• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many undesirable porsches did you purchase before your GT3?

None, but I am an anomaly. Almost everyone else I know had prior purchases (usually prior GT cars) under their belt or paid a hefty mark-up over MSRP.

I tried like a dozen or so dealers who all wanted a $30-50k premium given my lack of history. Finally I dropped into Manhattan Motorcars, my local dealer, on a lark. I had a friendly chat with the sales associate who then had me sit down to “interview” with the manager. At the end of the conversation, they promised me a GT3 near the end of the production run.

The Birkin thing is a bit weird. I have a relative who has a few Birkins but doesn't have a lot of spend at Hermes otherwise. Vast majority of her spend is on very desirable Birkins and she has turned down more than she's accepted. She feels honored to be able to purchase the bags but I do sometimes wonder whether the exclusivity is overblown and just used as an excuse to increase desirability. She's not an influencer or anything public facing either. Also not particularly wealthy, just someone who really likes Birkins.

In a similar vein, judging heuristically by what I'm seeing online, it appears that Rolex has amped up sports watch production. Lots of people showing their new explorers, GMTs, etc. I suppose it's possible it's just a higher percentage of people sharing what they have, but I suspect they opened the floodgates a bit this year.

I'm not in the market either way so it's just academic for me, but wondering if it's just my perception or not.

Rolex is super-secretive about production numbers, but they don’t really have good reason to artificially hold back supply. It’s not like Audemars and the RO or Patek and the Nautilus, where those specific steel sports models are dilutive to long-term brand equity. The Rolex sport models currently in demand are Rolex. Everything I’ve read and heard suggests they are making as many watches as they can to satisfy demand, but they also have to be careful about over-investing to align with a short-term trend.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2500 caliber 42mm Planet Ocean is nice but they discontinued that size back in like 2010 or 2011. Current Seamaster 300m Pro Diver on rubber strap is also very nice.
752FC77F-C93E-4894-8DA7-129D4C2CEB61.jpeg

2500d bought new what was the last piece left at local AD back in 2011

an draoi

Reaction score
I have been on the “list” for a Hermes Kelly for six years. Last time I dropped by, they suggested building a “relationship” by showing “commitment” to the brand through purchases of handbags already in stock.

There is no list.
In the 6-12 months immediately pre-pandemic I was offered several Birkins/Kellys by an Hérmes boutique here in London, the first within a few months of popping in and registering my interest. No previous purchasing history. Turned them all down for one reason or another (wrong size, colour, hardware). All a very normal experience, by which I mean I told them what I was looking for and they did their best to help me.

Contrast that, though, with the charade in the Faubourg St Honoré mothership. which is far closer to your experience.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a similar vein, judging heuristically by what I'm seeing online, it appears that Rolex has amped up sports watch production. Lots of people showing their new explorers, GMTs, etc. I suppose it's possible it's just a higher percentage of people sharing what they have, but I suspect they opened the floodgates a bit this year.

I'm not in the market either way so it's just academic for me, but wondering if it's just my perception or not.
Well there was a pandemic so a lot of places stopped production for significant portions of 2020.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he saying that the ladies of the night in Costa Rica are significantly busier / more energetic than those from elsewhere?

Asking for a friend, of course!
I too would like to know this answer. Because my friend is also asking.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is he saying that the ladies of the night in Costa Rica are significantly busier / more energetic than those from elsewhere?

Asking for a friend, of course!

Have you ever seen videos of a Walmart opening on Black Friday? Sometimes the lowest prices attract the biggest crowds...

I want to know what happens the other six nights of the week.

If they're as busy as George says, then they're probably resting.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2500 caliber 42mm Planet Ocean is nice but they discontinued that size back in like 2010 or 2011. Current Seamaster 300m Pro Diver on rubber strap is also very nice.
They’re alll meh to me except for the PO with diamond bezel from the late 2000’s. Just my opinion though….

pmeis

Reaction score
Just heard back from my Cartier AD. The ADLC bezel Santos is a 2 month wait at this point, so no luck getting in before the price change...

Oh well, gives me plenty of time to get my stuff figured out.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a chrono for a bit and decided to jump on the new Zenith. I know there's been a lot of talk comparing it to the Daytona, but other than the ceramic bezel (which have started to become fairly common outside of the big crown) the rest of the watch feels like a Zenith to me and having handled a few Daytonas there are things I like more about both watches. Still need to get the bracelet sized.

BC9B8DE4-7427-456B-9E7A-932605ED874B.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a chrono for a bit and decided to jump on the new Zenith. I know there's been a lot of talk comparing it to the Daytona, but other than the ceramic bezel (which have started to become fairly common outside of the big crown) the rest of the watch feels like a Zenith to me and having handled a few Daytonas there are things I like more about both watches. Still need to get the bracelet sized.

View attachment 1625993
I like it especially the minimal overlap of the sub dials. I don't care for the Zenith models where there is a significant amount of overlap

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1625993

Daytona looks pedestrian compare to that, and it has a much more interesting movement.

How long did you have to wait for the call?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads