• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was some kind of patina. Made me cringe when I saw what happened ... case, bracelet, crystal ... lots of damage. The wall out front is stone.

Good news it that almost anything is fixable. Laser welding works miracles.

Reactions: RSS

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also wtf the price of 3940s....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The guy sounds like a moron.
That was our assessment. We will do our best to avoid him at future alumni events. At smaller events as this one was, I'll go so far as to ask if he will be there ... and excuse myself if he will be.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With most of us now vaccinated, my other half and I were invited to join an informal alumni group at Cook | Weaver in Seattle. Some of us were standing out front awaiting our table when the last of our group arrived. It quickly became known that even at his young age he is a "higher up" at one of the local tech companies. Wonderful ... especially if he gives accordingly to the university. Almost right away Mr. Techie began to share his new watch ... which I imagine would please even a few of our most demanding watch "aficionados". I've heard it talked about on these very pages. Let us call it the Super-Duper Fireball XL5 ... just for fun. Assuming his "boss" assists, I imagine he can get just about anything he wants.

It WAS a nice watch.

I noticed that Mr. Techie had a habit of swinging his arms about which has always struck me as dangerous for those into watches. That proved to be true that night as on his way inside he allowed his arm to scrape against the wall and some serious damage was done to his watch. Made my dog chewed watch from a month or so back look like nothing happened ... btw, all fixed now ... but I digress. Even those who hadn't witnessed what happened quickly new about it as he was ranting and raving about how he'd just ruined his X-dollar watch. I thought about just walking out -- in my world we don't act this way -- but I decided to stay ... it was an alumni event. The first comment or two I kind of understood ... but it just went on and on. It continued even after our being seated. Finally one of us said "I'm sorry you have damaged your watch, but could you postpone and worry about it later. There are others here." He did not stop. Finally the restaurant asked us to leave.

I somehow got stuck next to him as we were departing and I thought he was going to kill me when I said that perhaps he could not afford the watch emotionally if he reacted this way to its being damaged. Wrong thing to say! Geezus, I was called every name in the book.

Oh well, my participation in that group is over.

You got a funny story to share with the forum.

Meanwhile I ruined my Super-Duper Fireball XL5.

Luckily, I am tight with the manufacturer and I am already planning on my Super-Duper Fireball XL7. Only normies and plebs will get the 6.

Also, why didn't you say hi? Always like a forum meetup. Nice to be with somewhat likeminded individuals.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was our assessment. We will do our best to avoid him at future alumni events. At smaller events as this one was, I'll go so far as to ask if he will be there ... and excuse myself if he will be.
Or ask him if he got his Super Duper Fireball XL5 fixed yet?

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a chrono for a bit and decided to jump on the new Zenith. I know there's been a lot of talk comparing it to the Daytona, but other than the ceramic bezel (which have started to become fairly common outside of the big crown) the rest of the watch feels like a Zenith to me and having handled a few Daytonas there are things I like more about both watches. Still need to get the bracelet sized.

View attachment 1625993
Nice. I tried on the previous version (without the ceramic bezel) last weekend on vacation. I think the 38mm case is a better fit for me although I like the bezel on the new one. Really liked it and am considering reaching out to see what kind of price I can negotiate.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that things are really picking up - restaurants, bars, etc - I’m spotting many more watches in my neighborhood than in previous years. Certainly a far cry from conclusive scientific evidence, but it at least appears as though folks really did get into watches this past year...?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that things are really picking up - restaurants, bars, etc - I’m spotting many more watches in my neighborhood than in previous years. Certainly a far cry from conclusive scientific evidence, but it at least appears as though folks really did get into watches this past year...?
Gotta spend those stimmy checks on something; why not watches?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads