• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Called Cartier yesterday to setup an appointment for this morning. Tried on several watches but only grabbed pictures of these 2. The SA said that a gold deployant normally runs $1500 with an additional $400 for a strap. The SS deployant was about $400 (I think).

View attachment 1625062 View attachment 1625063
I love the Santos (want one, along with 5 other watches right now) but I feel like the gold case doesn't work here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Called Cartier yesterday to setup an appointment for this morning. Tried on several watches but only grabbed pictures of these 2. The SA said that a gold deployant normally runs $1500 with an additional $400 for a strap. The SS deployant was about $400 (I think).

View attachment 1625062 View attachment 1625063

The strap and deployant she rounded up a bit, but its close enough. I just picked up an additional stainless deployant from Cartier and it was $362. When I looked at the cost of an alligator strap a few weeks ago it was $380.

I love the Cintree, but I don't love the brown numerals on the yellow gold version. I think my favorite of the current gold models is the rose with the black/gray dial.
1623804464152.png

Although, I wish they used Romans or Arabic numerals all around, as on this piece unique...

1623803968109.png

The current Santos Dumont is nice. The dial with elongated numerals is like very early dials on the watch, but it just doesn't speak to me.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this Cartier love is pushing me over the line of finally getting the Mrs a Tank LC. Her birthday is coming up and she just signed a new employment contract that should keep me in fine wine and douchemobiles for the foreseeable future. The Palo Alto boutique apparently has one in stock.

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 6.24.33 PM.png

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the appeal of Roger Smith’s watches to me? The finish work looks to be a solid step down from comparably priced watches like Dufour, Gauthier, etc. Nothing too interesting on the complication front either? Obviously I’m missing something though.

Imagine it's because it's the closest most people will ever get to a George Daniels watch. Share your feelings of ambivalence.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The strap and deployant she rounded up a bit, but its close enough. I just picked up an additional stainless deployant from Cartier and it was $362. When I looked at the cost of an alligator strap a few weeks ago it was $380.

I love the Cintree, but I don't love the brown numerals on the yellow gold version. I think my favorite of the current gold models is the rose with the black/gray dial. View attachment 1625128

Although, I wish they used Romans or Arabic numerals all around, as on this piece unique...

View attachment 1625122

The current Santos Dumont is nice. I the dial with elongated numerals is like very early dials on the watch, but it just doesn't speak to me.
I’ve never been a fan of the RG and black Cintrée. I’ve always preferred the YG champagne dial.

I like the Santos Dumont and I’m glad I can pull off the XL size. I’m not too big a fan of the RG version though. I also tried on the Tank LC and those are really nice in the classic L size. Hopefully my tendies go relatively well through the end of the year and maybe I can pick something in gold in early 2022.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the GO is a better watch for the $. Moonphase, date discs that don't suck, and finishing that is "close enough" to the Lange. I wish it was a manual wind as it's a bit on the thicc side of things for a dress watch, but hey. Also GO prices used are still pretty low whereas Lange just took off. Probably deserved but it makes the GO an even better deal.

74465175_10162462683005468_86007445951873024_n.jpg

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am in minority but I don't think that Lange 1 dial lay out is aging well. It looks like something cooked up in the 1990s and should be redesigned now or forgotten.
But then I don't like royal oak design either...

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to like the GO but it just didn't do anything for me on my wrist.

I still hope to get a Lange 1 before the price goes any higher...

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to like the GO but it just didn't do anything for me on my wrist.

I still hope to get a Lange 1 before the price goes any higher...

I think they are going to keep going up for a bit because Richemont is cutting down on discounting so aggressively. It’s impacting second hand values quite a bit! Used to be easy to buy any Lange with a 30% discount and now it seems impossible to get that...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this Cartier love is pushing me over the line of finally getting the Mrs a Tank LC. Her birthday is coming up and she just signed a new employment contract that should keep me in fine wine and douchemobiles for the foreseeable future. The Palo Alto boutique apparently has one in stock.

View attachment 1625144

Happy Birthday to the Mrs.! The Tank LC is a classic. You simply can't go wrong with one. I've had mine for over a decade and I never get tired of wearing it or looking at it!

I’ve never been a fan of the RG and black Cintrée. I’ve always preferred the YG champagne dial.

I like the Santos Dumont and I’m glad I can pull off the XL size. I’m not too big a fan of the RG version though. I also tried on the Tank LC and those are really nice in the classic L size. Hopefully my tendies go relatively well through the end of the year and maybe I can pick something in gold in early 2022.

Yes, I've noticed you like champagne dials. I remember the 15202 in yellow gold that you posted with a champagne dial. I tried that one on in Vegas a few years ago and it didn't do anything for me. I guess I'm just not a champagne dial guy, but that's good for you since I'm one less guy on the waiting list to buy one. ;)

The Santos Dumont in an XL size is still very wearable. Its another classic from them. If puts a smile on your face they definitely go for it! I also like as mentioned above the Tank LC. I have other non-round watches, but the Tank LC is my favorite. Wishing you luck with adding one in 2022!

I actually think the GO is a better watch for the $. Moonphase, date discs that don't suck, and finishing that is "close enough" to the Lange. I wish it was a manual wind as it's a bit on the thicc side of things for a dress watch, but hey. Also GO prices used are still pretty low whereas Lange just took off. Probably deserved but it makes the GO an even better deal.

View attachment 1625284

I would buy a Senator or other GO, but never a Pano. The Lange is the original, the GO Pano merely plagiarized the design of the L1. They even borrowed the same style hands. Anyway, I've written plenty about these two in the past so I'll leave it at that.

Watch out @Ebitdaddy, I think you just poked all the GO haters in this thread. :crackup:
I've behaved and limited my comments. See above. ;) :rotflmao:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads