• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just heard back from my Cartier AD. The ADLC bezel Santos is a 2 month wait at this point, so no luck getting in before the price change...

Oh well, gives me plenty of time to get my stuff figured out.

I think with the popularity of the dark dial models, the boutiques are getting preference and/or more of them than ADs. I was at an AD 2 weeks ago. No blue dial, no ADLC Santos models. Just the white dials.

PS. I did confirm with my SA, the price increase is June 30th.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daytona looks pedestrian compare to that, and it has a much more interesting movement.

How long did you have to wait for the call?

It's funny. I called around to the closest ADs and they all told me I'd have to wait for a few months but were happy to register my interest and let me know when one came in. I randomly checked Zenith's website one morning and it just happened to be in stock (they appear to be oos again now). I'm pretty sure I previously signed up for the "notify me" option on their website but never received a notification when stock was added.

I've read of a few people getting discounts from international ADs when it first launched but since most dealers haven't been able to keep it in stock I don't think discounts are common as of late. I know discounts on other Zeniths are relatively common so maybe at some point after the initial interest has died down.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few months is better than previous ETA of 1 year when it was initially launched.

I think Zenith & their ADs know they have a hit and are unlikely to discount this model.

It's the "You can't get a Daytona but you can get this now at MSRP".

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few months is better than previous ETA of 1 year when it was initially launched.

I think Zenith & their ADs know they have a hit and are unlikely to discount this model.

It's the "You can't get a Daytona but you can get this now at MSRP".

Agreed and honestly I'm glad. Zenith has been kind of flying under the radar for a while churning out great watches and the el primero is kind of the granddaddy of automatic chrono movements so I'm glad to see them starting to get some traction with this new model. Seems crazy to me they've been selling their watches at steep discounts for so long given how many brands out there with far lesser pedigrees are usually sold at sticker

pmeis

Reaction score
I think with the popularity of the dark dial models, the boutiques are getting preference and/or more of them than ADs. I was at an AD 2 weeks ago. No blue dial, no ADLC Santos models. Just the white dials.

PS. I did confirm with my SA, the price increase is June 30th.

My SA confirmed the price increase as well (obviously). I'm happy to wait for my AD though, even with the price increase, I'll still get 10% albeit at a slightly higher price. Plus the SA is a friend who I've kicked the tires on a bunch of stuff with, but never ended up buying anything from, so it will be great to finally give him some business. Also means I don't have to rush to free up any resources.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With most of us now vaccinated, my other half and I were invited to join an informal alumni group at Cook | Weaver in Seattle. Some of us were standing out front awaiting our table when the last of our group arrived. It quickly became known that even at his young age he is a "higher up" at one of the local tech companies. Wonderful ... especially if he gives accordingly to the university. Almost right away Mr. Techie began to share his new watch ... which I imagine would please even a few of our most demanding watch "aficionados". I've heard it talked about on these very pages. Let us call it the Super-Duper Fireball XL5 ... just for fun. Assuming his "boss" assists, I imagine he can get just about anything he wants.

It WAS a nice watch.

I noticed that Mr. Techie had a habit of swinging his arms about which has always struck me as dangerous for those into watches. That proved to be true that night as on his way inside he allowed his arm to scrape against the wall and some serious damage was done to his watch. Made my dog chewed watch from a month or so back look like nothing happened ... btw, all fixed now ... but I digress. Even those who hadn't witnessed what happened quickly new about it as he was ranting and raving about how he'd just ruined his X-dollar watch. I thought about just walking out -- in my world we don't act this way -- but I decided to stay ... it was an alumni event. The first comment or two I kind of understood ... but it just went on and on. It continued even after our being seated. Finally one of us said "I'm sorry you have damaged your watch, but could you postpone and worry about it later. There are others here." He did not stop. Finally the restaurant asked us to leave.

I somehow got stuck next to him as we were departing and I thought he was going to kill me when I said that perhaps he could not afford the watch emotionally if he reacted this way to its being damaged. Wrong thing to say! Geezus, I was called every name in the book.

Oh well, my participation in that group is over.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With most of us now vaccinated, my other half and I were invited to join an informal alumni group at Cook | Weaver in Seattle. Some of us were standing out front awaiting our table when the last of our group arrived. It quickly became known that even at his young age he is a "higher up" at one of the local tech companies. Wonderful ... especially if he gives accordingly to the university. Almost right away Mr. Techie began to share his new watch ... which I imagine would please even a few of our most demanding watch "aficionados". I've heard it talked about on these very pages. It WAS a nice watch.

I noticed that Mr Techie had a habit of swinging his arms about which has always struck me as dangerous for those into watches. That proved to be true that night as on his way inside he allowed his arm to scrape against the wall and some serious damage was done to his watch. Made my dog chewed watch from a month or so back look like nothing happened ... but I digress. Even those who hadn't witnessed what happened quickly new about it as he was ranting and raving about how he'd just ruined his X-dollar watch. I thought about just walking out, but decided to stay. The first comment or two I kind of understood ... but it just went on and on. It continued even after our being seated. Finally one of us said "I'm sorry you have damaged your watch, but could you postpone and worry about it later. There are other here." He did not stop. Finally the restaurant asked us to leave.

I somehow gut stuck next to him as we were departing and I thought he was going to kill me when I said that perhaps he could not afford the watch emotionally if he reacted this way to its being damaged. Wrong thing to say! Geezus, I was called every name in the book.

Well... what was the watch?!?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
With most of us now vaccinated, my other half and I were invited to join an informal alumni group at Cook | Weaver in Seattle. Some of us were standing out front awaiting our table when the last of our group arrived. It quickly became known that even at his young age he is a "higher up" at one of the local tech companies. Wonderful ... especially if he gives accordingly to the university. Almost right away Mr. Techie began to share his new watch ... which I imagine would please even a few of our most demanding watch "aficionados". I've heard it talked about on these very pages. It WAS a nice watch. Assuming his "boss" assists, I imagine he can get just about anything he wants.

I noticed that Mr. Techie had a habit of swinging his arms about which has always struck me as dangerous for those into watches. That proved to be true that night as on his way inside he allowed his arm to scrape against the wall and some serious damage was done to his watch. Made my dog chewed watch from a month or so back look like nothing happened ... btw, all fixed now ... but I digress. Even those who hadn't witnessed what happened quickly new about it as he was ranting and raving about how he'd just ruined his X-dollar watch. I thought about just walking out -- in my world we don't act this way -- but I decided to stay ... it was an alumni event. The first comment or two I kind of understood ... but it just went on and on. It continued even after our being seated. Finally one of us said "I'm sorry you have damaged your watch, but could you postpone and worry about it later. There are others here." He did not stop. Finally the restaurant asked us to leave.

I somehow gut stuck next to him as we were departing and I thought he was going to kill me when I said that perhaps he could not afford the watch emotionally if he reacted this way to its being damaged. Wrong thing to say! Geezus, I was called every name in the book.

I smashed the face of my Swatch stopping an elevator door from closing on someone six years ago. Best thing that happened to it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let us call it the Super-Duper Fireball XL5 ... just for fun. It's now a heavily damaged Nautilus.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let us call it the Super-Duper Fireball XL5 ... just for fun. It's now a heavily damaged Nautilus.

Those are a pain to fix, too—even for Patek itself. Extremely complex and challenging case geometry. In comparison, the Royal Oak is all flat planes.

Apparently, Aquanaut cases are even more difficult.

Reactions: RSS

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have mentioned that the damage is merely "patina" that will be highly desired by collectors 30 years from now.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should have mentioned that the damage is merely "patina" that will be highly desired by collectors 30 years from now.
That was some kind of patina. Made me cringe when I saw what happened ... case, bracelet, crystal ... lots of damage. The wall out front is stone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads