your average bloke but not to the level displayed on here! - and I think he realizes that regardless of value it’s a great family heirloom. Looking at pictures of my Dad today, it appears it was first on a brown fake croc strap. That’s him on the right, me next to him!
View attachment 1627641
Beautiful.your old man looks like a numbers man. not a gambler.

He looks ready to race.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also adore the new green Reverso. Am hearing that demand for it is through the roof, which I guess means that others also love the green.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Father’s Day to everyone here. That’s all. That’s the post.
Same to you and all the other fathers. My son opened my gifts for me this morning and then declared he was going to watch cartoons all day because "it's Boys Day!"

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rush to the Aquanaut is absurd to me.

Throughout the vast majority of its history, it was a black sheep. I remember deep, deep discounts from ADs pretty recently, and cases full. I’ve never minded the Aquanaut, but never had any desire (and have zero desire now) to own one.

In short, most Aquanaut owners are posers who can’t get a Nautilus and just want a steel Patek because that’s what you are supposed to have.

I mean, how many years did the Nautilus or Daytona (especially the now revered Newmans) sit unsold in display cases? Tastes change all the time and especially with the recent trends towards more casual attire and the relatively recent green and blue colorways I can see how the Aquanaut could be more desirable now than it used to be.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, how many years did the Nautilus or Daytona (especially the now revered Newmans) sit unsold in display cases? Tastes change all the time and especially with the recent trends towards more casual attire and the relatively recent green and blue colorways I can see how the Aquanaut could be more desirable now than it used to be.
Also happened with a lot of other watches like the AP RO and LE Speedmasters. They both only got really popular in late 2017 when the watch craze started taking off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads