• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full- douche mode: ACTIVATED.
8163A644-BAEB-46ED-B5C2-904B9FE31354.jpeg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the appeal of Roger Smith’s watches to me? The finish work looks to be a solid step down from comparably priced watches like Dufour, Gauthier, etc. Nothing too interesting on the complication front either? Obviously I’m missing something though.
From a perhaps, less collector oriented, more grand public POV: it's tough to say truly what is the "best" but statistically speaking, Daniels is to watches what Beethoven or Bach are to music. He did everything himself, innovated, wrote "the book" etc. but I think he also had a prodigious eye for classical design, his watches are "peak British" in their eccentric restraint, an echo of the Empire on the tail of its fall, a form of refusal to live in the present and its decadence and lack of linearity.

Then he turned down Smith for years until his persistence (and presumably, advancing years) convinced him to take him on as an apprentice. Both Smith and Daniels subscribe to keeping things clean to let perfection shine through instead of covering it up. I happen to really like their finishing, preferring it to the continental style. There's something unique and instantly identifiable to a Daniels or Smith movement.

Smith's work is quite different in design, I think because he belongs to a newer era, a newer Britain. Downton Abbey is the marketing copy but the real thing is closer to a cross of Whitnail and I and Black Mirror with a Muscovite dash for flavour. In that sense Smith has modernised Daniels and is not competing with Breguet, but he's also lost I think that eccentric refinement that makes Daniels watches achieve records at auction and appear in exhibitions, and is a bit more internationally appealing. It's not, or less, what people expect from "the English". People think Isle of Man and imagine cream teas in flowered orchards, grazing sheep and a bit of iodine wind but they also like to go around their public roads at 200kph+ on two wheels.

But... it's still guaranteed 100% Smith. You've seen Foo's reaction to Ferrier's outsourcing. Smith has a super slow rate of production, you're guaranteed a product that represents that ethos of luxury as a relationship between an artisan and a customer, rather than the American mass market industrial version. You're guaranteed only precious metals, and a lot of care. You will get something with a solidity of look that avoids the pitfalls of overly ornate decoration without irony, perhaps better suited to the other gender. You get a lineage that is not going to be replicated or continued in the same way, even if Smith takes on apprentices now. It's not "an industry" and it won't become one and the type of customer that likes this seems to be reliable looking at the market.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bit like ikebana. You could say that many flowers, as many as you can stuff in the vase, beats one flower, and that is one dimension, and many people prefer that. But there's also many people who prefer just one, in the right vase, on their alcove with the scroll, and they must be doing something right given the prices and full bookings of Japanese ryokans who still practice it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you prefer the regular AT over this new one?
Yes. I still prefer the older version AT with the date at 3 vs the newer version with the date at 6. Given the option of the center seconds 6 o'clock date window vs small seconds, I'd prefer the center seconds.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the 3 watch collection front, these seem to be available, in gold, within my budget and are my favourite so far.

D6206816-B9BF-4C0F-9C0F-EBEBC985DA40.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full- douche mode: ACTIVATED.
View attachment 1625418
**** man! This month makes three years on the waiting list ... no it’s not called that any more it’s a “registration of interest” ... and I don’t know if I’m any nearer to getting my hands on one of these. It was predicted to be eighteen months to two years. A quick look at eBay for a view on grey market pricing and they seem to be going up ever higher.
Still looking good.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** man! This month makes three years on the waiting list ... no it’s not called that any more it’s a “registration of interest” ... and I don’t know if I’m any nearer to getting my hands on one of these. It was predicted to be eighteen months to two years. A quick look at eBay for a view on grey market pricing and they seem to be going up ever higher.
Still looking good.
Seriously? That sucks, man. Sorry to hear that. Stay patient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads