• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have there been any historical precedents of consumers forced to buy **** they don't want in order to be rewarded with an opportunity to spend even more money on some other ****? I am afraid this is unique situation of consumptia hysterica.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have there been any historical precedents of consumers forced to buy **** they don't want in order to be rewarded with an opportunity to spend even more money on some other ****? I am afraid this is unique situation of consumptia hysterica.
Hermes Birkin and Kelly bags
New Ferrari cars

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money certainly helps but you do have history with the AD since you bought one watch. If I tried to walk in with no history, I'd expect no traction.
Well at least I’m (allegedly) on a list somewhere even if being on said list is next to worthless. I called another dealer around the same time and was told by some snooty voiced woman that they wouldn’t even consider selling a Pepsi to someone who wasn’t an established customer. I suppose there’s some merit in their honesty!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been on the “list” for a Hermes Kelly for six years. Last time I dropped by, they suggested building a “relationship” by showing “commitment” to the brand through purchases of handbags already in stock.

There is no list.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The contemporary art market at the high end works like this, only even worse. Money alone is not enough to buy access, because gallerists want to place works of hot artists with the "right" collectors. Fortunately, I will never have enough money for this to be an issue.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to like every Omega that isn't a Speedmaster iteration but am struggling..........who else feels the same?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well at least I’m (allegedly) on a list somewhere even if being on said list is next to worthless. I called another dealer around the same time and was told by some snooty voiced woman that they wouldn’t even consider selling a Pepsi to someone who wasn’t an established customer. I suppose there’s some merit in their honesty!

Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that it almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I want to like every Omega that isn't a Speedmaster iteration but am struggling..........who else feels the same?

It’s the only Omega I like. The rest smack of 90’s mall watch.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that is almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.
Yeah like I said I’m resigned to the situation and not getting anxious about it. Maybe I walk into the shop one day and he just needs to meet his monthly quota that day. Or maybe there’s some sort of unforeseen sea change in the watch world. Or maybe Rolex will stop ******* about and increase production. I would guess if it’s all about them making money they would make more money if they sold more watches rather than squeezing off production to falsely create demand but this has been discussed on here ad nauseum and I’m still not clear on their motives.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that it almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.

I think location plays into it as well major city/small AD. Also just being in general a good dude and not some giant douche.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2500 caliber 42mm Planet Ocean is nice but they discontinued that size back in like 2010 or 2011. Current Seamaster 300m Pro Diver on rubber strap is also very nice.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porsche GT cars also.
How many undesirable porsches did you purchase before your GT3?

I have been on the “list” for a Hermes Kelly for six years. Last time I dropped by, they suggested building a “relationship” by showing “commitment” to the brand through purchases of handbags already in stock.

There is no list.

The Birkin thing is a bit weird. I have a relative who has a few Birkins but doesn't have a lot of spend at Hermes otherwise. Vast majority of her spend is on very desirable Birkins and she has turned down more than she's accepted. She feels honored to be able to purchase the bags but I do sometimes wonder whether the exclusivity is overblown and just used as an excuse to increase desirability. She's not an influencer or anything public facing either. Also not particularly wealthy, just someone who really likes Birkins.

In a similar vein, judging heuristically by what I'm seeing online, it appears that Rolex has amped up sports watch production. Lots of people showing their new explorers, GMTs, etc. I suppose it's possible it's just a higher percentage of people sharing what they have, but I suspect they opened the floodgates a bit this year.

I'm not in the market either way so it's just academic for me, but wondering if it's just my perception or not.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think location plays into it as well major city/small AD. Also just being in general a good dude and not some giant douche.

Yes, be nice and friendly, obviously. But that is not enough.

Smaller dealers in smaller cities get fewer allocations too. Plus, they have all been flooded by buyers calling in from big cities. Most are either playing the relationship game and giving preference to locals.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah like I said I’m resigned to the situation and not getting anxious about it. Maybe I walk into the shop one day and he just needs to meet his monthly quota that day. Or maybe there’s some sort of unforeseen sea change in the watch world. Or maybe Rolex will stop ******* about and increase production. I would guess if it’s all about them making money they would make more money if they sold more watches rather than squeezing off production to falsely create demand but this has been discussed on here ad nauseum and I’m still not clear on their motives.

Hopefully the fad will go away and sanity will return. However, don’t hold your breadth for production to go up. They are already maxed out. Not so simple just to make more watches or even shift between models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads