• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
I've basically decided that if I can get a reasonable sum for my Hermes H08, I will sell it and likely two or three other watches and get a Santos. I don't need to sell all of them to buy it, I just kind of want to, but at the same time I don't think I will sell the others on the docket unless the Hermes gets sold first.

I hope I can arrange it soon, but I'm going to be patient as I don't really need to do any of this.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by this watch, but isn't the whole point that it is designed to be worn goofy? It just looks odd when worn normally.

think about it though; if you’re arm is in a sling, you can look at it and the dial will look straight.

With a traditional watch face, you have to rotate and abduct your arm to position the dial so that 12 o’clock is at top.

I know it just opened today, but I wonder if any of our NYC brethren have gone into the new VC boutique on 57th.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll see. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I'll be happy to keep it.

Doesn't look like there are many for sale right now (1 through watchrecon, 2 on chrono24). Be interested to see how you do.

pmeis

Reaction score
Doesn't look like there are many for sale right now (1 through watchrecon, 2 on chrono24). Be interested to see how you do.

The watchrecon one is mine ;)

Hadn't checked on Chrono24, those are too much...people should buy mine :)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watchrecon one is mine ;)

Hadn't checked on Chrono24, those are too much...people should buy mine :)

You, too, could probably charge $1,000 more if you'd done the smart thing and gotten the orange strap ;)

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by this watch, but isn't the whole point that it is designed to be worn goofy? It just looks odd when worn normally.

It's definitely a watch that isn't shy about being, shall we say, eccentric? I've heard various stories about the origin of the design, such as that it was ment to make it easier to tell the time when you had your hands on a steering wheel, or that a preacher asked for a watch that would make it easy to subtly check how long he'd been going for while giving a sermon. Dunno if any of them are true, but I can see how the design actually makes it easier for the wearer to tell the time at a glance, especially when using a keyboard. .

But really, I just think it's a design that works for me. In a world of steel sports watches, this... isn't. It's a dress watch that isn't strict and definitely not subtle. I've tried lots of dress watches: Lange, Patek, VC Patrimony (and today traditionelle, which I wanted to like more than I did), Chopard LUC, Blancpain, Breguet (which I DID like a lot)... but I think this is on a different level.

Maybe that just says a lot about me. Wanting to be eccentric and hoping a watch will take me there!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@pmeis - why is the H08 leaving the stable?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's definitely a watch that isn't shy about being, shall we say, eccentric? I've heard various stories about the origin of the design, such as that it was ment to make it easier to tell the time when you had your hands on a steering wheel, or that a preacher asked for a watch that would make it easy to subtly check how long he'd been going for while giving a sermon. Dunno if any of them are true, but I can see how the design actually makes it easier for the wearer to tell the time at a glance, especially when using a keyboard. .

But really, I just think it's a design that works for me. In a world of steel sports watches, this... isn't. It's a dress watch that isn't strict and definitely not subtle. I've tried lots of dress watches: Lange, Patek, VC Patrimony (and today traditionelle, which I wanted to like more than I did), Chopard LUC, Blancpain, Breguet (which I DID like a lot)... but I think this is on a different level.

Maybe that just says a lot about me. Wanting to be eccentric and hoping a watch will take me there!
I like it because it's a modern interpretation of those early field watches where the servicemen were modifying their pocket watches to be wrist watches. I love that askew aesthetic; it just looks so functional to me.
Many times when I look down at my wrist it's at about a 25-45 degree angle, so it's perfectly turned for my use!

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I like it because it's a modern interpretation of those early field watches where the servicemen were modifying their pocket watches to be wrist watches. I love that askew aesthetic; it just looks so functional to me.
Many times when I look down at my wrist it's at about a 25-45 degree angle, so it's perfectly turned for my use!

If you have one, perhaps you can advice: is it worth giving up all other watch dreams for a few years to get it? :)

pmeis

Reaction score
@pmeis - why is the H08 leaving the stable?

With the return to my normal work life seemingly around the corner and thinking of work travel again, I started thinking about what I'd really like to wear "out there" as life gets back to normal. The Santos really sings to me for this purpose and I don't think it makes sense to have two basically square watches of the same size. I'll of course continue to wear my Zenith Shadow and or one of my Nomos for work as week, but I think like one premium perfectly suitable all rounder that pairs up as more of an equal to the Zenith would be a better fit. There are of course many other watches that would suit this idea as well, but the Santos is the leader in the clubhouse and I'm not going to do it if it doesn't work out the way I want it to.

The H08 feels to me like an ideal 4th or 5th watch for someone who has a bit spendier of a collection than I have, whereas I'm kinda asking it to be a number one or two if any of this makes sense...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the return to my normal work life seemingly around the corner and thinking of work travel again, I started thinking about what I'd really like to wear "out there" as life gets back to normal. The Santos really sings to me for this purpose and I don't think it makes sense to have two basically square watches of the same size. I'll of course continue to wear my Zenith Shadow and or one of my Nomos for work as week, but I think like one premium perfectly suitable all rounder that pairs up as more of an equal to the Zenith would be a better fit. There are of course many other watches that would suit this idea as well, but the Santos is the leader in the clubhouse and I'm not going to do it if it doesn't work out the way I want it to.

The H08 feels to me like an ideal 4th or 5th watch for someone who has a bit spendier of a collection than I have, whereas I'm kinda asking it to be a number one or two if any of this makes sense...

which iteration are you liking with the santos? Just curious as I’m eyeing one as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads